The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Genz Benz 150LT, Roland AC60, UltraSound AG-50DS4?

Hey friends
I'm looking for a COMPACT rig that will meet the following:
• SMALL! (25 lbs or less)
• 2 channel- 1 voc , 1 acoustic guitar
• decent EQ and reverb- don't need any other FX
• $500 range

Tried the AC60 at GC and it did an okay job. LOVE the size. I have not demoed the Ultrasound or the Genz Benz, but have heard good things on this forum. This little amp will only be used for SMALL venues to bump the sound from "unplugged" a little, and provide minimal vocal support. Was wondering if any of you had experience with either of these rigs. I have a large set up but its a 75 lb, 3 trips to the car, 6 cable set up that is overkill for these small situations.

Any of you find yourself in this situation? If so, what did you end up with?

Thanks in advance!

John
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Your requirements pretty much echo my own, and I bought the Ultrasound AG50DS4. Sweet little amp. When I use a larger PA, I still use my Ultrasound as a stage monitor. It's exactly what I needed, and I got one used but in perfect condition from a fellow AGFer for $375.

cotten
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesweettone View Post
Hey friends
I'm looking for a COMPACT rig that will meet the following:
• SMALL! (25 lbs or less)
• 2 channel- 1 voc , 1 acoustic guitar
• decent EQ and reverb- don't need any other FX
• $500 range

This little amp will only be used for SMALL venues to bump the sound from "unplugged" a little, and provide minimal vocal support.
I think the Ultrasound DS4 would be a good bet for your application and price range. I used to have a Roland AC60 several years ago and quickly traded it for a DS3, which was a huge improvement in terms of the tone quality the amps puts out...although the Roland had a bit more volume/clean headroom, and it's definitely a few pounds lighter than the Ultrasound. I currently have a Genz Benz Shen Pro LT, which is wonderful...so you might want to test out the GB150LT as well.

Another one to check out is the Phil Jones Cub, which has been getting some really good reviews lately...hard to believe a 100-watt amp could weigh only 11.5 pounds!

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/PJWeb11_AG100.aspx
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM

that Phil Jones looks really cool

Has anyone heard one in person? Does it put out enough sound to be worthwhile?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM

i sold an AER acousticube with an 8" speaker to get the Genz 150 LT with the 12" speaker to carry the bottom notes of my 7 string.(sounds good on my 6 string too) It is however more like $700 new and not $500 per your specifications. It is physically a little larger but weighs in at 26 lbs. It is a nice warm sounding amp, the effects are decent though not great. Vocals sound good through it. It might be slightly more than needed in the situation you describe but that is good because it is better to have more power and run it low than push less power more. I even used it in a house concert just for my 7 string to give especially the bass some presence and i sang without a microphone (pa's were kind of frowned on at this house concert series).
I really like this amp though i am now also interested in the more expensive genz compact and or acoustic image chorus for greater power and smaller size
Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 AM

I have a Roland AC-60 and like it well enough. It's main plus is size (as you already know). I can toss it (in its included case) over one shoulder with my axe in the other hand and I'm ready to go. It sounds best on a speaker stand about a foot above the heads of most listeners. Good tone and dispersion in a small room. It also has very flexible I/O (stereo or mono) and multiple footswitch possibilities. I previously had a Crate (not a fan, didn't keep it long) and a Fender Acoustasonic SFX (OK, but too freekin' heavy).
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your help. Just ordered the Ultrasound DS4 based on many happy campers who own one. Might also make a good stage monitor/preamp on occasion. Anxious to play with it.

John
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

I love my Genz Benz 150 LT. It is plenty loud, really warm sounding and I found one used for right around what your looking to spend. It is 1 pound heavier than your weight requirement though!
Alvarez MD 60
Gibson Les Paul
Fender Twin Reverb
1965 Fender Vibrolux reverb
Genz Benz 150 LT.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM

i have an AC-60. In a band setting it cannot keep up. It is difficult to even use it as a monitor. If you don't need copious amounts of clean headroom, it sounds great. If you need the headroom, go for the Genz Benz.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the good input. After weighing a number of posts, the features and costs, and my particular needs, I pulled the trigger on the Ultrasound AG-50DS4.

It arrived today, and I quickly unboxed and plugged in after work tonight. It sounds great so far, tried out a bunch of the effects, and enjoyed the surprising amount of power that this little guy has. Will try plugging in my Line 6 M13 to combine some of the delay, reverb and chorus effects soon and report back.

So far so good!

Last edited by djmcconnell; 03-04-2009 at 09:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification