The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-19-2020, 07:14 AM

When playing steel string, I always use right leg, but I often cross my legs because it brings the guitar to a good height, and feels better for fingerstyle.

Even when playing classical pieces on nylon string I tend to play that way, out of habit.

I realise why the left leg position is ideal for classical - it's optimum for both hands for normal classical picking technique. I just don't generally have a foot stool handy ... and the left leg position really requires either that or one of those thigh supports. It's also pretty uncomfortable with a large-body acoustic - unless you're big guy.

The advantage of the standard right leg position - with the guitar neck near horizontal - is for strumming with a pick. In classical position, the forearm is just at the wrong angle to the strings to swing properly for strumming. Classical guitar, of course, is not strummed. Flamenco players use rasgueado for chords, which is different.

The main problem with right leg position is that the guitar is not held in position very securely - it moves around too easily. The classical position braces the guitar firmly, between right arm and both legs.

One really good right leg position - holding the guitar firmly - is crossed legs where the right ankle sits on the left knee. Then the guitar body can be tucked right back. Like Bert used to do it:
Old 02-19-2020, 01:01 PM

I have a weird approach, where my right foot goes on a foot stool, my left leg crosses over it, and the guitar rests on the left leg. It sounds (and probably looks) awkward, but I personally find it more comfortable for longer practice sessions.

I should try using a strap, because I like my guitar pretty high up, which is one reason for my approach.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:15 AM

I'm a switch hitter. Classical: left. Steel string acoustic: right. I can't rationalize that without sounding quirky, so quirky it is.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 AM

Right leg...no choice I have no left leg
Epiphone Les Paul
National M1 WoodBody Tricone
National Estralita Bass
Many Fender Jazz and P basses
Old 03-02-2020, 01:23 PM

Mainly the left leg but I feel comfortable using either leg.
PRS SE Custom 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write