The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah, my first thought was that it was a guitar "growl" :-) I'd have never noticed it if rick didn't point it out tho.
I'm also not hearing any distortion on the high notes. Just the reverb tail (which seems maybe digital?). But again, I'm not listening through my studio monitors.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:20 AM

Doug

You may be interested to know that your album recording of your piece 'Cairo' is one of the reference recordings I go back to, often.

Kym
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The recording on top is me playing a 29 second section of The Parting Glass which I normalized and did noise removal on. The recording on the bottom is a section of Al Petteway's recording of the same section of the song from his cd that I imported into Audacity. I think when I recorded mine my input gain was too low, but still, there's a lot of "meat" missing from mine.
You normalized yours to peak at 0 dB?
Old 06-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Off-topic: Joseph, you seem to have good taste in guitar tone :-) With your recording expertise, I'm curious what solo guitar tracks you would vote as great examples? I have my favorites, but I'm always looking for good reference tracks. Any suggestions?
Probably no suggestions you haven't yet encountered The early days I was influenced by Rebourn and Jansch. Then the 80's trend of Ackerman and even Hedges. I saw Hedges a couple of times and his music was really best experienced live. Otherwise it comes across as a bit processed. Same with the Windham Hill trend and those massive Lexicon verbs.

Contemporarily my favorite (in terms of recording sonic) is McManus. Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage are capturing some of the most beautiful acoustic tones I've ever heard. Thomas Oliver when he's doing his Weissenborn stuff still gives me goosebumps. I also really like much of the tones of Martin Simpson. Not by any stretch a "solo guitar" effort but the tones on Trails and Tribulations is outstanding. I'm just not a big fan of his blues stuff, not my cup of tea. I of course like Bensusan as well but his stuff get a tad crisp for me. By the way none of the criticisms here have anything to do with talent, just tones.

I like Martin Tallstrom but really more for his touch and technique than strictly his tone.

In terms of more of a combo/group representation of acoustic guitar Ron Block is my favorite. Dan Tyminski right there as well.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
You normalized yours to peak at 0 dB?
The setting was -1.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM

Default Another version..

Hi Barry

You inspired me to learn this piece and also to try and get a sound close to Al’s (which is difficult without his guitar playing skills ;-)

Here it is - let me know what you think;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Hi Barry

You inspired me to learn this piece and also to try and get a sound close to Al’s (which is difficult without his guitar playing skills ;-)

Here it is - let me know what you think;

Nice Peter! It sounds closer to the original than mine even over my phone. I posted another version in a different thread that got me closer though than what I started with. I'm going to try my large condenser mic, an mxl, but I may have to sneak in a pair of the at2020 mics at some point, lol. They sound very good.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice Peter! It sounds closer to the original than mine even over my phone. I posted another version in a different thread that got me closer though than what I started with. I'm going to try my large condenser mic, an mxl, but I may have to sneak in a pair of the at2020 mics at some point, lol. They sound very good.

Thanks Barry.

I haven’t tried any others to compare them to to be honest, it they seem like good value for a starter set.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Very nice sound!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Very nice sound!

Thanks Doug, much appreciated [emoji3]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD