The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here's what I have. Since you are out of the states, you'll just need to pay shipping.Attachment 29579
That was very nice of you Bonedigger!!
Old 11-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
(Detailed post)
Frank, thanks for your comprehensive post, has given me a lot to think about. Now I am not so sure if I made the right decision cancelling the SM57. As Bonedigger is kindly gifting me the interface I now have the cash for two mics, the question remains whether to get a small condenser like the AKG Perception 170 or C1000 for guitar or stick with the SM57 I originally ordered. I am veering towards condenser for instrument. For vocals I will definitely get a condenser mic. I can still experiment with Baggs Anthem in the mix too.

Background noise at my own place potentially an issue as I live near a train station. I sometimes have to time my songs between trains using the Zoom H2N lol, but that picks up absolutely everything. At my friend’s place not so much an issue, his flat is very quiet plus he actually knows what he is doing with mixing, I will be learning from scratch but it would be nice not to rely on him for everything.

I was hoping using a pop filter and weather shield might mitigate background noise for the vocals at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
That was very nice of you Bonedigger!!
Indeed it is, the gentleman has saved me well over £100 as I was probably going to go with that other audio interface I mentioned for my own home. Thanks mate!

Old 11-19-2019, 04:12 PM

Ok, so I think I have narrowed it down to several choices:

Vocals
  • Rode NT1A Complete Vocal System - £129
    AT2020 inc mic stand and pop shield - £95
    AT2035 inc shock mount - £113

Instrument
  • AKG C1000 - £88
    Shure SM57 - £88

What do you think and what would your choice be? Anything missing at the same price point? £113 seems good for the AT2035, there is a cash back deal on it right now. The Rode accessories look really nice. The AT2020 seems excellent value and has great reviews.

Instrument mic still boils down to condenser vs dynamic

Old 11-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Ok, so I think I have narrowed it down to several choices:

Vocals
  • Rode NT1A Complete Vocal System - £129
    AT2020 inc mic stand and pop shield - £95
    AT2035 inc shock mount - £113

Instrument
  • AKG C1000 - £88
    Shure SM57 - £88

What do you think and what would your choice be? Anything missing at the same price point? £113 seems good for the AT2035, there is a cash back deal on it right now. The Rode accessories look really nice. The AT2020 seems excellent value and has great reviews.

Instrument mic still boils down to condenser vs dynamic
Me personally for recording I would go with the AT 2035 and the AKG C1000

I think those two mic's are a great start and will take you a long way down the recording path.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Me personally for recording I would go with the AT 2035 and the AKG C1000

I think those two mic's are a great start and will take you far down the recording path.
Thanks, that is my own preference. Will wait for another one or two responses then pull the trigger I reckon.

Thanks again to Bonedigger, I wouldn’t be able to afford such a nice starting setup if I had to cough up full price for the interface too.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

If you're at US$150 look at the AT2035. Low self noise too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-19-2019, 06:45 PM

Ended up getting the AT2035 and AKG C1000 whilst the price was right. Thanks very much everyone for your advice, once I have it set up will no doubt post some recordings in Show and Tell.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Ended up getting the AT2035 and AKG C1000 whilst the price was right. Thanks very much everyone for your advice, once I have it set up will no doubt post some recordings in Show and Tell.
Those were wise choices.

Also, just as a passing note, the 2020 is actually a medium diaphragm mic. Many potential purchasers who are looking for a "large diaphragm condenser" think the 2020 is an LDC because it looks like one.

Not to fault the mic, as it is a great mic in and of itself, but the capsule size is often misunderstood.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I use two AT2035 for my guitar (just instrumental).

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use two AT2035 for my guitar (just instrumental).
Out of interest where do you position them, and if you only had one where would you position that? I believe 12th fret is correct?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Out of interest where do you position them, and if you only had one where would you position that? I believe 12th fret is correct?
You have to experiment with that. Some guitars need more bass picked up so I would put the mic by the saddle, other times the 12th fret is good when a guitar puts out a lot of bass (like my Avalon).

When I record I use two mics, 12th and saddle, but will angle the mics toward or away from the sound hole depending on the guitar and the wind,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 11-20-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You have to experiment with that. Some guitars need more bass picked up so I would put the mic by the saddle, other times the 12th fret is good when a guitar puts out a lot of bass (like my Avalon).

When I record I use two mics, 12th and saddle, but will angle the mics toward or away from the sound hole depending on the guitar and the wind,
Thanks, interesting stuff. Perhaps I will try AT2035 pointed at 12th fret mixed with Anthem SL as that combines mic and piezo.

Yeah, I said AT2035. I went and changed my order again to two AT2035s after reading a bunch of horror stories about the AKG C1000. Andertons have very patient customer services.

My friend pointed out he’d prefer two different mics for frequency ranges but it’s too late now, I read so much good stuff about the AT2035 I think I made a good choice for an extra £25.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, interesting stuff. Perhaps I will try AT2035 pointed at 12th fret mixed with Anthem SL as that combines mic and piezo.

Yeah, I said AT2035. I went and changed my order again to two AT2035s after reading a bunch of horror stories about the AKG C1000. Andertons have very patient customer services.

My friend pointed out he’d prefer two different mics for frequency ranges but it’s too late now, I read so much good stuff about the AT2035 I think I made a good choice for an extra £25.
I think you made the right choice.
The beauty of digital recording is you can experiment to your hearts content, and lose nothing in the process. You stated "I do not want to record vocals and guitar separately ever" (while I would suggest with digital "never say never") understanding that there are advantages and disadvantages to both tracking guitar and vocals together , and separate also. The great thing is you can try both.

The advantage to tracking guitar and voice at the same time is, that is how you are used to playing so it feels more natural (and note that if you do it that way, and having two of same mic's with the same frequency response can be an advantage over two different mic's in terms of ease of mixing and EQ etc.)

With the two channel interface however, the advantage of considering tracking separately, is that you can track the guitar in stereo with the two AT2035's panned Left and Right and then track and dub the vocal and pan it center . This gives you a wider soundfield and better separation between the guitar and vocal and more mixing options.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-20-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think you made the right choice.
The beauty of digital recording is you can experiment to your hearts content, and lose nothing in the process. You stated "I do not want to record vocals and guitar separately ever" (while I would suggest with digital "never say never") understanding that there are advantages and disadvantages to both tracking guitar and vocals together , and separate also. The great thing is you can try both.

The advantage to tracking guitar and voice at the same time is, that is how you are used to playing so it feels more natural (and note that if you do it that way, and having two of same mic's with the same frequency response can be an advantage over two different mic's in terms of ease of mixing and EQ etc.)

With the two channel interface however, the advantage of considering tracking separately, is that you can track the guitar in stereo with the two AT2035's panned Left and Right and then track and dub the vocal and pan it center . This gives you a wider soundfield and better separation between the guitar and vocal and more mixing options.
Interesting! I’m starting to really look forward to this.

In the meantime I’ll be recording a few acoustic songs for an album my friend and I are working on together before Bonedigger’s audio interface arrives so will get a nice chance to try out the AT2035 soon.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:22 AM

That's me all set up now! Thanks everyone for the advice and thanks very much Bonedigger for the interface!

Here's a first recording (also one of the first songs I wrote) with the setup. Obviously need to work on levels mixing (haven't done anything to this besides record) but I'm well impressed with the guitar sound using the AT2035s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD