The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Do you have any insight as to why some people have problems with regard to buzzing etc?
It could be a matter of how people apply the capo. I love my G7. I think someone mentioned that they press the capo sting pad onto the strings, then squeeze the back in to keep it in place. This is how I affix the capo. With the capo wide open, I get it into position, "barre" the strings with the capo, then squeeze the back to hold the capo in the position I set it in. Maybe I've gotten used to it, but by pressing it straight down like I'm barring a chord, I have no intonation issues, no buzzing and it's a good, solid contact every time, on every guitar I own, electric or acoustic. Taught my 17-year old daughter the same technique, no problem on her GS-Mini or her Reverend Guitar. Though on the 12-string she prefers her Kyser.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Capos seem like simple devices, but they aren't really that simple. There are a few important factors that affect their performance, and the manufacturers seem to ignore those and market a bunch of stuff that nobody needs/wants.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 11-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
It could be a matter of how people apply the capo. I love my G7. I think someone mentioned that they press the capo sting pad onto the strings, then squeeze the back in to keep it in place. This is how I affix the capo. With the capo wide open, I get it into position, "barre" the strings with the capo, then squeeze the back to hold the capo in the position I set it in. Maybe I've gotten used to it, but by pressing it straight down like I'm barring a chord, I have no intonation issues, no buzzing and it's a good, solid contact every time, on every guitar I own, electric or acoustic. Taught my 17-year old daughter the same technique, no problem on her GS-Mini or her Reverend Guitar. Though on the 12-string she prefers her Kyser.
That's the way I do it and put the the capo right behind the frets to avoid sharpening. I find it so simple to use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion