The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
Out of sheer curiosity what type of new musical instrument costs 2.8 million dollars? Just interested. I think of a massive pipe organ perhaps.
LOL, did I mention musical instruments? I was more thinking in the line of high end medical imaging equipment...
Old 01-26-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
The whole point of marketing is to maximize the value proposition to make the product look as attractive as possible, for the sole purpose to sell as much as possible. You accentuate what you feel are the strong points and hide negatives. ANY competent marketer should do that.

At the end of the day, the quality of the new guitars will speak for itself in the long run. But if you don't drum up interest at launch, you've sabotaged the product from the get-go. I'm guessing Taylor didn't spend all the money and resources on the new design to accompany it with a meek, unexciting product launch.
I don't think anyone doubts that the Taylor marketing team is good at what they do. They hit a home run with the market. So much so that they have BIG shoes to fill now.

Again, it's kind of like Ford promising better fuel economy from an F-150 due to an aluminum body. Funny thing, is my Chevy Silverado averages 2.5 mpg better than my buddies F-150
Old 01-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Default I discovered where Taylor got their marketing inspiration from...!

OK folks, here is some Marketing that even the Taylor Marketeers can still learn from...

LOL

Thanks to barno on gitaarnet.nl
Old 01-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

If this has already been written, I apologize for the duplication. I couldn’t possibly make my way through all the pages of this thread.

To the OP, it seems you have an emotional attachment/investment in this company. That seems to me to be the issue. It’s a company. Not a person you’re in a relationship with. No disrespect meant. You’re making judgements as if it were otherwise. My opinion.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 PM

Falling out of my chair!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

The best cork-sniffer slam I've seen. Enjoyed it!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:31 PM

I pee pee'd my pants. Just a little.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:37 PM

This is Perfect... Hoping the moderators find this in good humor.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 01-26-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

That was awesome!

Some guitars
Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Default wood tones VS trademark sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker2 View Post
Humor is so subjective, almost like the tone of a guitar...
Okay and this is where I say my piece.
I agree, picker2. Enough with the marketing. A/B them against other bracings.
(disclosure: husband has a revoiced 612, and in my opinion the maple sounds so much better than the previous line)
I am a beginner guitarist. But I have the good fortune of a spouse who likes to go to guitar shops all over the country. Therefore, I have played around with a LOT of guitars, dated from late 1800's to now. (thank you Gruhn guitar and Music Folk for indulging me time and time again)
To some extent, all Martins sound like Martins. My Little Martin is not far off in sound to the lower end small bodied "touring models". Martins HAVE to sound like Martins. Ditto Gibson, Taylor, etc.

Taylor can only do so much with the sound they have chosen. It is a modern sound. I get why they need to sell us on new bracing making it more "Taylor-esque". But it still has to sound like a Taylor.

What picker2 said about tone is my whole "thing". I want guitars that sound like themselves. I really wish Taylor and Martin would seek out unique tonewood pairings that have cool sounds with a dab of the trademark.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Hey, it's all in good fun. Andy Powers has forgotten more about guitars than I will ever know.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

As a player I've never been a Taylor fan, but as a marketer I admire what they've done. Think about it: In the seventies, they entered an extremely mature market and very quickly became a major force. This is almost impossible to do in ANY business.

Funny, I was listening to an interview with comedian Adam Corolla on the radio yesterday, and he and the host were acknowledging how important marketing was to building their careers. The host and Corolla BOTH agreed that marketing is more important than talent.

So, I don't play their products, but my hat goes off to them for doing such an incredible job in bringing their guitars to market. No one -- with the possible exception of Yamaha -- has done it better in the last fifty years.

scott memmer
Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

That's hilarious but in a way a good reminder of how carried away some of us can get.

Rob
Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
As a player I've never been a Taylor fan, but as a marketer I admire what they've done. Think about it: In the seventies, they entered an extremely mature market and very quickly became a major force. This is almost impossible to do in ANY business.

Funny, I was listening to an interview with comedian Adam Corolla on the radio yesterday, and he and the host were acknowledging how important marketing was to building their careers. The host and Corolla BOTH agreed that marketing is more important than talent.

So, I don't play their products, but my hat goes off to them for doing such an incredible job in bringing their guitars to market. No one -- with the possible exception of Yamaha -- has done it better in the last fifty years.

scott memmer

First time I ran my fingers over an FS800, I said "done". Love it. Husband sold his fg700 last night. We both were teary eyed. Yamaha=delightful guitars.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Perfect! Thanks for posting.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion