The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1833 View Post
I have not been able to get my MOC discount on guitars , strings or on items that are already marked down . Joe R

I always have at the Guitar Makers Connection. I bought 4 kits one time with both discounts.

I don't buy much at the 1833 Shop; maybe you can't get it there.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
I don't buy much at the 1833 Shop; maybe you can't get it there.
You do, on the kits for sure. Ordered three last year and got both discounts.
Checked yesterday and as stated, the MOC discount is there as well as the 25%.
Ordering a couple today.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 AM

I hadn't realized that this was a benefit for the Martin Owner's Club. For those of us who like to get "under the hood" I think it's actually not a half bad deal. I like that there's also a free "Behind the Scenes" factory tour included on the deal.

As for buying a kit, I see it as a way of getting somebody "hooked" but it doesn't fully prepare you IMO. You have to have a certain bit of patience and attention to detail that could border on or lead to an obsession. It's certainly not as easy as putting a piece of IKEA furniture together and that the results can fall well short of expectations. At the very least, it gives you a greater appreciation of how much thought has gone into the process to provide a consistent product.

Personally, though I would prefer having a luthier guide me along or be able to rub shoulders with the Custom Shop guys - along with a visit to talk to the ladies who run the Guitar Maker's Connection. By being able to suggest and hand pick each individual piece for either a full kit or "bits and bobs" (as I like to call them) they provide a service that isn't part of the 1833 online Shop IIRC.

OT: I think I've talked myself into another pilgrimage to Nazareth. My D-16GT could use a little TLC! I need to check my Hilton points.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 PM

The link provided went to Martin, but there was no mention of kits, or a kit tab to click on.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
The link provided went to Martin, but there was no mention of kits, or a kit tab to click on.
Try this
https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/

It's the shop page, top couple of new items are the Sipo kits.

If you change the category to Guitar Maker's Connection, you'll see all the items they have listed for luthiers.

Note that the GMC has each and every part for these kits - so if you, say, need an extra neck or fretboard, they can sell you that individual piece. Not everything is listed on the website though. You have to call to get non listed items - or show up there, if you're local.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM

The kits are really quite a good deal, yes they are mainly discards from the Martin production floor, but then they are mainly cosmetic issues, You still get a pretty good quality kit for the money. I think its one of the cheapest if not the cheapest kits available. (Especially with the MOC Discounts and 25% off now).

its a good way to start if you are just interested in trying to build a guitar. It gets a bit more expensive when you factor in the tools, but you dont need every single luthier specific tool, You just have to be creative sometimes.

The kits come with a preshaped neck that can be shaped to your fit. pre bent sides (and purfling if you opt for the herringbone units) Pre radiused and slotted finger board with the Marker positions already pre routed. Contoured and radiused braces with the positions marked out on the top and backs. The top will usually come with the soundhole cut out and the rosette slot routed, and sometimes installed, bridge is pre slotted and pin holes are drilled . It also comes with a handy step by step instruction book.
Martin Dreadnought Jr 2A
Fender Stratocaster H-S-S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair