The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Thinking of switching my GS Minis to Grand Concerts

Now that I'm playing out more the shortcomings of the GS Minis are starting to become more evident, especially the ones that occur when capo'd: tuning instability and anemic sound. It's not that big of a deal at home, but live is another story.

I'm considering swapping these out for Grand Concerts, specifically the 322ce. The cutaway will make some stuff at the higher registers easier, and the longer scale length should take care of the capo issue.

I do love the GS Mini, and this Shaded Edge I'll likely be listing first has had some pretty substantial upgrades, including real abalone inlays. Only reason I probably wouldn't keep one is because I recently purchased a Furch Little Jane which is an absolutely amazing parlor guitar for travel.

I'd probably start with the 322ce and eventually pick up a second 322e for the alternate tunings.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-13-2019, 02:58 AM

At last! Someone else who agrees the Mini doesnt like a Capo!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 AM

Think about the hassle and what you will get ($) for your mini, and how much fun it is to play. Why not keep the mini and just get something less expensive than another Taylor for live playing? For example, Yamaha has some nice models with electronics that play and sound great, and are far less expensive than Taylors. I'm sure there are lots of other choices as well.

Edit: Sorry--I didn't notice you had 2 of them. But still, I would keep one, and consider other less expensive choices for gigging.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
Think about the hassle and what you will get ($) for your mini, and how much fun it is to play. Why not keep the mini and just get something less expensive than another Taylor for live playing? For example, Yamaha has some nice models with electronics that play and sound great, and are far less expensive than Taylors. I'm sure there are lots of other choices as well.

Edit: Sorry--I didn't notice you had 2 of them. But still, I would keep one, and consider other less expensive choices for gigging.
I agree with Rpt50. For the price of a 322 you can get “More Guitar” with an import. That’s not to say the 322 is not a nice guitar. Gonna send you a suggestion via PM
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 AM

Smile

Quote:

Agree! At least keep one when you do not need to capo it!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 AM

I find there's a big tonal difference between a GS Mini and a GC. I'm a fan of both guitars but given the choice of the two I'd take a GC.

Have you played the 322 before? When you try it out at the store (assuming you can) make sure you try it with a capo.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 AM

Good idea, GC are the ideal guitar size. Not too big or too small
Old 01-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I agree with Rpt50. For the price of a 322 you can get “More Guitar” with an import. That’s not to say the 322 is not a nice guitar. Gonna send you a suggestion via PM
I've been playing Taylors my whole life and like the brand. I like the Little Jane but don't feel like purchasing another Furch.

Quote:
Think about the hassle and what you will get ($) for your mini, and how much fun it is to play. Why not keep the mini and just get something less expensive than another Taylor for live playing
I'm already maxed out on amount of guitars I want to own. I don't want to have GAS and have all these guitars I don't play. Plus, I'd like to recoup funds if possible. If I don't use a guitar just about every day and it hangs on a wall, I don't want to own it. I'd also rather have a guitar that I both play at home and play live. Purely from a gear perspective, why would I have a guitar I practice for hours and hours with at home and then live use a cheaper different instrument that I never play except for a few hours here and there? Seems backwards to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Good idea, GC are the ideal guitar size. Not too big or too small
That's what I've been thinking. I really enjoy a shorter scale length. 23.5" is pretty short thoughh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I find there's a big tonal difference between a GS Mini and a GC. I'm a fan of both guitars but given the choice of the two I'd take a GC.

Have you played the 322 before? When you try it out at the store (assuming you can) make sure you try it with a capo.
No one has the guitar locally, but I've played another GC and they were just fine with capos.
- Lazy River Weissenborn

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-15-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Please avoid the profanity
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 PM

I purchased a hog GS Mini during an extended collarbone injury recuperation. (It was my first Taylor, and I've been playing 55 years and have had some very nice guitars.)

When I was able to play well again I sold the GS Mini and now play a 14 fret 322 outfitted with a K&K Pure mini pickup. I'm very happy with my decision.

Taylor sells a LOT of instruments so the pre-owned market is good to watch. I sold my GS Mini for $450 and bought a year-old mint condition 322 for half of street price.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
I've been playing Taylors my whole life and like the brand. I like the Little Jane but don't feel like purchasing another Furch.
How does the little Jane compare to the mini?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
How does the little Jane compare to the mini?
I wrote a pretty extensive review on it. I think it got buried quickly by other posts:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=533689

It is much louder than the GSMs. I like the slightly larger body size of the GSM, but the scale length is better on the Little Jane, and so is the portability (obviously). I don't like the neck-heaviness of the Little Jane, but that can maybe be fixed with a strap, although I haven't tried yet.

Overall, nothing really beats it for a travel instrument, if you value a travel guitar by the size it packs up to
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wrote a pretty extensive review on it. I think it got buried quickly by other posts:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=533689

It is much louder than the GSMs. I like the slightly larger body size of the GSM, but the scale length is better on the Little Jane, and so is the portability (obviously). I don't like the neck-heaviness of the Little Jane, but that can maybe be fixed with a strap, although I haven't tried yet.

Overall, nothing really beats it for a travel instrument, if you value a travel guitar by the size it packs up to

Fantastic review of the Little Jane
If I did not already have a Voyage Air I think I would wind up with one, though the 45mm nut is a bit of an issue for me.

Thanks, and good luck on you 322 search.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 01-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Now that I'm playing out more the shortcomings of the GS Minis are starting to become more evident, especially the ones that occur when capo'd: tuning instability and anemic sound. It's not that big of a deal at home, but live is another story.

I'm considering swapping these out for Grand Concerts, specifically the 322ce. The cutaway will make some stuff at the higher registers easier, and the longer scale length should take care of the capo issue.

I do love the GS Mini, and this Shaded Edge I'll likely be listing first has had some pretty substantial upgrades, including real abalone inlays. Only reason I probably wouldn't keep one is because I recently purchased a Furch Little Jane which is an absolutely amazing parlor guitar for travel.

I'd probably start with the 322ce and eventually pick up a second 322e for the alternate tunings.
I mean why not just get a Furch OM?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I mean why not just get a Furch OM?
I'm quite partial to Taylors, from my home town and grew up playing them. Brand loyalty, I guess
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-15-2019, 01:32 PM

I'd forego a GS Mini for a GC any day of the week!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion