The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Moderator note: This thread had been doing very well at staying on-track, but has begun to drift. Please refrain from unnecessary banter and stick to the subject. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Bow season for deer starts in IL on Oct 1, although the weather has been mild enough that they aren't moving much yet. Gotta get a few cold days to get the bucks riled up for the Rut.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:01 AM

Rifle season for whitetail deer is on here in Minnesota. Tens of thousands of families and individuals pack gear to travel "up north", live in the woods and hunt together. Sharing old stories and making new ones. Locals have been doing this here since before the Ojibway took this country from the Dakota. Every deer dies one way or another and a good hunter will do a better job than a car or chronic waisting disease.
The three generations of our family haven't got any deer yet. But we have seen turkeys, eagles, geese and swans, and I had a Northern Shrike perch right next to me. He was hunting also. It's the only time of the year I really get to sit in the woods.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Never hunted, never appealed to me, however I fully respect those who do, but only with the purpose of feeding their families. I am opposed to trophy hunting, especially hunting of exotic species. I’m sorry, I just have a hard time accepting the fact that someone would shoot a magnificent creation of nature just to have its head mounted above a fireplace. Perhaps it’s just the way I am “wired”, but I’d just rather see these beautiful creatures living in their environment than seeing their heads on display. I think I could handle it much better if trophy hunters went “hand to hand” (I guess I could accept knife in hand) to give the hunter a better chance, no rifles, then the hunter could brag about how much stronger than a grizzly, tiger or lion he/she really is.
I think the closest I could ever come to hunting would be with a paintball gun, then you’d see a bunch of multicoloured lions and tigers running around the wild, then again, I would have harassed these poor creatures
Old 11-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I’m fine with legal hunting and eating what you kill. To kill only for sport has always seemed senseless. Years ago, most big game fisherman in the Gulf of Mexico banded together pretty well to adopt catch and release of big fish like sailfish, blue and white marlin, and I believe even swordfish because overfishing began to have dire effects. It would make me happy to see trophy hunters on land take a similar attitude of “shooting” a magnificent animal with a camera rather than a gun. The sport would be in tracking and stalking the animal and then to take joy in allowing it to live and let others have the same pleasure.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:11 PM

"I believe hunting is much more humane than putting animals on feedlots. That is terrible. "

He has a valid point here.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:08 PM

I used to hunt, back in the day as they say. As a matter of fact, hunting was second nature to me as well as most of the guys I hung around with. None of us would ever think of killing an animal for fun because we ate everything we harvested.
I have no qualms about hunting at all, even though I haven’t done it for decades and doubt I ever will again at my age.
As the OP is hunting in southern Ohio, I’m originally from a little farther north of him and on the western side of the state. The bucks grow large in that part of the state, where they feed on corn and beans, and have little in the way of natural predators. The biggest problem there is finding land to hunt on that isn’t posted.
I wish you much success OP!
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Well I’ve view my post the last few days and must say it was never meant to be controversial. Around here most folks hunt some critter or another. Not sure what is considered hunting for sport? Every hunter I know hunts for meat and or antlers (in which case they still eat the deer). For the random low life individuals that randomly shoot deer and cut their heads off or cut the back straps and leave the rest lay to rot I have no use for that kind of stuff. In my opion there’s not much better than ethical hunting and much better eating than anything you’ll find in a store.
Anyway my luck changed tonight with a nice buck so I’m on cloud nine. Lol

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-18-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Removed religious reference
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Interesting information here. Down here in Texas, we do like our hunting. And I'll say we have some funny and weird incidents. In deep south Texas, some of the ranchers have issues with illegals marching through and damaging some property and using personal facilities. There is also a large issue with wild hogs destroying a lot of farm land in most parts of Texas. The amount of land these critters damage is mind boggling. Lots of people "hunt hogs" just to save some land and most of the meat is donated to local food banks or processors.

I grew up in New Mexico, so have been hunting and fishing all of my life, not so much in the last few years, but the fire is still burning in that part of my basement. Even getting a new guitar is not like being in the country walking around and playing hide and seek with game animals.

Best to all.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM

My views are skewed. A friend of mine was shot in the leg by a hunter then left to die, the hunter took off to avoid prosecution. He crawled for 6 hours to get to a house for help, took him over a year to recover.

Then some years later we were hiking North of Vancouver in an isolated logging road system and someone started shooting and me and my wife. We heard the bullets ping off the rocks around us as we got around some bends and out of range presumably, of the gun guy.

Since then I have viewed hunters as drunk yahoos who go swinging their gun around to feel powerful, without any sense of conscience.

I know this is not the case. But funny how one really bad incident colors our view.

Since then I have struggled to see how killing something would be fun. I can understand tracking, or being hungry and finding food, but of all the things we could do to entertain ourselves, this seems rather "fun at the expense of others". Maybe its time to rethink hunting. Maybe even long time hunters can learn photography for tracking and full contact martial arts for a thrill.

That having been said, as long as I eat meat and wear leather, I would have to say that any animal hunted has a much better life and fate than a feed lot cow. So unless I can be a vegan who abhors leather and tallow, I should not criticize.

So have a good hunt this season OP!

D.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:21 PM

I'm a sport shooter but have never hunted. Seems like hunting goes in the family, and I didn't get it through my parents or grandparents. Who knows, I still might do it.

One point frequently made in my corner of the world is that it is better to have the moose or deer on your plate, than through the windshield of your car.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 11-18-2018, 12:57 PM

I just finished reading an article about how we hunters shouldn’t post pictures on social media of our hunting experiences with dead game in the picture. I can see not posting pictures of bloody carcasses that may offend folks who don’t hunt, but I see nothing wrong with posting pictures of yourself with a nice buck you have taken recently for example, as long as the picture isn’t gruesome, gory or disrespectful to the animal. But when it comes to hunting, I guess some folks are easily offended so no matter what image you post you will be criticized for it. Just the world we live in now. And my family and I do consume everything we harvest btw. Nothing better in the world than venison if it’s properly prepared.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I just finished reading an article about how we hunters shouldn’t post pictures on social media of our hunting experiences with dead game in the picture. I can see not posting pictures of bloody carcasses that may offend folks who don’t hunt, but I see nothing wrong with posting pictures of yourself with a nice buck you have taken recently for example, as long as the picture isn’t gruesome, gory or disrespectful to the animal. But when it comes to hunting, I guess some folks are easily offended so no matter what image you post you will be criticized for it. Just the world we live in now. And my family and I do consume everything we harvest btw. Nothing better in the world than venison if it’s properly prepared.
If people are offended by a picture, they shouldn't look at it.
It's not your problem, it's theirs.

Good grief.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
How on earth could it possibly not be disrespectful to the animal? I don't want to get into an argument or break rule #1 of the AGF, but I don't think it is possible to pose with an animal that you killed, that had no means of defending itself, that had no ill intentions toward you, that was not threatening you whatsoever, in any way that is anything other than disrespectful to the animal. You could be more disrepectful, or less disrespectful, but I don't see how you could not be disrespectful to the animal.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
How on earth could it possibly not be disrespectful to the animal? I don't want to get into an argument or break rule #1 of the AGF, but I don't think it is possible to pose with an animal that you killed, that had no means of defending itself, that had no ill intentions toward you, that was not threatening you whatsoever, in any way that is anything other than disrespectful to the animal. You could be more disrepectful, or less disrespectful, but I don't see how you could not be disrespectful to the animal.
Steve, I can see by your post count that you haven’t been around here too long and I’ll cut you some slack because of that brother. But your post is out of line and will probably get this very interesting thread closed down. If you disagree with someone’s opinion on the AGF to the extent that you obviously do, it’s best to keep it to yourself and move on to some other topic. Just sayin’.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic