The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Any experience with the NS-62? These are beautiful guitars in both looks and sound. I only wish they came with maple necks to match the body...
The only thing I don't like about my 62 is it lacks bass.
I narrowed the neck and nut to 1 3/4 and moved the low E slot closer to the edge for thumb wrap chords. I think there are some who would suggest that I be shot for that.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
take that "not a true classical sound" with a grain of salt.
don't take it with a grain of salt... but do take it for what it is. The Taylors don't sound or play like a "true classical," but that can be either a good or a bad thing depending on your criteria. I've owned 3 or 4 nylon string guitars, all but one with a traditional classical neck. I loved the sound but couldn't get used to playing the classical neck so they went bye bye. The other, my current - a Kenny Hill Fingerstyle - has a crossover neck - 1 7/8 wide with slight radius like the Taylor. It doesn't play like a classical, but I don't want it too. The same is true about the sound. The Taylor is not a traditional classical sound. If that is what you are looking for, look elsewhere, probably at one of the classical companies that also build a crossover as it will be closer to a "true classical sound." If, on the other hand, you're looking for a nylon string with a slightly different, more modern flavor, then you wouldn't be happy with "the true classical sound" and may be thrilled with a Taylor.
that's me on guitar
Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
don't take it with a grain of salt... but do take it for what it is. .
precisely....

Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM

My "grain of salt" recommendation was meant to be in reference to the oft heard criticism of the NS guitars: "they don't sound like a true classical". That criticism, in my opinion, should be taken with the appropriate amount of common sense skepticism - the grain of salt - and the potential buyer should follow his own criteria. If you like the guitar, and it inspires you to play, what difference does it make what it is not?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
My "grain of salt" recommendation was meant to be in reference to the oft heard criticism of the NS guitars: "they don't sound like a true classical". That criticism, in my opinion, should be taken with the appropriate amount of common sense skepticism - the grain of salt - and the potential buyer should follow his own criteria. If you like the guitar, and it inspires you to play, what difference does it make what it is not?
To me the grain of salt comment has always meant give it very little consideration.

We guitar players tend to want the "next best thing" all the time. I think it's pretty important if you are in the market for a guitar in the price point of the NS series to give the 'true' classicals and crossovers (if that's what your interested in) by builders who do this exclusively equal consideration. I'd hate to see someone opt for an NS, then find out how much different another builder's guitar MIGHT be later on, only to trade in/trade up and lose their keister.

Certainly the buyer should follow their heart, but only after giving all options proper and equal consideration, which to me means more than a grain of salt on each side.

Last edited by fitness1; 04-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
To me the grain of salt comment has always meant give it very little consideration.
Precisely! My opinion is that the automatic comment "not a true classical guitar" should be given very little consideration.

Quote:
... 'true' classicals and crossovers (if that's what your interested in)...
That caveat is welcomed because I believe that there is an implicit value judgement in the "not a true" statement - a judgement which asserts criteria that may not be relevant. The NS is not a classical guitar by traditional standards, for sure - but isn't that the whole point of the design?

Now I feel like I am belaboring, so I guess that's enough on the digression for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical