The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Anyone using Schertler MAG6 pickup with S-mic?

I was reading a Sound on Sound review and got intrigued. So I was wondering if anyone has experience with this pickup.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...-magnetico-ag6
Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-27-2017, 05:31 PM

Try this: https://youtu.be/cvTX-XlsPeU
Martin J40
Old 12-27-2017, 05:57 PM

My bandmate just got one and she totally loves it, we both think its a big upgrade over her previous Shadow magnetic. We also looked at the LR Baggs M80 but the mic was a big selling point but more so was the fact it's lighter. I thought the Schertler sounded better too. Adding the S-mic is mostly subtle but definitely worth it, it takes a surprisingly decent start tone and just makes it more pleasant.
It hasn't been gigged yet, but we are more than happy with it in the rehearsal space.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Andy and Emmsone. The guy doing the demo sure is funny! Lots to listen to.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-28-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
Thanks Andy and Emmsone. The guy doing the demo sure is funny! Lots to listen to.

He is funny and has a growing collection of reviews of guitar and PA gear - I think he has a relationship with German gear dealers Thomman - a kind of European Sweetwater
Martin J40
Old 12-28-2017, 09:33 AM

I've had this set up for awhile but don't use it as a primary. While I really like Schertler amps, not a fan of the pickup/mic. Without the mic it's way too electric sounding for an acoustic pickup. With the mic it's better and the only way to go but still not as good as I would expect for a mag/mic combination (totally subjective view of course). I was also disappointed that I had to send the magnetic pickup back to Switzerland for replacement when it failed. Good customer service but it took a long time.

You might consider what you're going to run this rig into. DTAR Solstice is only available used, Grace Felix is expensive, and mixing boards don't offer much in the way of acoustic guitar EQ.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification