The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Default Extracting sounds off of a recording

hi everybody,
do you know what a tongue drum is? well i have some recordings of me playing acoustic guitar, while a poet friend is reading his poems. we worked on this a lot and had pieces that fit together in an organic way. and while we were doing it, we even had kind of a fan base and everything.

however, the one time we recorded ourselves, we tried it with a percussionist. it's a small tongue drum. and the percussionist's time is bad.

the recording was made about 20 years ago, and it's on a stereo cassette. all 3 of us are approximately even on both channels. is there a way I can chop out the drum? the drum isn't too wild. it's mostly quarter notes and eighth notes played with one hand.

what software would i use? how would I go about doing it?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalnitram View Post
hi everybody,
do you know what a tongue drum is? well i have some recordings of me playing acoustic guitar, while a poet friend is reading his poems. we worked on this a lot and had pieces that fit together in an organic way. and while we were doing it, we even had kind of a fan base and everything.

however, the one time we recorded ourselves, we tried it with a percussionist. it's a small tongue drum. and the percussionist's time is bad.

the recording was made about 20 years ago, and it's on a stereo cassette. all 3 of us are approximately even on both channels. is there a way I can chop out the drum? the drum isn't too wild. it's mostly quarter notes and eighth notes played with one hand.

what software would i use? how would I go about doing it?

thanks in advance.
If the drum is not on a separate track and if it is not in a register that the guitar and vocals don't occupy, there is no way of deleting it with any current technology known to me. One possibility might be to import the recording into a program that has the capability to synchronizing the recording to a reference drum or timing track. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has additional solutions.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM

I decided not to extract the percussion. Would probably be too much work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_yx6mt28A

The playing is a lot rougher than I remember it. The poet's name is George Eklund. He is one of my favorites. Recorded in 1992.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD