The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Default NEW Genz Benz Shenandoah Compak Amps

Anyone seen or hears these new amps
They were new at the NAMM

Apparently the size of an AER with a lot of wattage
Heres the link
They come in 8" and 10" speakers with 175 watts with ability to handle 300W with an extension speaker

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&m...sid=629&cid=94
Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I love the feature where you can remove the "guts" of the amp and use it with other PA systems. Very cool!!!

Matt
Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 AM

Looks like they're only on eBay so far, but they sound interesting. I'm on the hunt for a small acoustic amp, and this looks pretty attractive.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 AM

very interesting indeed. 16 pounds and Genz Benz makes very good amps. I love my 200 watt stereo weighting in at 70 lbs. This could cetainly save the back, but certainly not on the cheap side. I am in the market for something much lighter and was looking seriously at the Fishman Solo. This one really changes my thoughts.
Free enterprise killed the banking system but I see that it sill good for driving innovative products.
steve

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Yes, these new GB mini amps look very cool! The only thing I wish is that they had incorporated the tube preamp section from their Shen Pro LT amps...it looks like these mini GB's use a solid state preamp section. The tube mix control in the Shen Pro really helps to warm up the sound of any source (mic or pickup) very nicely.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Looked at the specs and manual and this amp seems like it would be the amp of choice over AER which is probably thought of as the the high end acoustic compact amp. I know the Fishman Solo is a little different concept but at the same price, man I just don't see walking away without this new Genz Benz unless it really don't live up to what they have done in the past. Did anyone see it at Namm? Is there an equivilent term for GAS in the amp world. I guess that would be ***, man that just doesn't work as well.
Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Interesting looking amp.... nice amount of power... neat features.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 PM

IMO Genz Benz makes the best acoustic amps on the market. I dont think any other company makes amps that sound nearly as good.
Castillo 3/4th Size Nylon
Epiphone DR-212 Twelve String Guitar
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

These are serious contenders for me right now, especially if I can find one to try!

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for a 8" vs 10" speaker in this setting? I'm obsessed with smaller gear, but if the 10" provides a significant advantage, I'm all about it.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 PM

I was thinking about the 8 vs 10 as well. I guess I look at the small one and think it would be great to be at 16 pounds. I have the 200 watt 70 lb that would cover the need for larger speakers if I need it. It would be great if you were near a place that would carry both sizes but what are the chances of that. I assume with this product we will get a hands on review someplace pretty soon.
Steve
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding what the benefit is here. The Genz Benz site says:

"The Shenandoah Compak 300 combos offer attractive, creative, lightweight cabinet designs and our unique removable amplifier chassis feature. This allows the player to extract the amp and use it for larger venues, transporting it in the pocket of a guitar gig bag."

How am I going to "use it for larger venues"? I apologize for my apparent density.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Maybe they mean slide it into different speaker cabs ,,,, the smaller speakers for wee events and the bigger cab and speakers for... well you get it.. or as a pre?? I was wondering also as any good CA Xi charcoal guy would.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 02-10-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what the benefit is here. The Genz Benz site says:

"The Shenandoah Compak 300 combos offer attractive, creative, lightweight cabinet designs and our unique removable amplifier chassis feature. This allows the player to extract the amp and use it for larger venues, transporting it in the pocket of a guitar gig bag."

How am I going to "use it for larger venues"? I apologize for my apparent density.
By using the Shen to sculpt your sound then running to a house system, I would guess. The kind of place that might need better coverage than a single sound source can comfortably handle, especially if there are lots of other sound sources for your guitar to compete with.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Little shop down the road from me just got a couple of these in. Such a tiny little amp and man did it fill up the room. It's like an optical illusion. I kept wanting to look around to see where the sound was really coming from. This was only the 8 inch speaker too. GAS attack!

http://bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM

I better check these things out as I do live in Genz Benz country here in AZ
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification