The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-29-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer44 View Post
So now, a couple decades later, how successful was this guy's design because I was going to revert mine back to the way its supposed to be in order to sell it?
Also, can you say if this guy's X-fiddle had a clear ring tone, or was it just warm sounding, like the old Gibson flattop whose bracing I altered. It sounded warm before and after the change, however the after product had a much clearer ring tone.
well, if I recall correctly, he sold one to one of the leading showman at Bronson Mo. and I think Allison Krause has one. Google Bill Bannister, or maybe William Bannister.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
That is something I don't understand. What similar problem? Your "X" brace in a violin did not work very well. So what? X bracing works very well in guitars and mandolins, millions have been made, some are exceptionally good. I have made around 250 so far. I can easily get, as you put it, "diamond clear" tone on my mandolins using X bracing if that is what the customer wants. Some don't want it, they prefer a warmer tone, and I can do that as well. Ditto with guitars.
So you an make a clear-tone Swirl-Sound guitar? how cool is that?

Last edited by jazzer44; 10-29-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-29-2019, 03:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
So you an make a clear-tone Swirl-Sound guitar? how cool is that?
Not sure what you mean by that so I will let it pass. How about answering the question.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
Not sure what you mean by that so I will let it pass. How about answering the question.
Peter, this stems from the thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...7&goto=newpost

where Les Paul related guitar to a steel rail train track and found that a string will "ring forever" when suspended on such a solid beam, then he went on to pioneer electric guitar with his "log guitar" design. I installed a center beam in an old double bass to find same improvements in ring tone that Taylor claimed with its V-brace over X-brace, then related it to Les Paul's experiment and back to acoustic guitar. So the similar problem you're asking about is the not-so-true ring tone coming from the X brace that Taylor has now ditched for something better. On the cover of their summer 2019 magazine, Taylor used the term "Ringing Truer than Ever". Taylor's claims of improvement are well documented so I won't re-iterate what they say. On the flip side my center beam experiments show that aligning more continuous mass with the strings shows same results, and I think this information is valuable to anyone wishing come up with their own bracing instead of copying something that someone else designed.
I describe the old X brace sound as "Swirl Sound" because that's what it sounds like to me. And, as pleasant as that sound can be at times, is not practical for the working guitarist who needs to blend with other musicians and adapt to different situations on a regular basis. Discovering true-tone ring offers an explanation why X bracing is rarely used in more demanding styles like classical or jazz.
By altering the position of the bass bar in a violin to cross the center axis and be less in-line with the strings, my experiment demonstrated not-so-true ring can be found in violin as well as guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bracing