The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 AM

Default Pickup Comparison - SD Magmic & Skysonic Pro-1 (Recordings)

Hi friends,

A few years back, I damaged the endpin jack on my Seymour Duncan Magmic pickup, rendering it unusable. It remained in this condition untill yesterday when I finally got a hold of a replacement jack and soldered it on. Works like a charm!

I have been using the 3-source Skysonic Pro-1 pickup for about a year and am quite happy with it. I decided to A-B it against the Magmic to give everyone on the forum an idea of how the two pickups compare, sonically. They both sound quite good. The recordings are completely dry, with a slight volume boost for the Magmic to make the volumes of the two pickups match. Also, I should mention, the height of the pole pieces on both pickups is a bit out of whack. This is the reason some strings sound quiet compared the others.

The first test is between the Magmic with the set mic at about 75% - and the Pro-1 with Mag and Mic set at 100% (SBT at 0%)

All clips begin with the Magmic.

The second test is the exact same except the SBT on the Pro-1 is blended in at 100% along with the mic and mag.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification