The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-03-2021, 02:49 PM
LakewoodM32Fan LakewoodM32Fan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,115
Default Anyone else get unsolicited "freebies" from Strings and Beyond?

So a USPS priority mail package arrived for me today from Strings and Beyond. I hadn't ordered anything from them in a while (but when I do, it tended to be a big order, like when they had a BOGO for D'addario EXPs I bought over a dozen sets).

Thinking my account had been hacked, I checked my online account with S&B, as well as my credit cards. No recent activity on either front.

So I opened the package. Within is a set of DR Veritas Acoustic 12-54 strings "bonus 2 free strings" it says on the package, and a NuTone Clayton Premium Series heavy pick. Oh and a postcard sized "free JamPlay membership" whatever that means.

No receipt.

No packing slip.

No sign of the package being pre-opened (it was sealed when I got it). The address label is clearly to me, but there is nothing inside indicating a sale, nothing in my account on their website indicating anything was ordered or shipped to me in months (since their BOGO sale over the summer). And nothing on my credit cards.

This happen to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, if it's a "thank you for doing a lot of business with us" I'm totally down for that, but a note of appreciation to explain why I got this would have been nice.

Or maybe this is karma. I ordered a Nutone Clayton pick months ago from Guitar Center which never arrived. Their CSR claimed they'd refund my money. They never did. It was only $5 so I just chalked it up as a loss, it's not worth my time to keep going at it with their CSR...guess I got that Nutone pick after all!
__________________
Collings OM2H (Baked Sitka/EIR), Huss & Dalton TD-R (Baked Adi/EIR), Lakewood M32 (Sitka/EIR)
Martin D-18 MD (Baked Sitka/Mahogany), Santa Cruz OM (Adi/EIR) & OM/PW (Redwood/EIR),
Taylor Custom GA (Cedar/Cocobolo/Koa)
, K24ce 12-fret LTD (all-Koa) & K14c (Baked Sitka/Koa)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 15,454
Default

I wish!
I've been waiting for their yearly 'Free International Shipping' offer tp place a good size order but they haven't had one since the pandemic.
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Historic 1957 SJ-200
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2021, 03:25 PM
Dryfly Dryfly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Albuquerque/Taos
Posts: 589
Default

No but do check out the Veritas strings. They're really good on the right guitar, in my case the Santa Cruz.
__________________
Kopp K-35
Santa Cruz D-12
Composite Acoustics Cargo/Carbon Burst
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2021, 03:30 PM
dwasifar dwasifar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Within is a set of DR Veritas Acoustic 12-54 strings "bonus 2 free strings" it says on the package, and a NuTone Clayton Premium Series heavy pick. Oh and a postcard sized "free JamPlay membership" whatever that means.

No receipt.

No packing slip.

No sign of the package being pre-opened (it was sealed when I got it). The address label is clearly to me, but there is nothing inside indicating a sale, nothing in my account on their website indicating anything was ordered or shipped to me in months (since their BOGO sale over the summer). And nothing on my credit cards.

This happen to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, if it's a "thank you for doing a lot of business with us" I'm totally down for that, but a note of appreciation to explain why I got this would have been nice.
I'm guessing it's a mixup. They were intended for someone else, probably with a similar name, and they picked your address out of the database by mistake.

If it were me, I'd contact them and ask. If it's not a mixup, you'll learn the real reason; if it is a mixup, you'll have the satisfaction of having done the right thing, and they'll appreciate you for letting them know they still owe the other guy something.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Wellington Wellington is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 924
Default

Not with strings, but the exact thing happened with a $450 dollar smart watch from Amazon in late November/ early December. We posted about it, I've contacted Amazon twice, the first time through email and the second over the phone, a claim thing was started and they never got back to me either time. I decided not to spend more of my time and energy trying to straighten it out with a company owned by the richest man in the world, I'm going to sell it now I guess, I could really use the money right now anyway, trying to sell one of my guitars as it is to pay the bills!

Anyway, accept the gift and try them out!
__________________
Currently strumming and picking:
Guild D-40 Traditional
Yamaha LL16
Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk
Godin 5th Avenue (non electric)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Last edited by Wellington; 03-03-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2021, 09:41 PM
dwasifar dwasifar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I could really use the money right now anyway, trying to sell one of my guitars as it is to pay the bills!
Which one?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Ralph124C41 Ralph124C41 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Southern Tier, New York
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Not with strings, but the exact thing happened with a $450 dollar smart watch from Amazon in late November/ early December. We posted about it, I've contacted Amazon twice, the first time through email and the second over the phone, a claim thing was started and they never got back to me either time. I decided not to spend more of my time and energy trying to straighten it out with a company owned by the richest man in the world, I'm going to sell it now I guess, I could really use the money right now anyway, trying to sell one of my guitars as it is to pay the bills!

Anyway, accept the gift and try them out!
It's my understanding that the FTC says you don't have to return items that you get that you did not order. In fact, legally you are not even obligated to contact the seller. Again, that's my understanding so maybe somebody can fill in the blanks. Ethically, of course, you would try to contact the seller. But legally, you're home free.
__________________
Martin X1-DE
Epiphone AJ500MSN
Alvarez AD30
Alvarez AJ80
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 03-03-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2021, 07:04 AM
Wellington Wellington is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Which one?
My S&P, not worth much, $500 CAD.
__________________
Currently strumming and picking:
Guild D-40 Traditional
Yamaha LL16
Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk
Godin 5th Avenue (non electric)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 AM
Wellington Wellington is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
It's my understanding that the FTC says you don't have to return items that you get that you did not order. In fact, legally you are not even obligated to contact the seller. Again, that's my understanding so maybe somebody can fill in the blanks. Ethically, of course, you would try to contact the seller. But legally, you're home free.
Good to know! I'll have to look into it
__________________
Currently strumming and picking:
Guild D-40 Traditional
Yamaha LL16
Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk
Godin 5th Avenue (non electric)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2021, 07:58 AM
Nymuso Nymuso is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
It's my understanding that the FTC says you don't have to return items that you get that you did not order. In fact, legally you are not even obligated to contact the seller. Again, that's my understanding so maybe somebody can fill in the blanks. Ethically, of course, you would try to contact the seller. But legally, you're home free.
That is correct. I used to belong to an organization that is famous for bombarding you with requests for money for various “urgent” projects. Easy to ignore. Then one day I got a DVD instructional course in the mail that I had not ordered. They said I could send it back or pay for it. I did neither. What I did do was contact them telling them I was done with them and threw the “course” into the trash.
__________________
I tend not to revisit threads or my posts. PM any questions.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2021, 08:42 AM
dwasifar dwasifar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
That is correct. I used to belong to an organization that is famous for bombarding you with requests for money for various “urgent” projects. Easy to ignore. Then one day I got a DVD instructional course in the mail that I had not ordered. They said I could send it back or pay for it. I did neither. What I did do was contact them telling them I was done with them and threw the “course” into the trash.
You were within your rights to do so, of course, and it was probably the right thing in that situation, but I don't think this is analogous to OP's situation. The law about being entitled to treat unsolicited merchandise as gifts is to protect consumers from unscrupulous merchants with predatory billing schemes. OP isn't being asked to pay for anything. This looks like a genuine mistake by a forum sponsor well known to be a decent company.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2021, 10:24 AM
Tnfiddler Tnfiddler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middle Tn
Posts: 2,461
Default

If you want to donate those Veritas strings to me, I’ll take them!! My D41 LOVES those strings!!
__________________
Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!



2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
2006 Charles J. Horner Fiddle
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2021, 10:53 AM
wguitar wguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,271
Default

No, but I would guess you either won some periodic drawing they might have or it's a mistake. They are nice folks, and if it were me I would give them a call and solve the mystery. If they made a mistake and mailed it to the wrong person I'm sure they'd appreciate the heads up.

All the best,

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 38,834
Default

Strings & Beyond are great. I've placed about 15 orders over the years. Unfortunately, Canadians now need to pay for shipping but I decided it was worth it and receive my last order a couple of weeks ago.

Freebies = good.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2021, 04:18 PM
rllink's Avatar
rllink rllink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,053
Default

I just got an order from them. They used to include a couple picks but there were none in the package. A little disappointing on one hand, but on the other, I don't even want their picks. I guess I just want to feel special. I'm not going to hold it against them.

I think in this case my curiosity would get the best of me. I would have to ask. I doubt they would make anyone send back a set of strings and a pick. Maybe, but even if they did, you're not out anything.
__________________
If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm still learning.

Last edited by rllink; 03-04-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=