The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Default Amplification for small group

Hello!
A former student of mine just got the chance to form a group with 2 friends (one guitar and 2 voices; they will also use some percussion: egg shaker, tambourine) and asked me to help them searching for good solutions for them to play in a restaurant where the mother of one of them works.

I found these deals. What would you prefer?

Yamaha DXR 10 - 430
Yamaha DXR 8 - 390
Yamaha DBR 10 - 320
Alto Trouper - 250
Alto TS210 - 250
Kustom PA3X6BT - 190
Kustom PA2X6BT - 150

Thank you!

Last edited by Pecx; 12-16-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Alto

Alto Trouper: $199
+
Alto TS212S sub: $399

I have had some pricey PAs and AMPS through. This one competes favorably at a fraction (I have two Troupers and the 12" sub). I didn't expect much at this cost. I have been pleasantly surprised. I had a JBL Eon One in the house at the same time as this system and was able to A/B. I quickly sold the JBL.

Brent
Old 12-15-2017, 12:37 PM

One Alto ts212 is 1000 watts and can play any restaurant by itself. Put it on a stand behind them. Then buy a Behringer 1202fx for $100 new and use with it.

The Alto TS212's replaced my JBL's. I use two of them when I play. They are loud.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:29 AM

Thank you for your replies!

The sub option is not possible because they are not able to give that kind of money. They have between 18 and 20 years old, and +-400 is what they can give.

I added more options that they found by themselves.
I hope to hear your opinions.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Given their financial limitations I would still recommend the Alto Trouper. Even one will give them a decent sound and leave space in the budget for a couple mics and a small mixer.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Definitely. But they already have a 2nd hand mixer and the two girls have their own mics, so there's no need to get any of those.

What do you think is the best option, given the fact that they could give 430, max, for the DXR10.
And, of course, they would be glad if they could give less, for what can be a good option for the money.

Thank you!
Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 AM

Default Yamaha DBR

I'm a huge booster for the DBR10. I have two and often just use one with a small mixer. Outstanding speaker for acoustic shows. I've done 250 people in a large room with 2 and noisy pubs with just 1. Loads of volume, headroom and push plus lightweight at 22 ish pounds. Great dsp built in and very feedback resistant. Can't go wrong and I see no need to go up the Yamaha line as all you will get is higher cost and more weight. For what you are doing the DBR is perfect

My 2 cents

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovekings View Post
I'm a huge booster for the DBR10. I have two and often just use one with a small mixer. Outstanding speaker for acoustic shows. I've done 250 people in a large room with 2 and noisy pubs with just 1. Loads of volume, headroom and push plus lightweight at 22 ish pounds. Great dsp built in and very feedback resistant. Can't go wrong and I see no need to go up the Yamaha line as all you will get is higher cost and more weight. For what you are doing the DBR is perfect

My 2 cents
I have DBR's, a 10" and two 12". Absolutely no complaints and no regrets.

I bought one of these for a week long camping/music trip. I didn't want to take my good gear, I was pleased with how it worked, especially for a budget price point speaker.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger/Vari-V2212-600W-12-Inch-Two-Way-Class-D-Loudspeaker-1443624090825.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EA IaIQobChMIrsnqwpaR2AIVj6DsCh0T2A2sEAQYAyABEgKXmvD_ BwE&kwid=productads-adid^172488555108-device^c-plaid^139037858187-sku^1443624090825@ADL4GC-adType^PLA
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Those are great news!
The DBR is one of the speakers that they were able to test. No other speakers of the list were available at the store. They also got the chance to try the QSC K8.2.
They told me they were amazed by the QSC... Now they ask me for advise (whether is best to give 600 instead of the 450 that they were willing to spend).
Can you please help me? I never tried the QSC K8.2, so I can't help them.
Thank you so much.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Right tool for the job

I've heard the K8.2. Great speaker. Can't go wrong BUT. The DBR 10 is much cheaper, much lighter and also very good and reliable. For what they are doing it will be totally sufficient. Also has a 10 inch speaker which should in theory offer a little more bass response. Can't go wrongs with either one do I vote with Dbr - lighter and cheaper

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 12-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovekings View Post

My 2 cents
Great cover of "Thinking Out Loud," by the way!
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Another vote for the Trouper. They list for 199.95 and can often be found for 159.95.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Thank you so much for your opinions.

The Trouper is better than the DBR10?
The group can purchase any of those (though they can't test the Trouper), so which is the best option (quality wise)?

Thank you!
Old 12-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
Thank you so much for your opinions.

The Trouper is better than the DBR10?
The group can purchase any of those (though they can't test the Trouper), so which is the best option (quality wise)?

Thank you!
I'm sure th DBR 10 is good quality but...you can buy two Alto Troupers on sale for the price of a DBR 10 and if you ever need more volume and coverage, you got it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 AM

Most of the options given here are viable and worth considering. As ever it comes down to intended use, budget and durability over time.

I use QSC K10's and 8's in various places. I have not tried the new K8.2 but I believe it is a little louder and perhaps smoother. Great option for smallish spaces where wide dispersal is needed. The K's are very reliable and durable and sound great.

Alto trouper is likely a decent speaker/mini PA/Busking unit, small light and versatile. Maybe not as great longer term. I have not tried personally.

The Yammie DBR's are good speakers. I have friends that use 8's and 10's in a band and duo setting a couple of times a week and have done for over a year. Good sound and reliable.

So it's cost/usage vs sound vs reliability. QSC is probably the best... but dear .. Yam great mid range option, either 10's or 8's depending on use with the Alto coming in behind. 10's will give a little better bottom end if that matters.

All will do the job but there's always a trade off of sorts. You can always spend more too.. cough...

Kris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification