The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Help With An Archtop

Hi Everyone,

So, I may get accused of blasphemy, but I'm needing help getting my old Gibson L7 to sound the way I want it. I play in a country band, mostly strumming, and I just can get more of the open sound that I'm used to with my flattops. I know I'll never get it to be a flattop, but I would like to get a bit closer if I can.

Now, I know the easiest solution is to just use a guitar that fits, but this guitar has a lot of sentimental value as it belonged to my Grandfather, and I can't help but feel a piece of him up there with me when I play it.

Currently I have a K&K Definity pickup under the saddle, and I use a Zoom A3 to help model a little bit. Before I drop another few hundred on it, I wanted to get the opinion of people who know more than me. Do you think that getting a floating pickup would help, or does anyone have a better suggestion. I've been watching videos, but everyone is demonstrating their archtops (appropriately) on jazz songs. I can't find anything that really points me down the right road, and honestly, there may not even be a road that gets me where I want to be.

My only caveat is that I don't want anything that I have to alter the guitar in order to use, ie. drilling or routing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Anything you do to your L7 will be more costly and less effective than just getting an inexpensive flat top.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM

The floating pickup is going to put you into a more electric, jazz tone area.

I want to help, but I also want to tell you to embrace that wonderful guitar for what it is, too.

I think the pickup you're using is fine. A string choice might help--if I knew specifically what the tone has/lacks now that you want to get...is it too strident? Too much mids, not enough bass? Not enough sustain? And keep in mind, you might be trying to work against what that guitar is meant to do...but I'd also say, an L7 is a versatile, great sounding instrument for a variety of styles...

Keep in mind too, a lot of great country music was strummed and picked on archtops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Try D'Addario Pure Steel 13-53 strings. I use them on my archtop after trying several types and I love these for an archtop. I have a floating humbucker at the neck only but can get tones from across a wide spectrum of guitars including a Fender Tele, Gibson SG, and other jazz boxes as well.
If you are using a K&K undersaddle you are missing most of the tones that an archtop can produce IMHO. Add a floating humbucker at the neck and add a second volume on board for keeping a good balance between that and the K&K. You may end up with a lot of variety and awesome tone. I do.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll slap a floating pickup on it at some point just to see what I can do with it. I appreciate the help!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitear_Leland View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll slap a floating pickup on it at some point just to see what I can do with it. I appreciate the help!
If you're looking for a more 'open' sound, as in the sound you get when you're NOT plugged in, a magnetic pickup is the WRONG choice.

The magnetic may give you something that is easier to work with in your particular aural concept, but not going by your description.

If you're really looking for a more open sound as in 'airy, acoustic', then a microphone should be considered, and there's a perfect unit out there that uses a suction cup: Meyer's Pickups.

Here's a demo by a Django style player doing strumming & single note, acoustic and plugged in for comparison.

https://www.myerspickups.com/see-in-.../15/paul-davis

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification