The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 AM

Default Highlander IP-2 combine with Sunrise Pickup problems

I have a guitar equipped with Highlander IP-2 and sunrise pickup with a stereo output. When they combine together with Grace Felix (I've tried with the L.R.Baggs Mixpro too, but same result), the sunrise pickup which require more gain will have some hiss noise in the signal. Both pickup work fine alone (Even with the max gain). Could I ask is there any solution for eliminate the hiss noise?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
I have a guitar equipped with Highlander IP-2 and sunrise pickup with a stereo output. When they combine together with Grace Felix (I've tried with the L.R.Baggs Mixpro too, but same result), the sunrise pickup which require more gain will have some hiss noise in the signal. Both pickup work fine alone (Even with the max gain). Could I ask is there any solution for eliminate the hiss noise?
With the IP-2, you need to connect the Sunrise via a male mini-TRS jack (not a male mini-TS jack) internally wired to tip and ground of that male jack. Are you doing this?

Last edited by sdelsolray; 10-22-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Yes, I do use mini TRS jack
Old 10-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I have no idea then why you are getting hiss with the Sunrise, other than (i) defective IP preamp/wiring or (ii) something to do with the common ground shared by the two sources. Obviously, you should contact Highlander and get their thoughts.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 AM

i don't know if my experience is helpful.
i had a problem with having a sunrise connected to an active shadow pickup on my Dean 7 string. there was crosstalk between the two lines which was only resolved when my tech put an internal pre amp in the guitar so both signals were active.
don't know if your problem is related but something to assess perhaps.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I have no idea then why you are getting hiss with the Sunrise, other than (i) defective IP preamp/wiring or (ii) something to do with the common ground shared by the two sources. Obviously, you should contact Highlander and get their thoughts.
Thanks for your reply. I hope the common ground is the problem. I'm planning to get a Radial stagebug SB6 so that it can ground lift both channel to purify both signal. I've contacted Highlander and they also have no idea of that. They claimed that defective IP-2 usually will not work for both. They said I can send it back to them and get a new one. However, I don't think that's the problem as both pickup can work fine individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
i don't know if my experience is helpful.
i had a problem with having a sunrise connected to an active shadow pickup on my Dean 7 string. there was crosstalk between the two lines which was only resolved when my tech put an internal pre amp in the guitar so both signals were active.
don't know if your problem is related but something to assess perhaps.
Thanks for your reply. That's what I worry about. If that's really related to crosstalk problem, I guess the only solution is to put the preamp inside the guitar. But the preamp of Sunrise is quite heavy. I notice that there is a buffer Jack from L.R.Baggs that can deal with the crosstalk problems. However, it seems quite difficult to work out myself...
Old 10-23-2017, 10:03 AM

yeh the preamp was i think something made special by sunrise that was left over from someone elses project.....not the heavy sunrise box.
but i would think that it wouldn't have to be that particular preamp but any preamp that would make the line active.
it definitely fixed my crosstalk problem

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification