The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Default Outlandish resonator and others by Bob Rigaud

Hi all, I'm new to the AGF and thought I'd post a few photos of some guitars my friend and employer has built over the past couple years. I have the honor of having executed the inlays and fancy work featured in these instruments.

First is a Southern Red Maple Art Deco resonator that took about a thousand combined man hours to complete.

Next is beautiful little Brazillian Rosewood parlor size - The fingerboard features a full length snakewood insert and the rosette and headstock features bubbinga and spalted maple accents. A sweet little player with an angel's voice.

Last is a nice BRW Jumbo that John Hiatt bought (His second Rigaud, the first being a Walnut bodied mid-size) and currently appears in a lot of his promotional videos for his current CD. Check out the acoustic version of "Adios to California" on youtube to hear this monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju_PxpV00Wg

Hope you enjoy, and Happy Holidays!

Laser Bob

Last edited by fitness1; 12-16-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM

wow. that resonator is amazing. stunning.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM

beautiful guitars!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 AM

beautiful guitars!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM

Incredibly beautiful, thank you for the pictures and welcome to the AGF, you will be a wonderful asset.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

I love the use of woods on the resonator. Very very nice!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words and welcome!

Joel - looking at your work I'd say you're really adept at the use of beautiful woods and inlay - Gorgeous guitars.

The resonator used 100 year old Koa that Bob bought on a trip to Maui some years ago. He's currently building a parlour guitar and Uke set from the same wood - Should be smashing and I'll post pics when practicable.

BTW, heres a link to a video featuring the resonator so you can here the beast in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhb8QrbffNs

Thanks again - I'm happy to be with the AGF!

Bob
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 PM

First, welcome to the AGF, Bob. Those are beautiful guitars, and your own inlay work on them is outstanding, as well.

It was an interesting video - as Todd mentioned, that maple guitar does indeed sound a lot like a metal-bodied resonator instrument. If I'd only heard a recording, that's what I would have assumed it was.

Very interesting and admirable work. I took a look at the website, but during my quick glance through it I didn't find any prices listed. Can you point out where that might be?

For others who are interested, here's the website: http://rgmusic.com/index.html

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Bob,
Welcome to the forum. Gorgeous work! Please tell Bob & his wife we said hey.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:25 AM

Nice to hear from you Tim. Bob often mentions your name and it's usually paired with "Wonderful guitars", "Great Fella" and "Excellent Builder"

I'll pass on your greetings when I see him!

Wade,

Thanks for posting the website - Like a DumbA** I forgot to do so.

Prices aren't listed on the website probably because he rarely builds instruments to a rigid spec to have on hand - About every one I've seen go out have been customer spec'd builds and completely unique. The ones featured here (With the exception of the Jumbo he built for Hiatt) were built more or less for himself as he realizes that they are probably not everybody's cup of tea as far as aesthetics go. With the purchase and utilization of the Epilog laser Bob realized that nothing is really out of reach as far as detailing and embellishment go and the two examples here were products of endless games of "What If" and I wonder could we" that Bob and I played.That's not to say that they aren't for sale if somebody absolutely had to have one. Usually the price depends on choice of body style, woods and appointments as is true with most independent builders. If you like, PM me and I'll give you phone numbers where you can talk to Bob and he can give you any info you might require. He's a great guy and storyteller, so even a call to say hello would be interesting and worth it.

I might mention that Bob Has a substantial amount of beautiful woods and sets that he has offered for sale to builders - some can be seen on the website, but it's still under construction and info might be limited.

Bob

Last edited by Laser Bob; 12-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Now that is simply amazing... The word "custom" doesn't even come close to describing just how beautiful that instrument is. Art meets music...and they both come away as winners.

Thanks very much for sharing that with us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop