The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry,
Last night it was very simple:

Guitar: Goodall Concert Jumbo, Myrtle Wood back and sides, Port Orford Top.
Pick-up: LR Baggs iMix (Element UST and iBeam Bridge Transducer) run in stereo.

Stereo Y cable sending the two pick-ups to separate channels on my Bose T1 (Bose mini mixer) and then to my Bose L1 (tower).

That's it! Essentially I ran directly into the board! The board in this case is a bit different. The T1 is a pretty neat unit. On each channel I was using an EQ setting designed by Bose and LR Baggs to match the exact pick-up and make them sound the way both Baggs and Bose think they should sound through the Bose L1 system.

Is that what you are looking for?

Matt
Old 03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
...Is that what you are looking for?
Yes, Matt...
So it worked well for you - great!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

Larry,
It did work for me. To experiment, at tonight's show I put the Para DI's back in the chain. So I was using the same guitar with the iMix in stereo. I used a stereo cable to send each pick up to a separate Baggs DI and then out of each DI into a separate channel on my Bose T1. I liked this better.

I put new strings on today and they were sounding a bit bright. I used the HI EQ knob on the Para DI on the iBeam to make a very slight cut. That worked perfectly and I really enjoyed the tone again tonight. But that has me back to thinking that I need something between my guitar and any mixer, even the Bose T1 that allows me to fine tune the tone.

Matt
Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 AM

I'd say sell the PADI's, buy the Pendulum, and get it over with. If you were looking for someone to just go ahead and tell you that, I'll take the role...

What are ya waiting for? Sounds like you'll always question yourself if you don't, wondering what could have been. While you're playing this regularly sounds like the perfect time to justify it. I'm not saying put yourself in the poor house to get one, but you only live once right? If it doesn't do it for you, they sell pretty easily, so I've seen on the bay and audio sites. You could recoop most of your money if you had to sell it.

It's calling your name.... hear it? It sounds heavenly and warm....
Old 03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...That worked perfectly and I really enjoyed the tone again tonight. But that has me back to thinking that I need something between my guitar and any mixer, even the Bose T1 that allows me to fine tune the tone.
Hi Matt...
If we can just get you to quit ''thinking'' you are going to have more fun! Thinking is dangerous...(I'm smiling)

Between the guitar and the mixer...
There are two tone adjusting buffer-zones between me and the house PA...a preamp and my stage amp. The house pulls it's feed from the XLR on my amps.

I use external preamps for all my guitars which I normally set and leave alone. I know my instruments and how they perform through my amp, so I rarely need to tweak tone once a rig is up and running. It doesn't change much ever, so the only tone changes that are made come at the house PA level which is fed by my amp.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Larry,
That's pretty much what I am looking for. I can't bring my amp with me when I fly and I don't think I need it when I use my Bose. I've done what you are talking about with my Para DI. I have it set the way I want and I take that with me everywhere. I actually wouldn't mind taking two Para DI's with me to use on different house systems if there was a better way of summing them into one balanced signal.

zb0430,
Actually, I could sell two Para DI's, two different Aura pedals, two Boss GE-7's, maybe a pedal board and a ton of cases, cables, adapters, etc. etc. It would be like an acoustic guitar gear yard sale.

I appreciate your blessing and your permission to buy the SPS-1. Now can you call my wife. :-) (just kidding, she actually doesn't care one way or the other as long as she doesn't have to hear about it endlessly and then sit and listen and try to tell me which piece of gear sounds better!)

Maybe this thread is causing folks to shout a collective "Shut up and buy the thing!" Which is what I usually do! But this all has been very helpful and has caused me, for once, to step back and very carefully consider a gear purchase.

Weighing portability and the fact that the Pendulum may not work well with some sound systems, I'm still not sure that it's the right piece of gear for my current situation. I guess I would never know that for sure without trying it and maybe the sound I'd get would make any portability issues worth it.

But we can put this thread to rest if you want and I'll continue mulling it over silently.

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 03-08-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry,
That's pretty much what I am looking for. I can't bring my amp with me when I fly and I don't think I need it when I use my Bose. I've done what you are talking about with my Para DI. I have it set the way I want and I take that with me everywhere. I actually wouldn't mind taking two Para DI's with me to use on different house systems if there was a better way of summing them into one balanced signal.

zb0430,
Actually, I could sell two Para DI's, two different Aura pedals, two Boss GE-7's, maybe a pedal board and a ton of cases, cables, adapters, etc. etc. It would be like an acoustic guitar gear yard sale.

I appreciate your blessing and your permission to buy the SPS-1. Now can you call my wife. :-) (just kidding, she actually doesn't care one way or the other as long as she doesn't have to hear about it endlessly and then sit and listen and try to tell me which piece of gear sounds better!)

Maybe this thread is causing folks to shout a collective "Shut up and buy the thing!" Which is what I usually do! But this all has been very helpful and has caused me, for once, to step back and very carefully consider a gear purchase.

Weighing portability and the fact that the Pendulum may not work well with some sound systems, I'm still not sure that it's the right piece of gear for my current situation. I guess I would never know that for sure without trying it and maybe the sound I'd get would make any portability issues worth it.

But we can put this thread to rest if you want and I'll continue mulling it over silently.

Thanks!
Matt
Do you plan on doing any home recording?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Do you plan on doing any home recording?
Yes. In fact, in May of 2007 I released my 5th CD which was entirely recorded at home. I didn't get too complex: acoustic guitar, vocals, harmonica, piano and bass. I loved the process and I felt like, for the first time, I didn't settle for anything because of studio time pressure.

Matt
Old 03-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Well, glad to be of service to you! The only thing left now is find you a link to an auction and to call up the Mrs. and tell her it's a necessity! I wouldn't mind at all, I don't have to come home to her!

My thought on the whole thing would be this:

The Pendulum is somewhere close to the best money can buy. You obviously have been intrigued, and on top of that, you do have a nice chunk of change invested in gear you could sell. My bet is that the Pendulum will be compatible with most mixers you encounter. The crappiest of crap mixers will obviously have a problem with that kind of output, but any high end stuff would work flawlessly. But, just as peace of mind, I'd probably keep a PADI and carry with me for situations that arose that required it, and as a backup preamp/tone shaper. I'm a firm believer in at least 1 backup option... This way, you know that either way you have at minimum a "good" sound, but if you can use the Pendulum, it is completely spectacular.

Not to mention I've heard that the Pendulum is an awesome tool for home recording too.

It's easy for me to make recommendations and spend somebody else's money! I suppose your job is just to weigh out the options and take it from there...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:37 PM

Now just to muck things up a little more is the Highlander PAMDI which is a very high quality $600 two channel blender with great eq and very quiet. It is not two channels out however. i think it may be second to the pendulum in quality and sound and it is very portable, presently sitting on my pedalboard but able to fit into some guitar storage compartments
Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
Now just to muck things up a little more is the Highlander PAMDI
I quickly read over the manual for the PAMDI. This looks very nice. It's like an advanced version of the Fishman Pocket Blender.

It scores big points on portability and I love the fact that it can be battery powered. The EQ set up looks very nice and would certainly give me more tone shaping options than the Solstice.

brokenpretzel,
Are you using your PAMDI to blend a dual souce?

Does anyone else have any experience with this unit?

Alright, new thread: Highlander PAMDI vs. Pendulum SPS-1 :-)

Matt
Old 03-09-2008, 02:11 AM

i use the PAMDI to blend the two signals on my somewhat customized dean 7 string acoustic with the original Shadow piezo and a sunrise pickup i had installed. the detail of the eq and the fact that it goes down to 25hz allows me to work with the low string which is sometimes tuned as low as F#.
i also have this inexpensive soares archtop 7 string which has a k and k floating bridge pickup blended with a kent armstrong wound humbucker. The PAMDI does the job. It has an effects loop as well. it is a little hard to read at the floor level but because i use it on a pedalboard, i deal with that. you could mount it higher up like i used to do with my presonus acousti q
Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
it is a little hard to read at the floor level but because i use it on a pedalboard,
That is the only info I've been unable to find. No one, not even Highlander lists the physical dimensions of the PAMDI. Would you mind letting me know the size, roughly?

Also, what is on the bottom of the unit? Does it have feet or a piece of rubber like the Para DI?

brokenpretzel,
You sure did throw a wrench into all of this! :-)

With each blender that's been mentioned and with the ones I've been considering there are advantages and drawbacks to each making it difficult, if not impossible to find the "perfect" one.

The Pendulum seems wonderful and I'd love to have it but I'm still pretty new to the world of "flying to gigs." And I'm scared that I wouldn't be able to take it with me. It would either be too bulky if I kept it in a rack or too vulnerable to transport and use if I didn't have it in a rack.

The Solstice gets more portable but the EQ'ing capabilities seem a bit limited.

I also considered trying to get a used Fishman Pocket Blender. The size is great and I love the fact that it's battery powered but that EQ seems very limited. I can't say for sure without trying one but I think I would feel better with Mid EQ knobs for each channel.

And now this Highlander PAMDI. This seems like a pretty well thought out unit. Not true parametric EQ like the Pendulum but what appears to be some great tone shaping capabilities. I don't know the exact size yet but it appears to be very portable. I could certainly put this in a Pelican hard case and throw it in my backpack. It can be battery powered so if I'm doing a quick set I don't have to find AC.

This PAMDI seems to be about what I'm looking for. I don't know anything about Highlander as far as quality, customer service etc. Those are things that I know come with the Pendulum. But with the portability issue being a chief concern, maybe this PAMDI is the ticket.

Matt
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I haven't yet tried the PAMDI. Two folks who post here occasionally, and whose ears I trust, have them and like them very much.

As to the Pendulum and the Bose L1, I have tried that combination - three times. The Bose is well known for not having much headroom and will easily clip when the source signal is +4 dBu line level. The work around is to turn down the source signal into the "lower range" of line level, which is what I had to do with the SPS-1. It worked a bit better running through Bose channels 3 & 4, instead of Bose channels 1 & 2.

As to the recording question, the reason I asked is that the SPS-1 can also function well in the studio as a two channel mic preamp, a DI (with the pickup module), an outboard two channel eq, a tracking or mixing stereo headphone amp and/or an outboard two channel stereo line level mixer.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:56 AM

the pamdi is 4" by 6" by just about 2" (including the low profile knobs and sliders)
there is a modest sized 18 volt wall wart. there are 4 bands of eq that don't allow you to change the width of the boost cut but are very musical. the high and the low are shelving type. it is not as thorough in that respect as a pendulum but it is in a much smaller box. i helped solve the issue of seeing the knobs on the floor by putting a small dab of white marker type paint on all the knobs and sliders.
that said, i don't see why you couldn't travel with a pendulum which is only 9" deep. you could find a shallow rack case or get one custom made. i have a pendulum which came with a custom case but it was made deeper for wires to sit in it. i have been contemplating selling it though i haven't made up my mind about that yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification