The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Question regarding inversions

I made this tab from Cold and Frosty Morning. I watched a woman play it on You Tube and then I wrote the tab according to where I was putting my fingers on the fretboard, so I could remember it. I knew it was in Am key. I checked my tab against a tab on her website, and I had it right, but I wasn't sure where the measures started and stopped, so I got that off her tab.

[IMG}2018-09-21_03-57-11 by onlythismoment, on Flickr[/IMG]

So now, for fun I wanted to play it using the same notes, but find them in a different area of the fretboard. Below the wavy line in my photo you can see where I've done that for the first 8 measures. I wanted to play the Am and the G in the same area, so I found these, but I'm not sure the voicing(?) captures the spirit of the song. About the inversion: If I play an Am as xo10910o does the 5th string open A count as the 1st being in the bass, or does the C on the 4th string count as the bass note, making it a 1st inversion? Same with the G as xxo787. Does the open D make it a 2nd inversion?

Also, are there officially accepted inversions of chords? Or can you just put them together as I did here? Although I think the official versions would depend on the practicality of fingering them. Is that right?

Maybe none of this matters and I'm just getting bogged down in details.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 09-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Yes, xo10910o is Am without an inversion because the open A string is the lowest note sounding in the chord, and thus our ears hear it everything else in relation to it.

You are also correct that G voiced as xxo787 is a D in 2nd inversion because, once again, the open D string is the lower note sounding in the chord.

In common western practice, the 2nd inversion chord is considered more unstable than the other voices and is thus more limited in its use. BUT since you are playing guitar, you can ignore all that. Contemporary guitar does not following common practice music all the time because 1) prioritizing fingering 2) generally it plays music that is not intended to sound like Bach, Beethoven, or Brahms.

Finally, yes, you used the term "voicing" correctly
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Yeah. Pitch, not string or fret# is the important distinction.

Interesting. Notice that in the A minor the first string is not highest note either. It's the high A on the second string...
Old 09-22-2018, 09:19 AM

Inversion = Which note is on the bottom.

Voicing = How the rest of the notes are arranged.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM

Thanks to all of you who commented, and cleared up my question. Inversions are kind of fun to find.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write