The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Broken neck repair

So I decided to buy a guitar to practice repairs. I bought this guitar for the cost of a couple sets of elixirs. So if I make a mistake, no worries.

As you can see, broken neck. My plan is to us a Bessey clamp from the sound hole to the head stock (by stacking blocks inside), and a couple clamps on the fretboard.

Does this seem reasonable?

Do I need to make any precautions with glue around the truss rod?

I am planning to use Titebond III for the glue, any issues with mahogany and yellow glues?

BTW, man is this guitar cheap, painted fret markers, glued in saddle, finish (dip coated?)

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM

You might find this of some value !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6lzTM__Yrs
Old 02-27-2010, 01:16 PM

Good for you! You can only stand to learn something in the process.

PS - welcome to the forum.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:25 PM

titebond should be fine. good luck!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 AM

I don't use Titebond, but I believe Titebond I would be a better choice that Titebond III. Martin???
Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 AM
happiness

I know very little about such things, so pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't you use wood glue for a repair like this? It's not as though you're going to want to take it apart again afterwards.

Fliss
Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
I know very little about such things, so pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't you use wood glue for a repair like this? It's not as though you're going to want to take it apart again afterwards.

Fliss
I use hot hide glue. I've never used Titebond. The builders and repairmen I know who use titebond use titebond 1, instead of titebond 3. It could be because titebond 1 is easier to dis assemble than titebond 3. A repair like this is just begging for hot hide glue because it doesn't creep, but it isn't worth the equipment (a glue pot) and the learning curve for 1 repair.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Smile Reason for Titebond III

First of all, all the glues we have discussed are wood glues. We are just using brand names. All things considered, Elmer's white glue would probably work pretty well. My concern with mahogany was the high oil content. I know it's nothing like bubinga, I thought it was worth a quick question.

Fine Woodworking did a test last year on strengths of wood glue. The one glue which surprised me as generally weak, was Gorilla Glue. That with its issues with life, and clean-up, I just don't use it.

As you might have figured out, I am a woodworker. Guitars are new to me, but I like to combine hobbies when I can.

The reason I like Titebond III is a longer work time than the original. Since this is my first neck glue, I figure the more time I have to adjust, and find mistakes, the better. Gluing always freaks me out, tic,tic,tic tic.... it's like a time bomb if I don't get it correct.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 PM

The oils in Mahogany won't cause you any problems. Cocobolo is supposed to be hard to glue with traditional glues because of the oils, but I'm allergic to it, so I can't say either way.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Thumbs up Neck "repaired"

Well, I have repaired the neck, and glued in the nut. The string height at the nut needs a bit of filing and the saddle wasn't glued in, it was just forcibly installed. I have removed and fitted it so that I can do some setup.

I am not completely happy with how the joint looks, it's pretty obvious that the neck has been repaired. Although it's smooth (filled and sanded smooth) and it doesn't affect the playability. I think in order to hide the repair, I would need to strip all the finish, apply an opaque stain and refinish the neck.

Will post pics tonight.

Thanks for everyone's support.

I have been reading in the shadows for some time, finally got around to posting.

LOTS of great information.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Glad it went well.

I just had to fix the broken headstock on my Baby Taylor (that's what I get for letting my 2 year old play it). I was able to make the repair nearly invisible. The fiber/synthetic veneer is the only obvious tip-off. Not totally sure what it's made of or how to handle it.

And, for the record, I used titebond 1.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair