The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 04:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Folks,

Let's ratchet down the sarcasm and anger, or this thread is history.

Bob
Old 07-25-2004, 04:48 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Most respectfully Bob, it hasn't been all that bad compared to what I've seen here over the past 5 years. I'd hate to end up with the "Stepford Forum".

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 07-25-2004 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7b5
You can't fight Evolution Peter.
Evolution only applies to living things -- or things that were once alive.

This does not include guitars made from minerals or plastics.

2008 Collings OM-2HA
2002 Taylor 712ce
1970 Martin D-18
2008 Silver Creek D-170
2005 Washburn WD-32SW
2006 Gibson '61 Reissue SG
2002 Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster
2006 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
1972 Gibson SG Pro
1985 Squier Telecaster
2006 Epiphone AlleyKat

"Life without music would be a mistake." --Nietzsche
Old 07-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M
Most respectfully Bob, it hasn't been all that bad compared to what I've seen here over the past 5 years.
Perhaps the abuses of the last five years are what I'm trying to stop?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-25-2004, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack
Perhaps the abuses of the last five years are what I'm trying to stop?

Bob
At this rate it will be like going to church. OOPS!! Probably shouldn't have said that.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 07-25-2004, 06:05 AM

I don't understand why all the discussion about a guitar holding its value, or whether or not it might appreciate in value. Who cares? I think now that the golden era of guitar making is far in the past and there is such a huge supply of excellent guitars manufactured today, it is unlikely more than a few modern guitars will retain or appreciate in value. Just look on Ebay. Very few bids on used Taylors unless price is significantly under a new one.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:35 PM

Talking

I will nicely explain where you are wrong about a graphite guitar smashing just like wood. This is a fact!! I have read reports that say you can take a CA Guitar and raise it over your head and smash it into a cement floor and it is not damaged in any way. It has been done multiple times. Furthermore they ran over the neck of a CA Guitar with a fork lift and it wasn't damaged in any way. GO TRY THAT WITH A WOODEN GUITAR!

I'm sorry for sounding like a jerk but I obviously am much better informed than you about CA Guitars. They're inventor worked for NASA and helped build the fuel tanks for Space Shuttles. He basically just applied the technology he knew from this to making guitars. Carbon Fiber designed by CA Guitars is INCREDIBLY strong!! Wood is not by comparison.

Your statements were dead wrong, but I'll cut you some slack because you're uninformed. Please become better informed if you're going to have such a strong opinion.
I'll admit I am opinionated but it is because I'm well informed and I know what is truth. I am just trying to help others who don't know the benefits of CA Guitars.

I have not made false claims about wood guitars or put them down I've just been honest. Wood guitars can be BEAUTIFUL in looks and tone, but they are easily damaged. CARBON is also Beautiful in looks and tone and is not easily damaged. Why that is offensive to anyone is beyond me.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
This is a fact!! I have read reports that say.....
Is it a fact? Wow. Did the report you read say it was a fact? I have read reports that say your reports were not facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
They're inventor worked for NASA and helped build the fuel tanks for Space Shuttles.
Are these the same people that helped design the Challengers rocket boosters or the Columbia's heat tiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
CARBON is also Beautiful in looks and tone and is not easily damaged. Why that is offensive to anyone is beyond me.
That is actually not what we find offensive about your post.

Jess.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:40 PM

Default !!!!!!!!

never mind.

Last edited by mjz; 07-25-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:19 PM

This is worth repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack
Folks,

Let's ratchet down the sarcasm and anger, or this thread is history.

Bob
Disagree if you like, but find a way to do it under our "Be Nice" rule. It is a requirement for participating here, like it or not.

cotten
Old 07-25-2004, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I will nicely explain where you are wrong about a graphite guitar smashing just like wood. This is a fact!! I have read reports that say you can take a CA Guitar and raise it over your head and smash it into a cement floor and it is not damaged in any way. It has been done multiple times. Furthermore they ran over the neck of a CA Guitar with a fork lift and it wasn't damaged in any way. GO TRY THAT WITH A WOODEN GUITAR!
For the record, the back of my CA guitar seems more prone to scratches and belt buckle problems than either of my wood guitars.

Another issue with CA guitars that I don't want to deal with is the fact that my friendly local luthier may refuse to work on a specialty instrument like this. For instance, to install a pickup on a regular Legacy (without preinstalled electronics) you need special tools. So any major work (like a neck reset) and chances are it'll need to go back to the factory. With a wood guitar, there are a lot more repair options.

Pat, a question for you. Would you be willing to smash your CA against a cement floor while someone is videotaping? Neither would I. The best benefit I see of a graphite guitar is its relative imperviousness to temperature and humidity changes--quite useful to bluegrass festival performers. I wouldn't bank too much on the reported resistance to cement floors and forklifts; those are quite outside of the normal operating environments of most guitars.

Perhaps I can get away saying this kind of stuff because I own one...
Old 07-25-2004, 06:28 PM

How's the sustain on these babys? That's all I care about besides tone. I already figure the tone sounds like good plastic.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the carpenter
How's the sustain on these babys?
Strum a chord, go out to lunch, come back, it'll still be ringing. Orsomethingtothateffect. It sustains well.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
You are joking right? Please tell me you are. Otherwise some links to your "facts" would be appreciated (or like jalbert requested you can just send us a video of you smashing your CA on a concrete floor).

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 07-25-2004, 10:22 PM

DOn't mean to change the subject, but jalbert and jastevens-are you guys Jamaican by any chance?? Thinking of changing my name to jajeff

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber