The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 PM

Default Kalium strings?

I've used them on electric. Anyone try them for acoustic guitar? I was using D'addario 80/20 for awhile, switched to Elixir phosphor bronze. Wondering how Kalium "bronze" compares. There's practically no info on their site.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 PM

Sorry, but I for one have zero information that could help you. In fact, your post is the very first reference to Kalium strings that I’ve ever seen.

It sounds kind of like a cross between kale, the leafy green vegetable, and radium: as though some garden variety kale got exposed to radiation and is now growing ten feet tall and eating neighborhood pets and small children....

Which probably NOT what is happening with those strings.

Sorry I couldn’t be of any actual assistance.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 PM

Yeah, they're pretty niche. lol They were originally called Circle K, but iirc, they ran into some trademark issues with a grocery store chain.

I've tried their electric bass & guitar strings, and I prefer them to pretty much everything else on guitar, though I eventually settled on TI flats for bass. I'm considering TI Spectrums, but there's plenty info and feedback on those already. Nada for Kalium bronze.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I have some .125 gauge singles from them. I wanted a little more punch on the treble but didn’t want to jump up to .13. It was pretty hard to find .125 before Kalium came through. They work great, recommended.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
I have some .125 gauge singles from them. I wanted a little more punch on the treble but didn’t want to jump up to .13. It was pretty hard to find .125 before Kalium came through. They work great, recommended.
Did you mean .0125? I vaguely remember them being among the first to offer such in-between gauges on the plains.

Looking for feedback on the wound bronze strings though. Their website doesn't even say if they're 80/20 or phosphor. I'd guess 80/20. I emailed them but didn't hear back. It's starting to look like I'd have to just take the plunge. The dearth of info isn't terribly inspiring though.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:07 AM

Looked at their website and couldn't find anywhere near normal gauge ranges for the wound strings. They were either too light or heavy. There was also no explanation of their philosophy concerning this. Not particularly expensive although I didn't go far enough to check their shipping costs.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Looked at their website and couldn't find anywhere near normal gauge ranges for the wound strings. They were either too light or heavy. There was also no explanation of their philosophy concerning this. Not particularly expensive although I didn't go far enough to check their shipping costs.
They have a few sets, or you can make your own, that approximate others' extra light, custom light, and light. Heaviest is a 0.53, so nothing medium. They definitely need to update the site with some explanation of their approach to the acoustic strings.

They ship USPS priority. The charge was $7.75 on my last order.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion