The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I can get a LOT of mileage from the neck pickup on a Tele... a great neck pickup gives a full, fat tone that works for jazz, blues, rock... even just "expressive" noodling!

The bridge pickup, while defining THE Telecaster sound, is a bit more limited in it's scope, but when you need THAT tone, there's really nothing like it!

Since I don't currently own a Telecaster, I don't have to choose! I'll let you know when I find the right one for me...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I owned a Tele once with a four position switch. You could choose the two pickups in parallel on one setting and series on another. Opens up more options. I still prefer bridge alone, however.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM

I like the bridge position for lead and the neck or sometimes middle combination for rhythm. (Three position covers it all).

Last edited by Steel and wood; 12-30-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:49 PM

I owned one of the first late-CBS '52 reissues back in the '80s-90s, which I had rewired with a five-way switch; my two faves were neck PU + .047 cap (think Stephen Stills' smoky-toned extended solos on "Wooden Ships") and, as Frank stated above, both pickups in series. Since I'm almost exclusively a clean player, I could (and did) do entire gigs on those two positions alone; that neck/cap combo was great for vintage jazz tones (especially with the flatwounds I was using), and the series setup was not only very dynamically responsive but offered a broad variety of tone color depending where you picked - not to mention more front-end drive power than you're used to getting from stock Tele pickups...
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 PM

Post Deleted

Last edited by Dadzmad; 10-02-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
...and the series setup was not only very dynamically responsive but offered a broad variety of tone color depending where you picked - not to mention more front-end drive power than you're used to getting from stock Tele pickups...
And that's why I use mostly the middle with 2 pu's
Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Here's a dirty little secret you can try.Want that classic country tele tone? Neck pickup and pick right down by the bridge saddles into a compressor.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-02-2018, 09:33 PM

I only ever use the neck pickup. I like the clean, jazzy sound.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 AM

I like all three, and use whichever strikes my fancy. I do find that I like neck more with bigger, cleaner amps as the bridge can get a touch harsh. I also will tend to hang out on the neck pickup with an overdriven amp to get more bite and clarity, although the bridge with tone rolled a bit off is also lovely.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-03-2018, 02:11 PM

I have a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy. Their version of the Thinline with a humbucker in the neck. That neck humbucker is sweet thru my Hot Rod DeVille 410's clean channel with a touch of reverb and the tone knob about 50%.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug MacPherson View Post
Since the Telecaster appears to be a popular electric guitar option, what would be your favorite pickup position: Bridge only, Bridge and neck, or neck only?
Both pickups with volume & tone fully up.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:45 PM

I received a Tele today from another Forum member. It is the new Fender MIM with a new name, the American Standard or ? He replaced the stock pick ups with Fender Noiseless. Still sounds like a Tele. I used it at band practice today with the Victoria Tweed Deluxe.

Twangy!

For the music we’re playing, I found the bridge pickup was the most authentic for playing with a pedal steel.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I received a Tele today from another Forum member. It is the new Fender MIM with a new name, the American Standard or ? He replaced the stock pick ups with Fender Noiseless. Still sounds like a Tele. I used it at band practice today with the Victoria Tweed Deluxe.

Twangy!

For the music we’re playing, I found the bridge pickup was the most authentic for playing with a pedal steel.
The MIM Standard has now been succeeded by the “Player Telecaster” with Alnico V magnet pickups; with stock 6 bent-steel saddles it sounds like you’re getting full bite. These MIMs have nice soft action at the first fret right from the factory, every time I see them in store.
Last time I had a Tele it was always on bridge; going with individual steel saddles next time around rather than brass barrel.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-06-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

The bridge pickup is definitely the strength of the telecaster. The neck is good but nobody buys a tele for the neck pickup. I’m not a bridge pickup guy, so I play a strat, where the neck pickup is it’s strength along with its two in-between positions. And it’s bridge pickup is onlyuseful combined with the middle. I’ve had teles and I like em just fine on their own, but when I have a strat and a tele, the tele never gets played. And I always have a strat. So now I have a tele with dual P-90s which plays like a tele but sounds like P-90s. That one gets played...
Old 10-06-2018, 12:22 AM

Default Favorite Telecaster Pickup position or combo

I played in a country band for a good few years with a Fender 52 Nocaster into a Vox AC30 . For me the ace in the Teles hole is the tone control . Bridge pick up and turn the tone control back a quarter turn turn play all your steel guitar licks with a bit of 350ms delay and reverb , don't forget the volume pedal. In my view the Jerry Donahue Tele hits the target with the five way switching and the Strat neck pickup
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars