The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 08:36 PM

Default When to call it quits on a guitar

Is it time to get rid of a guitar and just say I’m not compatible with it?

I use my 12 fret guitar mainly for finger style and tonight I was strumming on it got really frustrating. The 12 fret has soft V with almost no shoulder and whenever I fret an A I have to work hard to pull my palm off the lower part of the neck while still playing with my thumb over the top, and I can’t fret an Asus2 with my index and middle fingers with my thumb over the top.

I guess I’m asking when to call it quits on a guitar you own and sell it? I don’t have this problem with my Eastman. I’m heavily bonded with my E20OM and if I’m choosing a guitar based on playability, it’s that one 100% of the time.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:44 PM

I've long felt that life is too short to struggle with a guitar that doesn't suit you, and neck carve is one of the biggest dealbreakers for me.

There's no time period you have to adhere to; let it go whenever you're ready to hassle with selling it.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Well since I could never thumb over even a thin neck electrics I say move on, you hate to lose an asset I wish I had.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-24-2023, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

From your explanation I think it's time to move on. First you need to identify what you desire in a neck for your next guitar. Then move on.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-24-2023, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I can't use my screwdriver to drive a nail, should I get rid of it?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-24-2023, 08:01 AM

Im not so quick to sell of an instrument , I like being able to play different
sizes, neck contours , shapes and brands ( of quality ) and get use to them - i believe it makes me a better player.
I own a 12 fret Dread from a Small but talented luthier -thats my favorite guitar -yes the fingerboard is a bit wide -
but the sound that monster has is amazing - and sometimes I want a bit more space -especially when i fingerstyle -

Good luck -on your decision

Old 03-24-2023, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have a guitar that I only play fingerstyle in dropped tunings on. Strumming just doesn’t maximize what the guitar excels at. But none of my other guitars sound quite the same. So, I keep it and enjoy it for what it brings to the table. You might try Nashville strings/tuning on it to mix things up a bit. If you are really done with it, then I’d sell it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-24-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCary View Post
Is it time to get rid of a guitar and just say I’m not compatible with it?
yep

I've had a few that I've never felt fit my right hand right.

They had to go.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Before you pull the plug, do you enjoy your playing enough that if there are/were “workarounds” of partial chords rather the the full chords that are frustrating you? I’ve had some reconstructive surgery on my fretting hand and while I no longer get the full sound, the silver lining is a given chord is only a fraction of the tune, and I still enjoy the totality. And I can appreciate your OM bond, having their Swiss top E6 OM TC. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Not knowing if you a beginner or a pro all I can suggest is getting a second opinion from a player who maybe knows more about guitars than you.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:57 AM

Sometimes a guitar will expose an aspect of my technique that isn’t top notch, and learning to play that guitar well helps me improve as a player.

I can’t guess from what you have written whether your guitar is one that might help you, or whether it is just not a good match for you. If there is someone you could consult about this (a fellow player or a teacher), get some input from them before you sell.

I will also acknowledge that it can be difficult to shake the feeling of frustration once it takes hold, which might imply hat it is time to sell it and move on.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCary View Post

I use my 12 fret guitar mainly for finger style and tonight I was strumming on it got really frustrating. The 12 fret has soft V with almost no shoulder and whenever I fret an A I have to work hard to pull my palm off the lower part of the neck while still playing with my thumb over the top, and I canÂ’t fret an Asus2 with my index and middle fingers with my thumb over the top.
I confess I'm having a hard time visualizing this problem. What has this got to do with strumming as opposed to fingerstyle? A chord is a chord. What am I missing? First position A to A sus2 is lifting one finger, no?.

A few suggestions.

If this is so much easier on one guitar, then the features of that guitar are your friend. Some guitar necks just fit our hands better.

New chords and chord transitions take practice. If I'd gotten rid of a guitar every time I had a hard time with chords, I wouldn't have any guitars.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:19 AM

You will play it less often…

I make a Spring clearance every year
since at least one guitar had been played
less often during the cold season…

Last edited by mawmow; 03-25-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:21 AM

Sounds like irreconcilable differences, to me and I would let it go. There a reason why there’s different neck shapes, and playing music is supposed to be a pleasure, not a frusturation. It’s better for a guitar to be played, and there are many a fan of the soft “v”. It will work out better for both of you.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I confess I'm having a hard time visualizing this problem. What has this got to do with strumming as opposed to fingerstyle? A chord is a chord. What am I missing? First position A to A sus2 is lifting one finger, no?.

A few suggestions.

If this is so much easier on one guitar, then the features of that guitar are your friend. Some guitar necks just fit our hands better.

New chords and chord transitions take practice. If I'd gotten rid of a guitar every time I had a hard time with chords, I wouldn't have any guitars.
When I play fingerstyle there is no need for me to mute the low E with my thumb. fingerstyle, I will fret it the same way BUT my thumb is in a position to give my palm and fingers more slack. When strumming my immediate inclination is to mute unwanted strings with my thumb or fingers. With the thumb in particular, this slides my hand to the top of the neck giving my palm and fingers less slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic Squirrel View Post
Before you pull the plug, do you enjoy your playing enough that if there are/were “workarounds” of partial chords rather the the full chords that are frustrating you? I’ve had some reconstructive surgery on my fretting hand and while I no longer get the full sound, the silver lining is a given chord is only a fraction of the tune, and I still enjoy the totality. And I can appreciate your OM bond, having their Swiss top E6 OM TC. Good luck with your decision.
I can bar the A and I can fret other chords with different fingers to make it work. Takes some thinking to get it done, but I can do it. I also hate how the perfectly I have to bar an F to get it to not buzz. Thats probably because the nut is cut too high though. Not the case on my Eastman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion