The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Very interesting, Steve. Actually, it is possible to bend a note on vibes...
That's pretty cool.

There is actually one vibraphone tune that I like, which is called "Left Bank Two", by The Noveltones, which I grew up listening to as the theme to "The Gallery", which was a segment of a kids educational British TV show named "Vision On", from back in the late sixties / early seventies.

It has a lovely, laid-back rhythm going on behind it, too:

Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Never heard, "Left Bank Two." Thanks for posting. It appears to be a tune created by the vibraphonist, Wayne Hill.

Steve, your opinions interest me and I can certainly understand them. Percussionists use the mallet instruments depending obviously on the sound that is desired for the piece. Orchestra bells, xylophones, marimbas, vibes, chimes and even piano all sound quite different. They have unique advantages and disadvantages. One thing that I always liked about vibes and piano was the lovely sound provided by the sustain pedal. Marimba, and especially xylophone, will produce more staccato-like sounds, but vibes had a wonderful sustain quality. And the motor-driven valve added another tasteful quality... a vibrato. So, I saw the vibes as having a much prettier, more musical sound than many of the other mallet-percussion instruments.

I always loved vibes and piano together. The joint efforts of Gary Burton and Chick Corea were wonderful. They've been playing together off and on for decades. Here's a "Tiny Desk Concert" from NPR that shows off the two instruments together...

And here they are performing, "Senior Mouse," a nothing video, but a terrific performance...

Old 01-19-2020, 12:20 PM

No one's likely to convince you to like a sound you don't like. As pointed out above, mallet types, players technique, and recording style do change the timbre, but you're expressing your dislike is deeper than that.

There is a element in bell instruments where the harmonics aren't all sweet intervals. Someone with strong preferences for sweetness there could find them a turn off.

I myself imprinted on the sounds of vibes from the classic Tim Hardin records on Verve from the Sixties. The band sound of those records remains a touchstone for me for combining acoustic guitar with other instruments.

And despite loving the sound of acoustic piano, the Rhodes' style electric piano remains a sound I like to use, partly because it sounds a bit more like vibes than a "real piano."

All these tuned percussive instruments with sustain capabilities mix well with acoustic guitar to my mind.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-19-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Never heard, "Left Bank Two." Thanks for posting. It appears to be a tune created by the vibraphonist, Wayne Hill.

Steve, your opinions interest me and I can certainly understand them. Percussionists use the mallet instruments depending obviously on the sound that is desired for the piece. Orchestra bells, xylophones, marimbas, vibes, chimes and even piano all sound quite different. They have unique advantages and disadvantages. One thing that I always liked about vibes and piano was the lovely sound provided by the sustain pedal. Marimba, and especially xylophone, will produce more staccato-like sounds, but vibes had a wonderful sustain quality. And the motor-driven valve added another tasteful quality... a vibrato. So, I saw the vibes as having a much prettier, more musical sound than many of the other mallet-percussion instruments.

I always loved vibes and piano together. The joint efforts of Gary Burton and Chick Corea were wonderful. They've been playing together off and on for decades. Here's a "Tiny Desk Concert" from NPR that shows off the two instruments together...

And here they are performing, "Senior Mouse," a nothing video, but a terrific performance...

I listened to the first piece of the NPR one, and the first minute or so of the second one, and I did not care for them. I think at the moment they are too complex for my ear to appreciate. I think at the moment, as I get into jazz a little bit more (I've liked it off and on for about a decade without really exploring it much), I need to relate it to the music I've been listening to, which lately would be acoustic blues and folk, but also electric blues and your typical classic rock, although I'm growing tired of that (classic rock), to be honest.

So I don't think I've acquired much of the taste of jazz yet. One other thing that my mind naturally seeks out is that I'd like to imagine playing (slowly; badly!) on guitar the melody line of whatever jazz I'm hearing, so it's easier for me to gravitate to tunes where the melody is easy to follow, e.g. it stands out more from the other instruments, and is on the slower side, without a bunch of 64th notes strung together, and maybe is more of a musical motif that stands out, that I can repeat as a "doo-dah-doo-dah-doo..." as I reach for my guitar. So maybe it has to be "catchy", as opposed to free-form meandering.

Those are just rambling theories; who knows why anyone likes anything, really!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Lol... jazz ain't for everybody, but some of us love it. Play and listen to whatever you enjoy. That should be true for everybody.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:52 PM

I played in a trio with a vibes player when I was in college.

One thing he used to say, "Vibraphone is the only instrument on which you can't make a mistake. Everything sounds good."

True dat.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:32 PM

Default Of course there's Mike Mainieri...

Warning!!! Fusion music:

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-28-2020, 07:59 PM

Try Tidal Hi Fi streaming service. They have a free trial. You have to make sure you are getting the Hi Fi, not the standard.

If you decide to keep it, the family plan is a pretty good deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN