The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Question any Roland edirol R05 owners? want one for my 9 year old

want this for her mandolin lessons so she can tape the instructor for later use, and for her to be able to record herself and playback. She is 9 years old, want to keep it simple in controls/functions, as clear and clean sound as possible, and around $200 give or take.

I've been recommended the Roland edirol RO5-checked some reviews and they all sound pretty spot-on.

Any real users here to confirm.

thanks
daryl
Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 AM

Being simple in controls/function and the name "Roland" don't go together in my experience. Boss and Roland gear seems to have some of the most bloody-minded menus and modes and context-sensitive button mappings I've ever seen.

But unfortunately in mini-recorders tiny buttons, confusing screen displays and illogicals modes seem to be the norm. So I'm not sure what other brand might be less confusing and fiddly to use. The Edirol probably has good audio quality at any rate.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM

The Zoom H2 is used by many here on the AGF and seems to be highly recommended as one of the best simple recording devices available. The cost is less than your budget...see it here.

Sidebar: Brent, I have a multi-track Boss BR864 digital recorder and find the menus and controls very intuitive and easy to use, so I wouldn't hesitate to by any Boss or Roland recorder. I guess ease of use depends on what you are accustomed to using.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 AM

I do have limited patience with menus and "levels" and modes, whether from Roland or anyone else. I've owned a MicroBR (worst user interface ever) and DR-880 (not as bad but still fiddly and awkward) and played around for half an hour in a store with something like a BR-800 or similar (gave up without figuring out how to do much).

But even my Sony portable recorder which AFAIK is simpler than anything else in that market space has a couple of quirks that add a few seconds to aggravation every time you use it. I don't know why makers of these gadgets with tiny screens and tinier buttons want to put routine function two or three (or more) levels down in a menu tree that changes the function of the buttons with each level. It's like they're imagining you're pulling down menus on PC with a mouse or something.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-17-2011, 12:46 AM

Default Boss Micro BR

Hi,
I'm pretty new on here, but I just saw your post and felt the need to reply.
Sorry... I do not have a Roland Edirol, but I do have a Boss Micro BR which is a very nice small recorder. I think the basic functions are pretty easy to master, and there are some pretty advanced features that can be used too with a little more learning curve. (Drum loops, etc.)

I bought this little recorder with the intention of having it with me in case a song idea hit me while I was away from my Mac. What I have found, though, is that it is sitting gathering dust. 99% of my song ideas hit me late at night while I am sitting in my den with a guitar on my lap and my Mac within a few feet.

I paid $200 for it new from Guitar Center and I have it listed currently on Craigslist for $125. I have literally used it 5 times. I can tell because that is how many song ideas I have recorded on it.

Whether you are interested in mine or go for a new one, I can say that I think it is a pretty nice little recorder and may be just what the doctor ordered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD