The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 05:12 PM

Default Pick's Effect on Sound

Hello all,

As I continue my journey as a beginning acoustic guitar player, I have been experimenting with different picks and how they affect sound quality.

My observations so far:

Dunlop .46 nylon - makes the guitar sound thin and tinny
Dunlop Tortex Flex .50 - Nice balance between brightness and mid-range - so far my preferred sound
Dunlop Tortex .60 - Louder and very "throaty" tonal quality

I have enjoyed reading the threads on string selection and how it impacts sound, but I found myself very surprised by the difference pick selection can make. I can understand that a thicker pick is going to help the strings ring more, but in addition to volume, the tonal characteristics really change as well.

I'm curious - For those of you who are experienced guitarists, do you intentionally choose certain pick/string combinations to achieve a desired sound?
Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 PM

Yeah. A very effective, instant, cheap way to change tonal quality.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 09-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Yes, absolutely. The pick is the interface between you and the guitar, and it is a crucial element in tone production. I favour Dunlop Ultex .73 .88 and .90. I prefer a bright, snappy tone so my picks need to have the right combination of stiffness and thickness. I still haven't found the 'perfect' pick; a .88 with the stiffness of 1.00 would be about right for me.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

* Currently my top 3 picks I perform with & their affect:

#1 Blue Chip Vespal Large triangle aka TAD-40/1.0 or TAD-50/1.25 with right hand speed bevel... the 50/1.25 wears better for performing for me, I can go thru a 40 in a month or so. Tone-wise they are great; fat, full and brings out mids nicely with rounded trebles. Very fast glide with an excellent speed bevel and no pick noise. This translates nicely when amplified.

#2 Hawk Casien Large triangle aka Tonebird 5 1.2 with right hand speed bevel... nice bevel, nice polish, great presence/definition tone-wise; maybe a hair more then the BC, but they don't wear as well as the BC. Best bang for the buck among the boutique picks imo... Casein has a bit of pick noise vs vespal and poly which have almost none.

#3 Dunlop Primetone (smooth finish) polycarb in 1.0 teardrop... just a great sounding overall pick. Very musical across the board, no pick noise, decent sculpted bevel. Similar wear to casein. Btw the translucent version with the grip is a bit brighter and they sound good, but I prefer picks without grips on them.

** I have other casein picks by CLP and EML that sound very good too, but BC is my overall fav... my preferred thickness is between .97 and 1.25 depending on material.

*** I sometimes use the characteristics of each of the above as sort of a fine tune EQ at my shows when I've dialed in the Tak preamp and Loudbox, yet need a hair more of this or that, a pick can do the trick!...

Last edited by noledog; 09-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM

Oh boy!! If you use the search function on here and look at threads about picks and their effects on tone, it would take you months to read them all!! We have some excellent members like Scott at Charmed Life who manufacture higher end picks made of casein and vespel. It’s an adventure that will surprise you. It really depends on the guitar, the strings, the material and thickness of the pick. At least to my ears, each of my guitars likes different picks. Have fun!!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I started right where you are, with those same dunlop picks. I traveled to PrimeTone, which are ok, and LANDED on Dunlop 207 and 208 picks. Such a thicker tone with less pick noise. That's for CHEAP picks. Expensive picks... casein! Bluechip are ok for how I play (bluegrassers lose their minds over them). I really love my Red Bear casein pick in addition to the Dunlop 207 and 208s. If I had to buy another casein, I'd go Charmed Life or EML or John Pearce.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yes, absolutely. The pick is the interface between you and the guitar, and it is a crucial element in tone production. I favour Dunlop Ultex .73 .88 and .90. I prefer a bright, snappy tone so my picks need to have the right combination of stiffness and thickness. I still haven't found the 'perfect' pick; a .88 with the stiffness of 1.00 would be about right for me.
Have you tried any Graph Tech Tusq pics? They fit your description to a tee.

You can buy them in three different tonal offerings. Sweetwater carries them.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* Currently my top 3 picks I perform with & their affect:

#1 Blue Chip Vespal Large triangle aka TAD-40/1.0 or TAD-50/1.25 with right hand speed bevel... the 50/1.25 wears better for performing for me, I can go thru a 40 in a month or so. Tone-wise they are great; fat, full and brings out mids nicely with rounded trebles. Very fast glide with an excellent speed bevel and no pick noise. This translates nicely when amplified.

#2 Hawk Casien Large triangle aka Tonebird 5 1.2 with right hand speed bevel... nice bevel, nice polish, great presence/definition tone-wise; maybe a hair more then the BC, but they don't wear as well as the BC. Best bang for the buck among the boutique picks imo... Casein has a bit of pick noise vs vespal and poly which have almost none.

#3 Dunlop Primetone (smooth finish) polycarb in 1.0 teardrop... just a great sounding overall pick. Very musical across the board, no pick noise, decent sculpted bevel. Similar wear to casein. Btw the translucent version with the grip is a bit brighter and they sound good, but I prefer picks without grips on them.

** I have other casein picks by CLP and EML that sound very good too, but BC is my overall fav... my preferred thickness is between .97 and 1.25 depending on material.

*** I sometimes use the characteristics of each of the above as sort of a fine tune EQ at my shows when I've dialed in the Tak preamp and Loudbox, yet need a hair more of this or that, a pick can do the trick!...
The Hawks look really cool. I've heard great things about them.

Apparently they've been around for a while. Casein is a nightmare to work with. It produces TONS of blems, rejects, C goods and unsellable inventory. It is not an expensive material, but the labor is murder, and the frustration is maximum.

I'd encourage everyone to support this business as much as possible, even though they are in the UK. I will say this: Strictly from a business viewpoint, I do not think this is a sustainable long-term business model. If it is, I say more power to them, and more power to you for having found a great source for reasonably priced casein picks that are beautifully made and I'm sure sound awesome.

I realize this may come across as sour grapes, and you can crack on me for that, but it's not meant as such. The nightmare of working with casein deserve its fair reward, and these folks are selling themselves short. Again, this is good for the consumer -- even great for the consumer -- but working on such thin margins over the long haul is extremely taxing and exhausting.

I try very hard to take the high road and, as always, I will recommend these folks and their products. That's just the way I roll. I want everyone in the category to succeed and flourish, as one vendor's success lifts everyone else. But it pains me to see good folks doing great work but selling themselves short. It has taken me decades to learn that the most important relationship we have in the world is with ourselves, and that a healthy self-regard and -- dare I say it -- self-love is the well-spring from which all virtues flow. Not narcissism, but positive self-regard. I learned this through very hard study, having tried almost every other path before I stumbled upon it.

Yeah, I'm getting all mystical and dewy-eyed here on the internet.

Okay, you can crack on me now.

best to all,
scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 09-17-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
The Hawks look really cool. I've heard great things about them, but never played one.

Apparently they've been around for a while. Casein is a nightmare to work with. It produces TONS of blems, rejects, C goods and unsellable inventory. It is not an expensive material, but the labor is murder, and the frustration is maximum.

I'd encourage everyone to support this business as much as possible, even though they are in the UK. I will say this: Strictly from a business viewpoint, I do not think this is a sustainable long-term business model. If it is, I say more power to them, and more power to you for having found a great source for reasonably priced casein picks that are beautifully made and I'm sure sound awesome.

I realize this may come across as sour grapes, and you can crack on me for that, but the nightmare of working with casein deserve a fair reward.
* I have to give you props Scott for introducing me and many others to the wonderful world of casein picks; so mucho thankyouz!

** The large triangle blue 1.2 I got from you is beautiful and when I first strummed it I absolutely loved the depth and presence. I'm just so hard on picks as I rip thru edges with my performances of Richie Havens/Pete Townsend aggressive strumming, to DJ scratchin' stuff across the strings. So I wore that baby out! LOL! But that takes nothing away from how wonderful it sounds and your excellent workmanship!

*** The Hawks are nice for sure, but Eric's speed bevel on his EML 1.5 is better to me then the Hawks with a much better polish too... it's just too thick, but maybe a bit more Pinball Wizard with it will thin it out LOL!!

Cheers to you Scott!

eric
Old 09-17-2019, 08:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* I have to give you props Scott for introducing me and many others to the wonderful world of casein picks; so mucho thankyouz!

** The large triangle blue 1.2 I got from you is beautiful and when I first strummed it I absolutely loved the depth and presence. I'm just so hard on picks as I rip thru edges with my performances of Richie Havens/Pete Townsend aggressive strumming, to DJ scratchin' stuff across the strings. So I wore that baby out! LOL! But that takes nothing away from how wonderful it sounds and your excellent workmanship!

*** The Hawks are nice for sure, but Eric's speed bevel on his EML 1.5 is better to me then the Hawks with a much better polish too... it's just too thick, but maybe a bit more Pinball Wizard with it will thin it out LOL!!

Cheers to you Scott!

eric
Cheers to you too, Eric. It's been great getting to know you here on AGF.

I've always felt that the other members here provide the most relevant and useful info as to product recommendations and unbiased reviews. You continue to provide this service to everyone here, and as much as you travel and gig, I, for one, want to thank and applaud you.

I consider Eric L. at EML a good friend and a worthy colleague, and I believe he feels the same for me. We're in this together. When the boat rises in the water, everyone in the boat rises with it. I've learned in this life that gratitude is the greatest gift, so I give thanks and props daily to my peers for the arduous and beautiful work they do.

Imagine being in a craft where you make music -- music, which I consider sacred (it is, after all, a part of every spiritual tradition on the planet) -- more beautiful, more enjoyable, even more sacred. Wow. It's humbling.

So props to Hawk, and BC, and EML, and Wegen, and Dunlop and Fender, and all those who ply the trade. It's a great time to be a guitarist and musician.

Safe travels to you out there, Eric.

Best,
Scott
Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 PM

Technique, pick, strings, setup, and characteristics of a given guitar. Ear will eventually develop as well.

I'm very particular with my picks. Quite often, I'll use a specific pick or two per guitar. I like the V Pick Stiletto on my Tele and semi-hollows. I use a BC TD40 on my Don Sharp DN. My Bob Thompson DN uses a CL casein pick. Bob Thompson OM loves the CL vespal pick.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Have you tried any Graph Tech Tusq pics? They fit your description to a tee.

You can buy them in three different tonal offerings. Sweetwater carries them.
Hmm, food for thought. Thanks for that; we don't have Sweetwater in England but I'll see if anyone else stocks them-always worth a try. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMYMusic View Post
Hello all,

As I continue my journey as a beginning acoustic guitar player, I have been experimenting with different picks and how they affect sound quality.

My observations so far:

Dunlop .46 nylon - makes the guitar sound thin and tinny
Dunlop Tortex Flex .50 - Nice balance between brightness and mid-range - so far my preferred sound
Dunlop Tortex .60 - Louder and very "throaty" tonal quality

I have enjoyed reading the threads on string selection and how it impacts sound, but I found myself very surprised by the difference pick selection can make. I can understand that a thicker pick is going to help the strings ring more, but in addition to volume, the tonal characteristics really change as well.

I'm curious - For those of you who are experienced guitarists, do you intentionally choose certain pick/string combinations to achieve a desired sound?
I have used Fender extra heavy celluloid picks for years now, but recently stumbled upon Tortex Flex .50's. The sound is amazing, and is rapidly becoming my new favorite. Has anyone tried the other Flex gauges? I have hundreds of picks that I've collected over the years, and different picks can make a huge sound difference.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:15 AM

Yes, considerable difference in sound and feel.

Your range of experimentation is far to narrow (IMHO), lots of picks out there with wide differences in materials and thickness.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-18-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Yes, considerable difference in sound and feel.

Your range of experimentation is far to narrow (IMHO), lots of picks out there with wide differences in materials and thickness.
Did you miss the part of my post where I said that I have hundreds of picks?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion