The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2023, 08:27 AM

Default 50s 60s 70s Countrypolitan music..so many great songs

Different strokes for different folks. My parents were the same age as The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. They hated rock music. AM radio was a staple and Countrypolitan was the diet. This is sometimes ironic as country and rock and roll overlap often to a great degree. The country guys got haircuts.

What is Countrypolitan? The Nashville machine marketing country to sophisticated suburban and urban audiences. Country plus cosmopolitan. Thank Chet Atkins and his colleagues amongst others for Eddie Arnold, Charlie Rich, Mac Davis, and so on. Like any category of music there is a lot of garbage. Some of that garbage sold millions of records.

Example: Red Roses For A Blue Lady. The lyrics are more saccharine than the worst greeting card you ever read. It's what people who have no business writing poems write when they write a poem.

But there is goodness here too. Yes..it's all cheese but not all cheese is velveta. Familiar examples of creamy rocotta: A White Sport Coat (Marty Robbins), Paper Roses (Anita Bryant), Make The World Go Away (Eddie Arnold) and so much more.

What makes Mac Davis' I Believe In Music country apart f4om marketing? For you folks playing the assisted living facilities and retirement village circuit there is a lot of great music to be mined here. Just separate the coal from the diamonds.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:36 AM

"Different strokes for different folks.", I'll agree with this quote, the rest, not so much.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:37 AM

I agree there are many great songs from that genre. You also said separate the coal from the diamonds. That's completely subjective. What you may believe is a lump of coal may be a diamond in the rough to somebody else, and vise versa.

Instead just find what you like from this genre and play it!
Old 02-13-2023, 10:19 AM

I’m sure there are good songs in almost any genre. Out of the ones you mentioned, the only one I can personally listen to is the Marty Robbins tune. As a guitar player, of course I can learn something from Chet Atkins any time I hear him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic