The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBarclay View Post
Hey Kevin ; )

Love the way this is shaping up: a beautiful guitar! Just curious (as I've not seen side construction quite like this before), is the space between the double sides hollow (apart from the kerfing at top & bottom) or is there some structural element between?
JB

I hope I am not giving away any secrets here because this is just a hunch, but way, way in the back of one of the pics of this build, I saw this:

I'm pretty sure that is what fills the gap between layers!

Just kidding of course.
Beautiful looking guitar Mr. P. You have incorporated some very cool design elements. I like it!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
I hope I am not giving away any secrets here because this is just a hunch, but way, way in the back of one of the pics of this build, I saw this:

Just kidding of course.
Beautiful looking guitar Mr. P. You have incorporated some very cool design elements. I like it!
Dude - LMAO!!!! Haha, that was funny. I can tell I'm going to get along great with you guys. From trashing hair metal records to expandable foam...haha funny. BTW - the 'design elements' are going to be kicked up a notch.

Well, back to work. I'll have some more pictures up tonight.

Have a great day!!!

Kevin.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post

Just kidding of course.
Ah HAH, the cavity wall construction technique, I thought as much Looks cosy, no wonder there're a couple of windows!

JB
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Default fingerboard/neck work

Here are a couple pics of the abalone binding I did today and the little b/w/b purfling piece's too.

and a pic of the top glued to the sides - so now once the neck is prepped I can start lining that up on the body. Adjustable neck.

Brazilian Rosewood binding.

The fingerboard just sitting on the neck.

and a pic of the top glued to the sides.

Hope you all have a great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Default inlay concept

For the inlay, we are throwing ideas like this around. This isn't 100% yet, and I don't want to jump the gun, but these are some concepts we've kicked around.

These are the customers pets. I use hard lines because I can't 'cut shadows' or 'shades'. So I need to see how each piece will interact to create the entire inlay layout.

Lloyd, is his pit bull (don't know what his cats name is).

These are just 'scribble scratches' - these concepts will get refined from here. This is just to get a contrast of parts/ideas.

For now, we're talking about cat/dog at the 12th area and the pit bull face towards on on the headstock.

Hope you all have a super great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Default customer inlay

here is another inlay concept that is 'brought to life'. This was a request from a customer I did a few years ago. I'm showing you this so you can see how the piece's can come together to make the inlay from some scribbled lines - to making a cool final inlay piece. From those drawings, I'll try to make it look cool.

Here is his art work picture.

Here it is "stretched" for the fingerboard - the perspective was "too high". It is also "placed" so the frets don't go through important details.

Here is the inlay.

And here is after the luthier put it in. He consulted with me and I showed him how to put it in with a successive set of drawings. He "got it" right away and he did a fantastic job of putting it in.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM

I briefly met Kevin in Montreal last summer.

In person, his guitars look outstanding -- and Kevin was a real class act.

Very cool looking inlay!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I briefly met Kevin in Montreal last summer.

In person, his guitars look outstanding -- and Kevin was a real class act.

Very cool looking inlay!
JoeCharter - Thank you!! Thank you!! I look forward to talking again. I am going to be putting up a build thread for my Pederson SJ #1 pretty soon and its going to have a "wowser" inlay on it (to commemorate #1 of course). If you like the inlay bling, you'll have to check that one out. I'll have it with me at Healdsburg (that is if I can get it finished in time ). AND - on this Sinker Redwood/Koa - the neck is going to have a "special detail" that I hope you look for (besides the cat/dog inlay). Gonna be cool . Stay tuned.

Btw - Are you going to be in Healdsburg?

Have a super great evening JoeCharter!!

Kevin.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Default headstock binding

Here is how my day started at 5AM...with a bunch of Brazilian rosewood bindings I made yesterday.

routed a couple channels...

started in right away cutting miters.

Next thing is to 'snap my fingers' and... (just kidding)

Now all thats left is to bind the fingerboard, bind the body, the bevel, the back,... ... lots of work as the luthiers know.

Hope you ALL have a SUPER great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
JoeCharter - Thank you!! Thank you!! I look forward to talking again. I am going to be putting up a build thread for my Pederson SJ #1 pretty soon and its going to have a "wowser" inlay on it (to commemorate #1 of course). If you like the inlay bling, you'll have to check that one out. I'll have it with me at Healdsburg (that is if I can get it finished in time ). AND - on this Sinker Redwood/Koa - the neck is going to have a "special detail" that I hope you look for (besides the cat/dog inlay). Gonna be cool . Stay tuned.

Btw - Are you going to be in Healdsburg?

Have a super great evening JoeCharter!!

Kevin.
I'm looking forward to the SJ thread, Kevin.

There's a fairly good chance that I might attend the Healdsburg festival this year. Trying to organize a trip with my parents to visit family in LA.

I don't plan to travel with a guitar (too cumbersome) -- but I should have my Leach F5 mandolin with me.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I'm looking forward to the SJ thread, Kevin.

There's a fairly good chance that I might attend the Healdsburg festival this year. Trying to organize a trip with my parents to visit family in LA.

I don't plan to travel with a guitar (too cumbersome) -- but I should have my Leach F5 mandolin with me.
Hey Joe - Very cool, if you do make it out to Healdsburg you can give this Pederson SJ a whirl. With this SJ build, I have the design 98% complete. I want to keep a very 'classic' styling with the design be symmetric. It will be available as a non-cut away, but this first one will be cut away. I'm very excited to put my personal touch on this guitar design, and I will post this thread shortly.

In the meantime, this EMojo will have some more interesting things happening and I will have this guitar with me in Healdsburg also.

Have a SUPER great Sat. evening.

Kevin.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM

Default binding headstock picture

These are some pics that show the nice blend of Koa and the Brazilian Rosewood headstock binding. Just a nice "warm" look. The BRW bindings are really dark and I choose them for this reason. Almost 'ebony' dark.

Hope you all have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

Default headstock inlay

We've decided on this for the headstock inlay idea. Its nice and simple. These two pets are the customers and he says they "are actually 'pals'". Its a pit bull named 'Lloyd' and a cat...I don't know what the cats name is. I'll ask him.

Anyway, they are are sitting on a blanket which is on a bench and you can see the moon from the window behind them. Some of the perspectives might change a little and I might add a lamp or some drapes. But this is the idea.

I'm thinking wood, shell and recon. I'll post some pics of the process.

the original image of the cat and Lloyd.

I don't know if we will have any other inlay on the guitar at this point. He is making up his mind. Going to be a really nice looking guitar/inlay. I'm excited.

The neck detail will be great too...working on that.

Hope you all have a great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Kevin, that's fantastic detail work!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Kevin, that's fantastic detail work!!
Hi mikealpine, and thanks for the support. Hopefully, I'll find that 'extra dimension' in the selected pieces. It will be a neat inlay. Keep checking back.

Hope you have a great day.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop