The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 10:09 AM

Default Tonal Differences in Larrivee Gloss vs. Satin Finishes?

I'm considering buying a Larrivee OMV-style guitar and am looking at 40-series with the satin finish, or perhaps going with a 44 series with gloss finish. Does anyone have insights/experience with Larrivee gloss AND satin finished guitars, and if so are there any potential tonal differences the finish might impart on the guitar? Or, is this really just a visual and "feel" preference? (I like both finishes). Thanks!
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 03-23-2023, 10:15 AM

Ron, I’ve owned several examples of both, and as much as I’d like to say that the satin ones sound better, the only discernible difference between them is that there can be a brushing noise with the satin models. Otherwise there’s no difference that I can tell.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-23-2023, 11:39 AM

I'd be highly impressed if anyone could actually hear the difference a finish might make.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Ron, I’ve owned several examples of both, and as much as I’d like to say that the satin ones sound better, the only discernible difference between them is that there can be a brushing noise with the satin models. Otherwise there’s no difference that I can tell.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade. Yes, that makes total sense. I appreciate the response!
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 03-23-2023, 12:22 PM

Default a thought

I suggest there's no way to tell. No two guitars sound the same. Two guitars with the same finish will sound different.

Pick the finish that pleases. All good.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:13 PM

I had two similar builds of Larrivee L body guitars. The 09 is gloss but sounds much more loud and open than the Satin finished model I had. They both were rosewood back and sides. I kept the glossy 09 and sold the other.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I have had the great pleasure of Visiting the Larrivee Factory on several occasions. All of the Larrivees, Jean, John Jr. & Matt are so very sincere about their love for making excellent guitars.

I asked John Jr. a few years back, what he thought the sound difference between Satin and Gloss finishes were.
His response " Satin usually has a more woody sound. Gloss a little bit more on the glassy side."

Once I asked Jean what he thought was the best part of his guitars...What was the part that attributed the most to Larrivee's great sound.
His answer was short and sweet. With a big smile on his face he said "It's the Wood" I am sure that most of us already know the great Links he takes to procure good wood.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:34 PM

I’ve got both, I can’t hear a difference.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:45 PM

I've owned at least 10 Larrivees through the years and IMHO I've always thought that the Larrivee satins sounder more open and woody. The gloss eventually get there with time.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:05 PM

I have three Satin finish Larrivees: LV03 12 string w/mahogany top; flamed maple parlor; LSV03 moonwood/walnut. They are all keepers.

I’ve played plenty of gloss finish Larrivees but don’t own one. I was drawn to the satin finish because of the wood and the simplicity and functionality of the workmanship. The LV03 and Parlor are 18 and 19 years old and show no wear and tear on the finish. I expect the same from the LSV03 in the coming years.

I also own 4 other gloss finish guitars including 3 Martins and an Alvarez. Also all are keepers but I find the Larrivee satin finish to be unparalleled.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:28 PM

Duplicate post removed

Last edited by Teherie; 03-23-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! Some great points to consider.
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 03-23-2023, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I have a 40 series (satin finish) 000-40. Sounds great. Can’t say if there’s a sonic difference in high gloss Larrivees, but in my experience with some Eastman guitars and mandolins there is a noticeable difference in favor of satin/matte. I chose two Eastman MD300 series (satin) over MD500 series (gloss) and a satin, open-pore AC108ce over the 308 (gloss) specifically because of the open, airy, woody tone. In the case of these instruments the glossy models sounded thin and tight. My high gloss Martin dreads on the other hand sound great. No surprise if Larrivee, too, does it right.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 04-18-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
I'm considering buying a Larrivee OMV-style guitar and am looking at 40-series with the satin finish, or perhaps going with a 44 series with gloss finish. Does anyone have insights/experience with Larrivee gloss AND satin finished guitars, and if so are there any potential tonal differences the finish might impart on the guitar? Or, is this really just a visual and "feel" preference? (I like both finishes). Thanks!
In my experience, I have absolutely noticed differences between gloss and satin finishes. I'd describe gloss as giving the guitar a 'glassy' tone while satin I'd describe as a more 'woody' tone. People saying there is no difference aren't correct, sorry. You're modifying the wood quite a bit. Here's a video of two different guitars with the same tonewoods and bracing, the main difference being the types of finished used. (This guitar's maker's website also confirms that finish affects tone).

Old 03-23-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaEntendu View Post
In my experience, I have absolutely noticed differences between gloss and satin finishes. I'd describe gloss as giving the guitar a 'glassy' tone while satin I'd describe as a more 'woody' tone. People saying there is no difference aren't correct, sorry. You're modifying the wood quite a bit. Here's a video of two different guitars with the same tonewoods and bracing, the main difference being the types of finished used. (This guitar's maker's website also confirms that finish affects tone).

My response was with regards to Larrivee guitars gloss vs matte finish.

I have several of both, the latest one a custom run which is matte finish, let me clue others in on something here, that now matte finish is FIRST sprayed gloss, then matte.

Someone please explain to me how it can sound different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion