The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-16-2001, 03:18 PM

Post Tunings

The other day I was messing around with some tunings on my 810, and, just for kicks, tuned everything down a half-step (I use medium/light Elixirs). I absolutely love the sound of it now. It never seemed to have a really full sound in standard, as it always seemed to have short bass sustain. Now, it just rings, and rings, and rings, and... I can't believe that such a slight mod (tuning & truss rod adjustment) could make this much difference. On the other hand, my DDSM still sounds the best in standard tuning. Ah, the joys of guitar.

Anyone else have something similar?

------------------
ihs' Gear
Old 01-16-2001, 03:25 PM

Hello,

To play in standard tuning I almost always tune down a whole step and capo at the second fret. I prefer the sound and also appreciate the reduced stretching greatly.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up

Hendricks,SRV and others tune down a half step for a number of thier songs. I keep one of my guitars tuned down a half step at all times. Easy on the fingers for sure and sounds great too.
Old 01-17-2001, 01:32 PM

Talking

I tune my 12 string down a full step (D). I play it like this by myself or capo on the 2nd fret if playing with other guitarists.

Nice sound and much easier on the guitar with the reduced string tension.
Old 01-17-2001, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by frayne48:
Hendricks,SRV and others tune down a half step for a number of thier songs. I keep one of my guitars tuned down a half step at all times. Easy on the fingers for sure and sounds great too.
My favorite SRV quote, "I use heavy strings, tune down and floor it. Floor it, that's technical talk."

Stevie tuned down a half step mostly because his gauge strings were so heavy. High E was at least a .13, sometimes heavier. Man, can you imagine how strong his hands were to bend those a couple whole steps?

Stevie had a tremendous impact on my life and my music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell