The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-06-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I have wondered why Sweetwater still sends these catalogs out, but the idea that others are contributing to the expense makes sense.

Ironically, I was just leafing through mine! I didn't get very far, really... It's not that I need more stuff!

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2021, 02:12 PM

I love catalogs! The Sweetwater one is fun because I find myself looking at things I didn't know existed, and I never would have clicked on their website to find out what something actually was.

And I'm sure they run the numbers and have found out that catalogs like that improve their bottom line, otherwise they wouldn't bother.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Trying hard to buy things from Sweetwater, but I went on their website (crazy I know) and they just didn't have what I was looking for the last two times. Probably because all the paper catalog buyers are cleaning them out.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
I love catalogs! The Sweetwater one is fun because I find myself looking at things I didn't know existed, and I never would have clicked on their website to find out what something actually was.

And I'm sure they run the numbers and have found out that catalogs like that improve their bottom line, otherwise they wouldn't bother.
Big fan of print catalogs here, too. I thought Sweetwater must have stopped publishing theirs, as I haven't received one for a while. I was happy to go to their website and ask them to send me one
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM

Curious to think that 98% of what they sell would be useless without electricity. There is a ton of stuff in there that I can't offer even a clue what one would want it for. Still, it's a very good company, pleasant to do business with. I wish they have more stuff that I needed; I might even be satisfied with things that I wanted.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Curious to think that 98% of what they sell would be useless without electricity. There is a ton of stuff in there that I can't offer even a clue what one would want it for. Still, it's a very good company, pleasant to do business with. I wish they have more stuff that I needed; I might even be satisfied with things that I wanted.
I don’t follow. 98% of most of the stuff you use in your home that does something runs on electricity and would be useless without it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-13-2021, 06:00 AM

Wait until you accidentally find yourself on the Restoration Hardware mailing list. Then you'll see what a real over-the-top full color print catalog looks like.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I'm with rokdog on not understanding the point ? (understanding that 98% was just an arbitrary percentage to contrast the significant amount electronic goods Sweetwater deals in ) My guess (also arbitrary), would be given the range of acoustic instruments and the numerous non electrical accessories, it is likely more like 80-90 %. But be that as it may ......

Isn't most of what is sold in any catalog, things any specific individual is going to neither want or buy ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-13-2021, 07:45 AM

I received two! My wife ordered me some strings once, so she also is on their list. I just called the 800 number on the catalogue and asked that we both be removed. My postman just jumped for joy!

scott
Old 04-13-2021, 03:17 PM

What's worse, getting free catalogs in the mail or getting too many ketchup packets in your fast food order?

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 04-13-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I will look through mine and recycle it when the next one arrives. I liked the Sears catalog at Christmas. Times change. I might use it to to test bullet penetration from my .357 reloads before recycling.
It will blast right through it with ease. Your forum name alnico wouldn't have anything to do with a material that JBL used to use in their speaker magnet structures would it?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if the manufacturers are paying for it? I mean, it is advertising and Sweetwater is probably one of their biggest distributors. It wouldn't surprise me if they are paying for it as advertisement.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 04-14-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:16 AM

I stopped at Sweetwater last week while on my current coast-to-coast road trip.

It's freaking massive. They've got a performance venue, eateries, an employee gym and a medical clinic, among other things:

Their actual music store is pretty small in comparison to the rest of the campus. They have a Fort Wayne (IN) police officer at the front desk. He told me the campus takes up so much real estate that it actually warrants police department services as opposed to private security.

As for the catalog, meh, I don't care either way. I do know people who love getting catalogs, though, and people who won't shop online, so I guess it helps those folks out...
Old 04-15-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post

It's freaking massive. They've got a performance venue, eateries, an employee gym and a medical clinic, among other things:

Their actual music store is pretty small in comparison to the rest of the campus. They have a Fort Wayne (IN) police officer at the front desk. He told me the campus takes up so much real estate that it actually warrants police department services as opposed to private security.
Most large building in downtown San Francisco also have an SFPD officer in the lobby every day, so I guess it’s not uncommon, but that’s an incredible operation they have going there. Thanks for the pic and the run down.

Must be a nice company to work for. Would be fascinating to speak with the founders about their business philosophy.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
They have a Fort Wayne (IN) police officer at the front desk. He told me the campus takes up so much real estate that it actually warrants police department services as opposed to private security.
Did you ask him what his musical weapon of choice is

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic