The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Default Multi-effect pedal for electric guitar on a piezzo equipped acoustic?

I'm a bit lost here - I know that multi-effect pedals that are generally built for electric guitars can work on electro-acoustic guitars, too, but is it recommended? More specifically, I have an opportunity to get cheap Korg AX3A that is modelling processor specifically built for acoustic guitar, and also more expensive Line 6 POD HD500 for an electric guitar (and I've seen some videos of people using it with acoustic guitar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stg_npwC3M4 ). What would you choose? Cheaper processor specifically built for acoustic, or more "advanced" general multi-effect unit?

Does the "mic & body effects" on a Korg unit matters, and will I get better sound with that unit because of that, or can I go safe with Line 6 as well? The money is not the issue here, but I can't get both of that units and test it, I need to select only one, so I'm looking for your opinions on the matter!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 AM

I'm not familiar with the Korg - but are you trying to get better ACOUSTIC sound out of your guitar? That's what the Korg's primary function is, while adding a little reverb or delay.
Or do you want EFFECTS on your guitar? That's what the HD500 will do.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 AM

If the HD500 allowed you to load IR's like the Helix does I'd say use it and not worry about the lacking 'body res' feature because piezo signals run through a good IR of an acoustic guitar sound great.

I picked up a Fishman Spectrum for $200 and it is well worth it to me to cover the piezo taming. So far the only effects I use are reverb and delay and have toyed with chorus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification