The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Cars and my Neighbourhood

Looks like the area is looking up.

New Rolls in neighbour's drive.

I'm gonna have to keep mine a little longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0541.jpg (43.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0143.jpg (73.2 KB, 218 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

A guy down the street from me owns three 1970s Corvettes. They aren't the immaculate types; they are all "projects," if you know what I mean. But it is fun to putter by and see them when he has them out in the driveway.

Now, a friend of mine owned an immaculate '72 Vette that he was the first owner of. It was garage-kept and he only drove it on sunny days. There was a constant queue of enthusiasts asking to purchase the option to buy on that car. He passed a few years back and I have no idea what happened to the car.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 AM

One nice thing about getting older, Corvettes made after 1967 are pretty much "trash"-------- I don't have any of them either.

Fog
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM

My neighbors drive nicer vehicles than ours (Highlander and Rav4). Teslas and Maserati mostly, but a couple of homes away they have have a Bentley and a Rolls. That family is in the recording industry and they keep a very low profile for some reason. One of our neighbors is a Kia dealer so we see a continuing rotation of product from that brand.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:10 AM

Gotta say, if I could afford a Rolls, I'd spend the money on a bigger house first.

But we all spend on different stuff, I guess. I have a friend who lives in a one bedroom apartment in one of the dodgiest areas in Chicago, drives a Mercedes. We joke that anybody who didn't know him would swear he's a drug dealer (he's actually a Special Education Teacher)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
One nice thing about getting older, Corvettes made after 1967 are pretty much "trash"-------- I don't have any of them either.

Fog
Not sure what you mean by that Fog? I don't have a Corvette and have never really wanted one either but there are some awfully nice ones out there well past 67.

Okay, let me revisit my statement of not wanting one. If I were to land a sizable windfall, the kind where money is no object, I guess I could see myself finding a 63 split window in silver blue with the fuel injected 327 option. My knees would hate me for it but I'd also option for the stick version just for the thrill of it. I'd also prefer a survivor car but a properly restored to stock one would do nicely.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Gotta say, if I could afford a Rolls, I'd spend the money on a bigger house first.

But we all spend on different stuff, I guess. I have a friend who lives in a one bedroom apartment in one of the dodgiest areas in Chicago, drives a Mercedes. We joke that anybody who didn't know him would swear he's a drug dealer (he's actually a Special Education Teacher)
Yours is the practical approach, and much along the lines as how I think.

But, then I do own several nice guitars that somebody into cars and not guitars might raise eyebrows at. When I did play professionally, I had "crap" guitars compared to what I have now, but that reflected a big difference in income rather than conscious choice.

With regard to the discussion about Corvettes (not about the post I quoted), as I recall, it was the Corvettes from the 60s and before that were highly desirable and the models from the 70s were not. I have not been around Corvette enthusiasts for some time now, so that may have changed. But back in the 80s and 90s, Corvettes from the 1970s seemed to go for little more than any other used car of similar age.

Tony

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-28-2020, 01:29 PM

LOL. I just built a home in a beautiful fishing village so everyone around me has pickup trucks. I think I "need" one too.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:03 PM

'Well Gov, 'e' did a runner in a roller'

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Hey Joe White, 1968 is the year Chev left the original Corvette styling. Me? I want the 1957 model (The last year of the 2 headlights). Your imaginary 1963 split window is certainly welcome in my car show though. Funny how that split window thing wasn't all that popular "back in the day", its different story now!

Fog
Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
One nice thing about getting older, Corvettes made after 1967 are pretty much "trash"-------- I don't have any of them either. Fog
Another nice thing about growing older is that you know what you like and don't care about other people's opinions. I fell in love with the '70s Corvette and the Gen 2 Jag XKE and nothing is going to change that, really. Same with the Triumph Spit and TR4. People call 'em crap but I love them.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny how that split window thing wasn't all that popular "back in the day", its different story now!

Fog
Yes, so unpopular that they went to the full window in 64. I often wonder if they just couldn't get the full window in time for the 63 release but didn't want to hold it up so they did the split window as a work around.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:35 PM

Default Cars and my Neighbourhood

In the time and place I grew up, all of these guys were within a half-hour of my house:

I also know where to find some interesting, unrestored vintage tin hiding in plain sight right here on S.I: a '39 Chevy, a couple of '67 Mustangs, a bunch of post-war Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto sedans and, interestingly enough, the Eastern Automotive '40 Willys in the first photo; presently in primered street-rod trim, the current owner's gradually bringing it back to 1968 specs and hoping to run it at the nostalgia meets - I'd love to see a good old-fashioned Brooklyn throwdown against the Russo & Santo '41 Willys sedan...
Old 02-28-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

New Rolls in neighbour's drive.
Wot no Spirit of Ecstasy?

Very meh-looking vehicle for a Rolls I must say.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:59 PM

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s [edit: donkey].

I was in Kensington a while back to see David Gilmour at the Albert Hall. Have never seen so many Bentleys, Rolls and the odd Lamborghini and Ferrari all in one place, it was literally every second car. I find them all a bit trashy myself but I still watch Top Gear I admit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic