The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Default A strong way to ship a guitar!

Sold a Guitar to a fellow AGFer...and had to pack it up today.
Was not happy with the box I had. Was a bit scruffy and torn and thin. Went out to Box City and bought a Bicycle box. It i s extra big...at 53 inches long, by 27 wide by 9 &3/4 wide. A typical Guitar box is around 48 by 21 by 9 1/4/
I left it the full 53 inch long...but cut down the sides to 21 inches. Box was $23. Yes, it did take me a little time to figure out just how to cut it down properly.
Now the question was how to fill all of that space and Make it Extra strong?...
The answer is cheaper than bean material...better than bubble plastic...and Stronger than either. And should be much, much better insulator against the cold as well. One inch thick Insulation. A 4 by 8 foot sheet is only about $13!
The only negative is = I will be cleaning up the little bits of Styrofoam for the next week!LOL
I do love the ease and concept of the new Stewmac shipping. Makes things fast and easy. But, not so sure that it is as strong and thermally protected as using Styrofoam insulation.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I like it. I want you to ship my next guitar!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow, I like it. I want you to ship my next guitar!
LOL... ha ha....Or should I say...LOW....lots of work!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:18 PM

I hope you are not shipping via USPS as the oversize box will cost more shipping wise...possibly substantially more. I don't know what UPS and FEDEx are doing on oversize these days.

USPS changed early this past year to a weight and dimensional combo metric and it really stings on large and heavy boxes now unfortunately.

Also most customers hate...really hate...styrofoam crumbs and/or styro packing peanuts.

They were all the rage for packing in the 80's, but man are they a mess, and they static charge really bad and then cling to anything and everything like gangbusters. Very frustrating to clean up.

Switching to bubble wrap was a HUGE improvement for shipping. Light and flexible, no mess, and really good crush protection depending on the bubble type and how you pack it in.

I hope you don't get charged extra on the shipping due to the box.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 01-19-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I hope you are not shipping via USPS as the oversize box will cost more shipping wise...possibly substantially more. I don't what UPS and FEDEx are doing on oversize these days.

I hope you don't get charged extra on the shipping due to the box.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Thanks mcduffnw...I hope I do not get charged either. I will be shipping UPS. According to their site if it is not over 299.9 Cm.... Measuring the Longest size+i.Plus 2 times the width & 2times the height ( the girth) then I am O.K
I did the calculations this morning before deciding not to shorten the 53 inch length.....The sides came out... 21.25 by 10.25
53 + 42.50 + 20.50=116 inches or 294.64 cm.....CLOSE ONE!!!!
But who knows how UPS measuring will go?? I guess the worse thing is I could come home and shorten the box a tiny bit in Length.
Personally, I would gladly clean up the messy Styrofoam for the added Safety!..
I give a report in the morning after I ship and let you know how it went.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:02 PM

I think Reverb, Amazon and a few others sell boxes for guitar shipping for a better price point when you buy multiples. Best bet is usually your local guitar store. I shop enough at my local brick and mortar that they are happy to give boxes to me.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 AM

I always go to my local guitar shop (Guitar Guitar) and get a shipping box and packing material from them. Pay £10 which is donated to charity and I've got a box that was used to ship the original instrument to the dealers in.

Never had an issue with anything I've posted off, including to mainland Europe and beyond.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 AM

I received an amp that was very well packed using that insulation material for protection. Didn't realize what it was. Should have kept it for future use with the amp, but did not. My point - works for amps, too.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:54 AM

I've used much the same techniques. All of my sales have been Martins, and I save the original boxes and packing materials. I still worry about damage, so I supplement them.

As far as additional protection, I have found what works for me.
* Immobilize the guitar within the case, then the case within the box (OE Martin in my situation):
Newspaper fill in the headstock area then wrap the whole headstock in bubble wrap. Not so much that you stress the headstock, but enough to hold in place.
Any other voids get stuffed with newspaper.
* Close the case and shake; if I feel any movement at all, repack until none exists.
* Fit the case (now in a plastic bag) into the bottom support from Martin
Slip in thin styrofoam sheets against all four sides of the body section
Fill the neck area with crushed heavy paper or newspaper.
Fashion foam blocks on each side of the neck area to disallow any sideways movement should the top cardboard fail
* Fit the Martin top cardboard support.
* Close the box temporarily and shake the box; any movement requires repacking until none is detected.
* Tape it up and ship. I have found it good practice to print a second shipping label and leave inside the top of the box, just in case the outside one is damaged.

I know this may be overkill, but it works for me, and adds little extra weight (and retains the outside box dimensions). When the new owner of my former 0000 sinker opened the box, he texted me immediately and said it was the best packing job he had ever seen!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I like that you took the time and care to make sure the guitar was packaged safely for the new owner. I am like that . . . even if it costs me a little extra time or $. I don't care for that styrofoam material as it's super messy, spreads out everywhere, etc.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Top marks!

That carpet though....
Old 01-20-2020, 11:51 AM

Leave it to you my friend to be creative. Talk to you soon.

Ron
Old 01-20-2020, 12:17 PM

Not a good way to ship, IMO. I certainly would not be happy to receive such a package. Not only is it a mess, the foam board will transfer shock.

Ship it like a pro shop would. It's worth the time to get the correct box and packing materials.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Dropped off to UPS this morning with no problems. Was not oversized and well withing the limits.
I am very happy with how well the packing came out using this method. This is actually the second time I have shipped a guitar using this method.
But yes...it is a bit messy. However in my opinion A little bit of mess is well worth the extra protection.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I've used much the same techniques. All of my sales have been Martins, and I save the original boxes and packing materials. I still worry about damage, so I supplement them.

As far as additional protection, I have found what works for me.
* Immobilize the guitar within the case, then the case within the box (OE Martin in my situation):
Newspaper fill in the headstock area then wrap the whole headstock in bubble wrap. Not so much that you stress the headstock, but enough to hold in place.
Any other voids get stuffed with newspaper.
* Close the case and shake; if I feel any movement at all, repack until none exists.
* Fit the case (now in a plastic bag) into the bottom support from Martin
Slip in thin styrofoam sheets against all four sides of the body section
Fill the neck area with crushed heavy paper or newspaper.
Fashion foam blocks on each side of the neck area to disallow any sideways movement should the top cardboard fail
* Fit the Martin top cardboard support.
* Close the box temporarily and shake the box; any movement requires repacking until none is detected.
* Tape it up and ship. I have found it good practice to print a second shipping label and leave inside the top of the box, just in case the outside one is damaged.

I know this may be overkill, but it works for me, and adds little extra weight (and retains the outside box dimensions). When the new owner of my former 0000 sinker opened the box, he texted me immediately and said it was the best packing job he had ever seen!
Great additional Info TJNiles !
I did do most everything you mentioned as well. I like you Idea of printing up a second shipping label inside the box...You never know what can happen. I will have to do that next time for sure.
This is the second time I have shipped using the Styrofoam insulation. And I also got a compliment before as to it was the best packing he had ever seen as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion