The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Of course it is even better to repair nice things - totally agree! My point was that even cheap stuff should be taken good care of. About shoes... unfortunately it is rare for a shoe to be re-soled nowadays - had a nice pair of Loake that I had re-soled 5 times before I “retired” them. Still miss them
Old 02-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murj View Post
Hi Everyone, first post. I hope I do it all correctly.

I have a pretty nice Brazilian classical or flamenco guitar, beautiful inlay on the back, solid top, but three problems. Inlay has crinkled possibly with cold or dryness. 1)Laminate has lifted from one corner of the back. 2)Where the laminate has lifted, the (3)back has separated from the side (I'm not sure the photo shows that very well). There is some epoxy over the spot where the laminate peeled off, but the epoxy did not repair the separation. Plays and sounds great, although I don't know much about nylon string guitars. It doesn't have a ton of volume, but I think that might be pretty normal. Looks great from the front. I enjoy playing it, but it would be nice to fix it up. Not sure it is worth a trip to the Luthier. It is a Di Giorgio Classical from I think 1979. Is it worth taking it to a Luthier? Any ideas on how to improve it?
I agree with Wade Hampton in terms of what to repair and what to overlook.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Wade, that's a bad analogy for a couple of reasons. First, the cost of an oil change is never going to exceed the value of a car that still runs. Second, the person driving that beater may be broke not have the money to replace it with something better. In this case, the cost of the repairs is clearly going to exceed the value of the guitar. If a person is so broke than he can't afford to replace a guitar with a value of around $100 or less, it would be irresponsible for anyone to encourage that person to throw his limited funds into costly repairs.

The point that Wade made, albeit with a less than ideal analogy, is one with which I agree.

There is the market value and the value to the owner. I have an old Ecuadorian classical guitar that I don’t think it would fetch more than $50 on eBay but I was willing to pay $200 to have it repaired 24 years ago and have never regretted it.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 AM

Good example Herb -we should not only act based on what makes sense from a business case point of view

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brazilian, damage, nylon acoustic, repair