The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #181  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:20 AM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Gluing the neck on. I must say that seeing it all together has got me pretty stoked. It's always nice to see the design scheme come together as a cohesive whole.
Wow! It actually has frets, inlays, tuners, etc., etc. Now I'm getting stoked!!!
  #182  
Old 08-24-2016, 03:35 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 7,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Wow! It actually has frets, inlays, tuners, etc., etc. Now I'm getting stoked!!!
Congrats again Jim. As the build was going on I was afraid you had the whole finish wait to go....with the amazing miracle 24 hour finish job the boys did, you really are very close to trying this out. I for one can't wait to hear your thoughts since I have a rosewood Italian Kinnaird SJ at home that is perfect....

Go PACK!
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
  #183  
Old 08-24-2016, 04:06 PM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats again Jim. As the build was going on I was afraid you had the whole finish wait to go....with the amazing miracle 24 hour finish job the boys did, you really are very close to trying this out. I for one can't wait to hear your thoughts since I have a rosewood Italian Kinnaird SJ at home that is perfect....

Go PACK!
Thanks, Tom! Wasn't that 24-hour finish job amazing? Indeed a miracle......

But yeah, it appears as though I'll have it within a couple of weeks or so. Needless to say, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. With this being my first custom acoustic build, I can't even describe the anticipation. I'll be sure to post my thoughts once it arrives, though. I may even get around to doing a sound clip or two if I find the time.
  #184  
Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 PM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Needless to say, I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. With this being my first custom acoustic build, I can't even describe the anticipation. I'll be sure to post my thoughts once it arrives, though. I may even get around to doing a sound clip or two if I find the time.
Lots of good work today. I'll post some more pictures later. But as far as sound, we're going to get our first taste tomorrow as strings go on. Now as far as you posting a sound clip - the rumor around the guitar mill is that you've been reported as maybe the best player in the Midwest. I think we're going to need a sound clip or two.
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
  #185  
Old 08-24-2016, 05:49 PM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Now as far as you posting a sound clip - the rumor around the guitar mill is that you've been reported as maybe the best player in the Midwest. I think we're going to need a sound clip or two.
Uh oh....now the pressure is on......LOL. I'm not sure where you heard that, but just between you and me, it is just a rumor.....
  #186  
Old 08-25-2016, 09:53 AM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,084
Default

Yesterday, we got things ready for today's final touches. First thing up was installing the last fret and doing the final fret dressing. We're a little jealous of all the work into finishing the body, so we have a protector over the top.




Next, I got to make a saddle from some Mammoth tusk that was sent to us. This stuff is way cool, but it smells like it's 10,000 years old.




Here I am trying to save as much of the tusk section as possible by just cutting off the edge. One cool thing I learned about, is if you can see the grains in the tusk (look upper left hand edge), you can measure the angle of those grains. If you can see them, they are acute angles. This is a virtually definitive test that this tusk is Mammoth. All elephant ivory has those same grains, but they make obtuse (greater than 90 degrees) angles. Pretty cool. I felt like I needed to check to make sure we were on the up and up.




Sanding the saddle blank to thickness. The coloration at the end of the saddle goes all the way through. Kinda neat.




From another much darker piece of Mastodon, we made this nut blank. Ready for test fitting strings and setting action.




Marking the radius for the saddle blank. Thanks Stew-Mac for the easy guide.




And why not something like taking a power drill to your top to end the day. Exciting! Chamfering the bridge pin holes and making the bridge nice.




Well, might as well go put some strings on...
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by nacluth; 08-25-2016 at 09:58 AM. Reason: scientific clarification
  #187  
Old 08-25-2016, 11:49 AM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Well, might as well go put some strings on...
Looks super great, Ryan! But, for the million-dollar question: how does it sound????.......
  #188  
Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Looks super great, Ryan! But, for the million-dollar question: how does it sound????.......

Well there's a lot of things I can't say for proprietary and modesty's sake. I will share the following quotes heard around the building. "...the most satisfying bass I've ever heard..." "...reminiscent of Tom's guitar..." "...best sounding guitar out of the box..."

Strings have just been on 20 minutes so there's still a lot of breaking in that has to happen. We'll see what develops. I'll come back and lower expectations later.
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
  #189  
Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 PM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Well there's a lot of things I can't say for proprietary and modesty's sake. I will share the following quotes heard around the building. "...the most satisfying bass I've ever heard..." "...reminiscent of Tom's guitar..." "...best sounding guitar out of the box..."

Strings have just been on 20 minutes so there's still a lot of breaking in that has to happen. We'll see what develops. I'll come back and lower expectations later.
Wow! That certainly sounds promising....... Can't wait to hear more thoughts! Thanks, Ryan!
  #190  
Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 AM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,084
Default

Well as you could probably tell, the strings are on and final dialing in has commenced.




The sound has been incredible out of the gate. There's usually a warm up period after the strings are on to get to full tone, but we were amazed that it sounded like it had been strung up for days not minutes. We hope that it continues to blossom over the next few days we have it in the shop. And at some point, I will install the patented Kinnaird tone enhancers - which are made and ready to go.




Thanks for following along. We're going to get everything perfect and get some final shots made of the whole instrument. Then we got to get it to Jim before the Canadian glaciers melt and flood Wisconsin.
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
  #191  
Old 08-26-2016, 09:40 AM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

All I can say is "wow!" It's looking great, guys!
  #192  
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Daveac Daveac is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 151
Default

Wow, this guitar looks amazing. I have a deep body OM and it is a remarkable guitar, I'm sure you will be thrilled with it! Just another home run out of the Kinnaird shop, cant wait to hear the sound clips
__________________
Steve Kinnaird SJ Ziricote/Port Orford
Steve Kinnaird 00 Madagascar/Sinker Redwood
Rainsong JM1000N2
  #193  
Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Chedeng88 Chedeng88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,360
Default

Those tone enhancers really work! Wish all my other guitars had them.

Last edited by Chedeng88; 08-26-2016 at 01:57 PM.
  #194  
Old 08-26-2016, 01:33 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 7,616
Default

Well Jim, it you like bass, and the boys are saying this bass is as good or it sounds like, better than mine, you are in for a treat. This looks great and these guys are so understated, reading between the lines, this is going to sound FANTASTIC!

The tone enhancers....I might need to play with mine some so that my SJ sounds as good as your new Kinnaird, I just can't remember counter clockwise or clockwise, sustain vs. bass.....where is that confounded owners manual????
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
  #195  
Old 08-26-2016, 02:36 PM
jim_pridx jim_pridx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well Jim, it you like bass, and the boys are saying this bass is as good or it sounds like, better than mine, you are in for a treat. This looks great and these guys are so understated, reading between the lines, this is going to sound FANTASTIC!

The tone enhancers....I might need to play with mine some so that my SJ sounds as good as your new Kinnaird, I just can't remember counter clockwise or clockwise, sustain vs. bass.....where is that confounded owners manual????
Well, I guess we'll see what it sounds like when it arrives, but it certainly sounds promising.

Don't you find it surprising that no other luthier on the planet has incorporated tone enhancers in their guitars? There is a secret in adjusting them correctly, though, but that's something I don't think I'm allowed to share on a public forum.......
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=