The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM

Default Interested in opinions: will be buying/trading/selling

First off, I'm relatively new to all this forum biz, so if I mis-step, appologies in advance. I'm interested in feedback cause there are a lot of good guitars out there, I've played many, but not all to be sure, and I'm moving into new territory. I've sold off a number of great guitars over the past few years, a Dupont, Sadowsky, Dobro, Belleza Nera, Bourgie OMC koa, Schoenberg among others. I'm looking to fill out the family again with two to three new members.

Due to a bike crash (me on bicycle, car ran stop sign) I've had a series of surgeries on my left, fretting, hand. I got the O to use as I recovered from surgery. When I play (most frequently bluegrass, old timey, swing or gypsy) my hand fatigues and hurts when I use my CW--up until now, my go to guitar.

I've decided to jump into the short scale world. My preference is for Adi tops, mahogony bodies for most things, though I know I want to get maple, maybe in a Lucas style. I'm fascinated by Kopp, Walker, Fairbanks and many new builders. I'm also curious about Collings CJ's. I am hoping to sell or trade the Stratton and maybe the CW. My thinking is to hold on to the CW for a while to make sure I'm happy with the sound and feel of the slope. I'm also looking at getting a small body (Nick Lucas or OM) and maybe an inexpensive 16" arch top (may have that solved as I'm going between an Eastman 805 and a Loar 700).

There you go. I'm eager to hear thoughts on wood combos I've not considered and the builders I mentioned and any in there league. Since I'm looking at getting a few guitars, I want to keep the investment down, so I'm probably looking at used. If I go new, it will only be on one guitar, and I may do a custom.

I welcome the conversation. Thanks

Collings Clarence White
Collings CW Hog
Collings OM 1 AT
Kevin Kopp Nick Lucas maple
Composite Acoustic Cargo
Sorrenson Jazz Sprite
Janish custom A 4
Old 01-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jess, looks as if you have a pretty good herd already.

Regarding archtops - go Eastman rather than Loar (I've had both - kept the Eastman).

I'm a flat-picker too - short scale didn't work for me.
You already know about the quality of Collings - doesn't that tell you something ?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Interesting question, JES! You'll certainly have a lot of good options to consider. As you know, buying used can stretch your buying power, IF you know what you are doing and can find what you're looking for. With your experience, you have a better shot at that than most people.

One possibility to consider is to become an AGF Charter Member so you can begin a thread in our Classifies about what you hope to find. I've seen others have pretty good luck with it.

Keep us posted, will you?

cotten
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM

you may want to look at custom SmoothStone acoustics.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks Cotten, I'll check out the Charter member section to see what it's about. I have read the classifieds...Thanks.

Collings Clarence White
Collings CW Hog
Collings OM 1 AT
Kevin Kopp Nick Lucas maple
Composite Acoustic Cargo
Sorrenson Jazz Sprite
Janish custom A 4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
kopp, nick lucas, short scale, slope shoulder, walker