The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Default Cordoba c10 crossover

So I got my lightly used c10 crossover a few days ago. I’m happy with the neck width, as I’m taking a break from fingerpicking my steel strings due to nail problems and can still play most of my repertoire on the cordoba. I can even squeeze out a thumb over maneuver in a pinch! I’m just having a hard time getting used to the tone....I put some fresh daddario pro arte normal tensions on, and that helped a little, but it just seems really lacking in resonance. The bass strings are ok, but the trebles sound thin, and plasticky, with very little sustain.
This is my first nylon string, and I’ve only played a few, so obviously it’s going to be an adjustment, but it seems like other classicals I’ve played sounded better. On the other hand, this is by all accounts a pretty good guitar. Does it sound like I just need to adjust my expectations? Maybe some different strings would help?
Old 02-13-2020, 06:14 AM

I've played a lot of "crossover" guitars & have owned several of the Cordoba's crossovers including the C-10 Crossover.

But in the end, the narrower width at the nut wasn't to my liking.

I personally haven't found one that "sounds" like a true classical. They all come very close, but there's always been something missing in the sound to my ears.

One suggestion is to avoid using strings with carbon trebles and look for something in the nylon realm. That might get you the warmer sound that is closer to what you might expect from a classical guitar.

All in all, the C-10 Crossover is a great guitar.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

I've played these a couple times and been impressed. I look forward to hearing more opinions. They seem like nice guitars. Are they true crossovers? If they're lacking something, what is it?

Congratulations, Jimi... hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I’ve never heard any nylon string guitar come anywhere close to the sustain of a steel string guitar.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 AM

If my understanding is correct, any nylon string guitar with the 1 7/8" inch width at the nut comes under the realm of a "crossover" guitar.

My understanding is that most crossover guitars come with high tension strings & most having carbon trebles.

High tension strings help drive the soundboard to achieve louder sound but tends to sacrifice tonal quality. At times, it can also choke the soundboard causing poor sustain.

Carbon trebles will get a newcomer to these types of guitars close to the feel of steel strings, but might not achieve the classical warmth tone of nylon trebles.

My choice of the word "missing something" associated with Crossovers was probably in error.

The frustration that my left hand has with nylon strings and the narrower width clouded my impression of the crossover guitars sound when compared to a true classical guitar.

If folks experiment with the various string options of type and tension, they can certainly find a combination that will work for them on crossovers.

My personal preference is towards lower tension which gives me the desired tone albeit at a slight loss of volume. Lower tension is also kinder to the left hand when playing for longer periods of time .

Dave
Old 02-13-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Very interesting, Dave... thanks.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Yeah, I definitely did hear some improvement going to the daddario normal tensions. I originally put some Martin Magnificos on (they were on sale at strings by mail) and hated the sound. Also, plugged it in last night - the previous owner installed an lr baggs pickup - and it does sound better amplified with a little reverb. I guess at the price point (I paid $700) I’m probably not going to find anything better.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:58 AM

Thanks Kerbie,

Everything I know came from the experts at the Delcamp forum and then some experimentation on different strings on my guitars.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Very interesting, Dave... thanks.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Jimi2

Bass strings will need to be replaced more often than trebles due to wear.

That gives you an excuse to try out different strings. Strings by Mail are the only on-line seller that I know of who sells separate sets bass and trebles.

Try out Savarez Cantiga normal tension Bass strings!!

They'll be a bit brighter that those D'addario's.

They sell a "premium" Cantiga bass string which tend to last longer than the standard.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Yeah, I definitely did hear some improvement going to the daddario normal tensions. I originally put some Martin Magnificos on (they were on sale at strings by mail) and hated the sound. Also, plugged it in last night - the previous owner installed an lr baggs pickup - and it does sound better amplified with a little reverb. I guess at the price point (I paid $700) I’m probably not going to find anything better.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Jimi2

Bass strings will need to be replaced more often than trebles due to wear.

That gives you an excuse to try out different strings. Strings by Mail are the only on-line seller that I know of who sells separate sets bass and trebles.

Try out Savarez Cantiga normal tension Bass strings!!

They'll be a bit brighter that those D'addario's.

They sell a "premium" Cantiga bass string which tend to last longer than the standard.

Dave
Thanks, I will try those. I’m more concerned with the unwound string tone though. Any recommendations for a fuller sound with those?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 AM

Possibly a non-flush contact between saddle underside and bridge slot floor.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks, I will try those. I’m more concerned with the unwound string tone though. Any recommendations for a fuller sound with those?
I would suggest any of the Cantiga Alliance line. They will be much fuller sounding than the ProArte, if that's what you are shooting for. In general, carbon trebles will give you that fuller sound.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
If my understanding is correct, any nylon string guitar with the 1 7/8" inch width at the nut comes under the realm of a "crossover" guitar.

My understanding is that most crossover guitars come with high tension strings & most having carbon trebles.

High tension strings help drive the soundboard to achieve louder sound but tends to sacrifice tonal quality. At times, it can also choke the soundboard causing poor sustain.

Carbon trebles will get a newcomer to these types of guitars close to the feel of steel strings, but might not achieve the classical warmth tone of nylon trebles.

My choice of the word "missing something" associated with Crossovers was probably in error.

The frustration that my left hand has with nylon strings and the narrower width clouded my impression of the crossover guitars sound when compared to a true classical guitar.

If folks experiment with the various string options of type and tension, they can certainly find a combination that will work for them on crossovers.

My personal preference is towards lower tension which gives me the desired tone albeit at a slight loss of volume. Lower tension is also kinder to the left hand when playing for longer periods of time .

Dave
Interesting regarding high tension strings - my instructor told me that I would get better tone from high tension strings. I was hoping that might get there. You think the higher tension would lead to less sustain/fullness? Volume isn’t a concern.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:11 AM

Quite honestly, only you are going to be able to decide what strings & tension give you the best tone.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings By Mail View Post
I would suggest any of the Cantiga Alliance line. They will be much fuller sounding than the ProArte, if that's what you are shooting for. In general, carbon trebles will give you that fuller sound.
Well I ordered a set of the cantiga/alliance strings from Savarez and I’m pleased as punch with the alliance trebles in normal tension. I’m getting a much fuller sound now, with less plasticky twang, especially up the neck. Thanks so much! Now I just have to settle on some wound strings - I think I might just stick with the cantiga basses, but in high tension for more punch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical