The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 PM

Default i want a fun synth, any reccomendations?

i've only ever played with a friends microKORG and reason3. roland's sh-32 looks turbo fun. what is the funerist sub $500 synth i can buy?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 PM

I suppose asking the AGF for synth advice is about as useful as asking a cop where you can score some grass >_<
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM

What are you looking for? Analog-modelling, real analog, or something to emulate various instruments including a realistic sounding piano, etc.?

SH-201 would be my pick if you are looking for an analog-modelling synth.

Juno D is a good option too.

Micro X is another to consider.

Or just go for something oldschool and hopefully save a ton of cash that way.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_L_D View Post
What are you looking for? Analog-modelling, real analog, or something to emulate various instruments including a realistic sounding piano, etc.?

SH-201 would be my pick if you are looking for an analog-modelling synth.

Juno D is a good option too.

Micro X is another to consider.

Or just go for something oldschool and hopefully save a ton of cash that way.
if the SH-32 had a sequencer, I would have bought it by now. I am looking for two things:
1)i want to make messed up fun crazy noises, tweak knobs, etc
2)i want to be able to sequence these noises so I can play along with my guitar.

an added bonus would be the ability to make funky D&B laying down in my bed with headphones, but that is less important.

p.s. i know nothing at all about this stuff
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 PM

oh, also, i would be totally kool with a sequencer-less synth that I could hook up to my PC and plug into reason4's sequencer. if stuff like that is even possible
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Cocobologist

Korg X50 is a killer synth for the price. Amazing patches and tone in a small package. Highly recommend...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-28-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Korg X50 is a killer synth for the price. Amazing patches and tone in a small package. Highly recommend...
I should have probably noted that i have limited space and would rather just use the keys from my dipano instead of a boat load of keys on the synth itself. any more keys than come on a microkorg is not going to fit in my apartment thanks though!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 AM

I use the Roland GR20 and have a GK3 pickup mounted very easily to my T5, with a foam two sided adhesive that does not affect the top. I find that for adding voices, piano, strings,etc. it is the easiest to use and the tracking is phenomenally good. A great addition, especially for solo and duo work to keep things interesting. I did not want to be scrolling menues and tweaking parameters. It is pretty much, set up and play.
davidc
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 AM

+1 on the GR-20. Played at a church service yesterday, worked great. I have the pickup mounted to my throwaway Babicz Tribeca and I have a Godin Nylon with the internal Hex pickup. Works great and adds great variety to our guitar-heavy group.

jack
Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
I should have probably noted that i have limited space and would rather just use the keys from my dipano instead of a boat load of keys on the synth itself. any more keys than come on a microkorg is not going to fit in my apartment thanks though!
If you are looking for just modules, there are plenty of those out there as well. You can pick up older Roland (JV1010, JV2020, XV5050, etc.), Yamaha, Alesis, or Korg units used on eBay at a very reasonable cost, then hook up the piano via MIDI to the module. Another option, depending on your sequencing/DAW software would be to go the Soft Synth route. This means the computer software is your synth module. There are a BUNCH of different soft synths out there -- I use Dimension Pro.

If you are looking to go with a guitar synth, the GR20 or GR33 are fine. You can also get a box that converts the hex pickup output of the guitar direct to MIDI so you can drive any other standard synth. Lots of different options out there!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I suppose asking the AGF for synth advice is about as useful as asking a cop where you can score some grass >_<
actually a cop can tell you where the best stuff is. Take my word on that, I know where all the good places are here
'05 Takamine G320 (beach/beater guitar)
'03 Gibson Les Paul standard plus Desert Burst
ESP bass
Yamaha APX-700
Johnson Madolin
Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Guitar players answer: Guitar Synth

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification