The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Default K&K and Anthem?

I’m wondering is anyone has attempted to pair and Anthem or Anthem SL with the K&K Bridge Plate Pickup? Since the Anthem uses the mic for the high and mid frequencies, I’m curious if it would pair well with the K&K. The Tru mic would need to move from under the saddle to the back of the bridge plate.

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Are you wanting to substitute the Tru Mic with the K&K or add it as a third-source to the Anthem? I'm not sure I see an advantage as you would probably assign the highs to the K&K as its low-end wouldn't be more stable than the Element's but it's highs probably wouldn't be as true as the Tru Mic's.

Then again, Mike Dawes uses the K&K Trinity (I think) combined with the Dimarzio Black Angel, so it's not entirely unheard of, it just seems like a lot to manage outboard, not mention one system is active and the other passive.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Hi Erik

I was thinking of substituting the K&K for the element pickup in the Anthem. Leave the Tru mic for the highs and mids. I have some solutions for outboard gear, but I'm interested in a better on-board solution for one guitar that I use out at open stage events.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi Erik

I was thinking of substituting the K&K for the element pickup in the Anthem. Leave the Tru mic for the highs and mids. I have some solutions for outboard gear, but I'm interested in a better on-board solution for one guitar that I use out at open stage events.
Dave, I gotta commend your obsession and commitment to developing new live-sound solutions. I have my doubts about how well a K&K would replace the Element but that's unverified. I don't care for the Element and definitely prefer the K&K but the reason the Element is in that system is that it will provide a more stable low-end than a SBT can. I think if I wanted a similar solution to the Anthem but customized, I might buy a dual source like the Baggs Dual Source or K&K Trinity and add some customizations. The Anthem is a dual source simplified to function as a single source (that's become Baggs' thing). I'm too lazy to go dual source but if I did, I might copy some of these options.

David Wilcox: Uses a Sunrise for bass tones, a RMC hex-piezo for highs, an internal and external mic EQ'd to mostly provide highs and air. Sounds nice.

Mike Dawes: Uses a K&K Trinity (Pure Mini & Mic) with a Dimarzio Black Angel for the lows and string harmonics

Phil Keaggy: Uses the old Baggs Micro Duet Classic (LB6 and mic). It's simple but I love the LB6 and keep thinking about approximating this with the Baggs Dual Source but again, I decide against it due to laziness and a desire to have very little in my guitar.

Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Thank Erik! Great examples! The thing I like about the Baggs Anthem is the mixing, EQ and Tru Mic. I hate the Element. But I get what you mean about the the stable low end. I’m not so motivated as to buy an Anthem and chop it up at the moment. So, I thought I would ask. Cheers!
Old 12-26-2017, 12:05 PM

The Anthem Tru-Mic sits where the K&K sensors would sit at the front of the bridgeplate, so I can't see how this could work.....???
Old 12-26-2017, 12:18 PM

A combination that I believe is favoured by Newton Faulkner is the (18v) D-Tar Wavelength with a Baggs Tru-Mic. The D-tar system providing a high headroom non quacky bottom end, and the Tru-Mic filling in the mids and highs.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Thank Erik! Great examples! The thing I like about the Baggs Anthem is the mixing, EQ and Tru Mic. I hate the Element. But I get what you mean about the the stable low end. I’m not so motivated as to buy an Anthem and chop it up at the moment. So, I thought I would ask. Cheers!
I totally sympathize. I'm curious if the Lyric could be Frankenstein's in a similar (but simpler) manner. I envision it blended with a K&K Trinity or the K&K Puremix or Double-Helix. I think those could fill-in the hollowness I've always perceived with the Lyric and the Lyric would provide a very stable "air" that isn't common.

Please give it a shot and let us know how it goes
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 12-26-2017, 01:19 PM

FWIW, rschultz combined Pure Mini and Lyric systems way back in 2013.

I seem to recall that someone has also substituted the Pure Mini for the Element in an Anthem SL system. Both setups would require some compromise on the positioning of the True Mic or Pure Mini transducers, but its been done.

My own "discovery" has been that the little iRig Acoustic Stage mic is easier to blend with. The downside is having three cables coming out of the little preamp/blender affixed to one's guitar strap or belt. Its a little unwieldy for live use and more useful for recording.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
A combination that I believe is favoured by Newton Faulkner is the (18v) D-Tar Wavelength with a Baggs Tru-Mic. The D-tar system providing a high headroom non quacky bottom end, and the Tru-Mic filling in the mids and highs.
I'm having this same system installed in my OM-42 in the next week or two, feeding into a D-tar Solstice for EQ'ing and blending - essentially it's an Anthem on steroids.....
Old 12-27-2017, 08:42 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...2B+K%26amp%3BK

Here's the Anthem + K&K thread which I was looking for. It started in Nov. of 2014. As you can see, rschultz got into a serious project here.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Here's another old thread (starting in Dec. 2013) about someone (a player/builder) successfully substituting a Pure Mini for the Element in a full Anthem system.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...2B+K%26amp%3BK

My thought on this would be to first try a Pure Mini with the iRig Acoustic Stage system's little clip-on mic. You could blend in a little "air" from the mic, and the iRig preamp's feedback zapper would work to make the blended signal less feedback prone. (Its my understanding that the feedback zapper effects the entire blended signal, not just the mic signal.)

At the very least, it would be an interesting experiment.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Default K&K and Anthem?

Quote:
I'm having this same system installed in my OM-42 in the next week or two, feeding into a D-tar Solstice for EQ'ing and blending - essentially it's an Anthem on steroids.....

Hi Andy,

I’ve used the D-TAR Wavelength Dual Source system with K&K in the past and it worked very well. Slightly different than what you’re describing. I’ve decided to go that route again because I know it works. Who does your D-TAR-Lyric hybrid install? I would consider that for a future project.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Hi Andy,

I’ve used the D-TAR Wavelength Dual Source system with K&K in the past and it worked very well. Slightly different than what you’re describing. I’ve decided to go that route again because I know it works. Who does your D-TAR-Lyric hybrid install? I would consider that for a future project.
It's to be installed by well known UK luthier Nick Benjamin - (Nick builds the guitars that Newton Faulkner uses and developed this hybrid system for Newton's live performances).
Old 12-28-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
It's to be installed by well known UK luthier Nick Benjamin - (Nick builds the guitars that Newton Faulkner uses and developed this hybrid system for Newton's live performances).

Very good. Does he provide any information online about how he does he install? Would you mind relating some of the info? For instance?

1. Placement of the TruMic?
2. How he wires in the TruMic to the DTAR?
3. Which controls he uses!

Thank you

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification