The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Default My new Edwinson Zephyr

Aloha All,
I wanted to comment on my new Edwinson Zephyr, discussed on a Marketplace forum thread which is now closed. The original thread was :

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=543284

I hope to add a picture or two if I can figure out how to do so! ( I cannot figure this out... any help appreciated) Several writers expressed an interest in this and I want to sing the guitar's ( and the luthier's) praises, now that I am the owner.
I fell in love with the beauty of this guitar from 5,000 miles away. I didn't need to see it or hear it to be convinced it is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen. Seeing it in person did not disappoint! I did not know what to expect in terms of sound and feel, though.
Let me say clearly that this is not only the most beautiful guitar I've seen, but it's sound, playability, feel, and overall vibe is in a league of its own. Even though it is 'new,' it sounds bold and full, a delightful in every way. After one day with it, the thought crossed my mind "Sell all the others!" While I may not do that exactly, there is no guitar purpose that this Zephyr does not excel at.
I usually favor larger guitars for volume. This Zephyr, a 00 size approximately, has a full, deep sound with nothing lacking in even the bass register! It is balanced, with excellent tone, volume and sustain in every register from bottom to top, and all up the neck it sounds full and present. The sustain, consistency of sound, and volume are beyond what a smaller guitar should be capable of. The dual soundports are a joy for me, as I have some hearing loss in one ear but love the pure acoustic sound.
Aesthetically, as you can see, the guitar is off the charts! The details in fine craftsmanship show a pride and a skill that is awe-inspiring. There are gorgeous details that are not physically necessary everywhere you look!

Ok so I know this sounds like hyperbole, maybe I'm drunk on 'New Guitar Syndrome.' But it's more than that. As the owner of some fine guitars, I have seen NGS from both sides now, and this is not NGS, but the surprising realization that a perfect guitar exists and I didn't know about it until now. I am very lucky to have found it and to have it. From the comments by other Edwinson owners, I am not alone in thinking this.

I must not fail to add the delightful interactions I've had with Edwinson Luthier Stephen Sheriff. He answered all my questions in detail and made it clear he loves guitars as much as anyone. He is so knowledgeable and friendly and willing to talk and answer questions. Unmatched aesthetics aside, he understands something about the sound of a guitar that I had only imagined. I sense a deep artist at work here, someone who I hope will soon be recognized as one of the finer builders alive today. He is insightful, knowledgeable, sensitive, and communicative, and committed to customer satisfaction. To say I'm a satisfied and enthusiastic customer is an understatement. I may order another Edwinson, or maybe I should be content with perfection...

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 02-18-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Edwinson, Russell! glad you found your forever guitar.

I was fortunate enough to see and play this guitar last year at BIG, and it is a stunning guitar in both looks and voice.

Steve is not only an incredible luthier but a great guy as well.

Enjoy it and play the heck out of it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:29 PM

I concur about the guitar and the sound. That guitar had the most brilliant greenish hue of any BRW I have ever seen. You are just a lucky fellow that no one was smart enough to take this home last year.

I will get some pictures up for you with my spideysenses!!!
Old 02-18-2020, 06:35 PM

ed.jpg

ed1.jpg

ed2.jpg

ed3.jpg

ed4.jpg

ed6.jpg
Old 02-19-2020, 09:02 PM

My sincerest congratulations, Russell! That is one of the best and most beautiful guitars I've ever played, and Steve is a great guy and a fabulous builder. I hope it gives you great joy for a long time.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:42 AM

Congratulations Russell! I played your beautiful guitar at BIG last year and, while the artistry is clear, the tone was really amazing! Steve is such a great person and a gifted luthier. So cool that this instrument is now in it's home on the Big Island of Hawaii! You live in one of my favorite places in the world...

beth
Old 02-20-2020, 07:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am very glad that this beautiful Zephyr 00 has found a good home with a good man. I have been keeping it in the closed case since the B.I.G. Bowersox Guitarpaloosa at Tom's home in Spring Branch, TX, last March. I wanted it to be brand-new, and so it has had only a few hours of playing time on it when Russell picked it up. A nice guitar needs to be given proper attention, and played; and I have a strong feeling that this guitar will be getting lots of playing time in Russell's hands. That is really splendid!

And the best part is, it looks like a solid love-match from the get-go. I built this guitar for Russell; just didn't know it until a year later.

I've really enjoyed getting to know Russell during the process of this Zephyr's adoption. He's a great guy, he radiates an attitude of quiet joy and humble kindness, and has become a good old friend, newly met. I look forward to our friendship continuing a long time. One of these days I'm going check off a major bucket list item and go out and visit Russell (and my good friend Charles- "Chasapple", and Henderson) out there in the islands. And go hiking around Maui, and scuba diving, fishing... YEAH. I've wanted to go to Hawaii for decades, but haven't gotten there yet.

Everyone seems to be gaga about the amazing green color in the Brazilian Rosewood. I think the most interesting thing about it is, in normal room or workshop lighting, you don't see the green. It looks like normal Brazilian Rosewood, with rich dark brown, red, black ink lines, and gorgeous, moving figure. But when you take the guitar out in the sunlight, the green *POPS* dramatically. Not only that, it looks holographic, as if the greens are floating in space above the surface of the wood. Awesome!

When I was building the guitar, I never noticed the green hologram. It wasn't until I walked across the backyard from the shop to my finish room with the built guitar that I finally saw it in the sunlight. It knocked me back on my heels!

I found one photo in my library that almost shows this effect. I shoot guitar glamour shots with studio strobe lighting, which has a color temperature of 5500 degrees Kelvin- roughly the same as full spectrum sunlight. So it sort of brings out the amazing effect. Still, it's nothing like the effect of real sunlight.
Check this out:

I have only one regret. Another friend, who lives in Germany, who owns one of my very early guitars that he bought used, made a very kind offer awhile back. He had seen this guitar in the Marketplace board, and was very drawn to it. He offered to buy it at the lowered price, with the caveat that I come and visit him at his home in the Rhine country, and hand-deliver the guitar.

Even though the onerous restrictions on Rosewoods have recently been relaxed almost to the point of sanity, traveling internationally with a sparsely documented Brazilian Rosewood guitar entailed a lot of risk. Too many things could go wrong... You know how it is.

My friend, if you see this- and I will be contacting you shortly-- I am deeply grateful for your offer to have me visit you at your home, with a guitar in hand that will stay with you. I would LOVE to build you a custom guitar like this Zephyr, or whatever you most prefer, to your exact specifications, and bring it to you in person. Visiting Germany and other countries in Europe is at the top of my bucket list as well. If you'd like to do this, I'll build you a guitar this year, with the express intent of bringing it across the ocean and putting it in your hands.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 02-20-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Video Edwinson

A brief video, hope you like it!

https://vimeo.com/409357036

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 04-18-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:59 PM

Hello Russell.

The link does not seem to be working, at least for me?
Old 04-18-2020, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, try again!
Old 04-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Works now! Sounds great, really good song, and holy cow, what a looker that guitar is! Oh, you are handsome too! Congrats on a great connnection!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 PM

Thanks Russell!

As a 2-time Edwinson owner, I too can sing the praises of Steve's craftsmanship, artistry, and heckuva-good-guy-ness. Not one bit of hyperbole.

Thanks for sharing, she sounds awesome! and what a stone cold looker!

jeff
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

What a treat to to see this! Russell, thank you for posting this video. Listening to it makes me yearn for a trip to Hawaii. Maybe someday...

Meanwhile I hope you and your family are safe and well, and not too stir-crazy. I bet there's more guitar music being played now than almost any other time in History.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Thanks Russell!

As a 2-time Edwinson owner, I too can sing the praises of Steve's craftsmanship, artistry, and heckuva-good-guy-ness. Not one bit of hyperbole.

Thanks for sharing, she sounds awesome! and what a stone cold looker!

jeff
Hi, Jeff! How are you doing with your new Two Hands guitar? Both Joel and I miss hearing the lovely voice of that guitar... But we're forging ahead with new ones all the time. I just made a stained-glass style rosette, inspired by the one Joel made for you.
Thanks for your kind words. All the best to you and your family- stay safe and be well. God Bless!
Old 04-19-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great, Russell--glad you're getting on with your Edwinson!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop