The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2023, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
OP actually UNDERestimated. Their site:
https://www.calton-cases.com/shop/ac...-guitar-cases/

Shows acoustic cases STARTING at $1500!
This thread was started in 2017 and only recently revived. According to the OP, the price of an acoustic guitar case was $1k in 2017—it’s $1.5k now. Hence my comment (and surprise) that prices for Calton cases have increased 50% since 2017.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:20 PM

I have a Calton case that I bought used on Reverb a few years ago for $800 shipped back when the going rate was $1,200 or $1,300 new. Well, the case was technically used, but had never actually been used for anything other than getting a new guitar home from the shop one time, and it didn't have a scratch on it.

I love it. It's a tiny bit heavy, sure, but nothing crazy. I don't worry about my guitar getting hurt while it's in there though. I have no regrets about buying it. I'm considering buying another, but the price increase has me thinking twice. I'll probably bite the bullet one of these days though, unless another used one turns up.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is the fact that it seals better than most cases. At least any other cases I've tried. I use Humipacks, and I have to change them much less frequently in my Calton than in my other cases. I think that's a huge benefit for anyone in a low or high humidity environment. Maybe other premium cases are similar in that regard though, I don't know.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is the fact that it seals better than most cases. At least any other cases I've tried. I use Humipacks, and I have to change them much less frequently in my Calton than in my other cases. I think that's a huge benefit for anyone in a low or high humidity environment. Maybe other premium cases are similar in that regard though, I don't know.
There are 2 functions at work here: the body of the Calton is fiberglas, which is pretty well impervious to moisture, as are some other non-wooden cases. The second factor is the actual seal between top and bottom.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

That’s a great point—not that anyone should try it at home, but one could submerge a Calton case in water and the guitar would probably stay dry.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
If weight is a concern, check out a Visesnut flight case. They weigh a little over 7 lbs, and offer excellent protection and have an adjustable interior design. The downside is there's not too much room in the storage compartment under the neck, but that's a fairly minimal trade-off for such a light weight at that level of protection.
Absolutely love my Visenut which holds my Collings OM or Santa Cruz OM Grand.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 03-23-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graylocks View Post
Absolutely love my Visenut which holds my Collings OM or Santa Cruz OM Grand.
Agreed, my 00 is in a Visesnut. Excellent fit, and my shoulder stays in its socket when I pick it up!
Old 03-24-2023, 08:16 AM
Humanist

Default Calton cases

Years ago I posted in this thread about Karura…still a great choice if one wants a lighter-than-Calton case, but with superb protection.

Since then, I have been forced to order a Calton (!), to accommodate the body size and overall length of one of my Božo Podunavac guitars. They’re still a very well-made choice…

…and of course, Visesnut is now producing an even lighter case compared to Karura…not as stiff across the top as Calton or Karura, but a darned good product. So good, that I own a few!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-24-2023, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
There are 2 functions at work here: the body of the Calton is fiberglas, which is pretty well impervious to moisture, as are some other non-wooden cases. The second factor is the actual seal between top and bottom.
I'll second and third this. For non-travel use, one can purchase a el-cheapo case that is sythetic with a nice rubber seal, add a Humidipak, and now you have a case that can go anywhere in the house even in non-humidified rooms. And the packs lasts a long time, letting you know that the guitar is in the right humidity. Super dry weather does not dry the guitar out due to the seals holding in moisture from the humidipaks.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:47 PM

I'd want to get a case for the case, that would add even more weight.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I'd want to get a case for the case, that would add even more weight.
I know what you mean, even more so for a Hoffee case with a fancy finish.
There are case covers available that add a lot of functionality without much extra weight. They make the guitars easier to carry via shoulder and/or back straps and add some extra thermal insulation. Oh, and they add to the cost too
Old 03-25-2023, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I know what you mean, even more so for a Hoffee case with a fancy finish.
There are case covers available that add a lot of functionality without much extra weight. They make the guitars easier to carry via shoulder and/or back straps and add some extra thermal insulation. Oh, and they add to the cost too
I now have a Caseadillo case cover over my Calton case, but I bought the case cover before I bought the Calton case,* so the cost was already sunk. As you note, they are quite useful.

* I bought the case cover to protect, and to make transport easier for, a guitar I took on a flight to Europe.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:49 AM
Humanist

Default Calton cases

The Caseadillo product is superior to anything else out there. I have them for my dread & OM sized cases, and they work well beyond the Calton realm…I use them on my Calton, Karura, and Visesnut cases.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-25-2023, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
That’s a great point—not that anyone should try it at home, but one could submerge a Calton case in water and the guitar would probably stay dry.
Hi sinistral…
I own 2 Calton cases and while water-resistant, they are not air-tight. You would not want air-tight cases because of mold.

I have camera cases which are nearly air tight (they have an air release valve which I leave slightly open), and I open them and air them out routinely (and we dehumidify them using desiccants).

We have a member of this forum who had his Calton-with-guitar float in the water once (in Alaska). Perhaps he'll drop into the conversation. His guitar was dry after the adventure.

The Caltons do resist air exchange better than my wooden cases (covered with glued textured exterior), but after a week in the case they will acclimate to the level of the room.

While I get about a week more out of my incase humidifiers over the non-Calton cases, they still dry out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-25-2023, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I guess it comes down to finances.

I'll pay out for a Geib upgrade. But I don't fly my guitars.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi sinistral…
I own 2 Calton cases and while water-resistant, they are not air-tight. You would not want air-tight cases because of mold.

I have camera cases which are nearly air tight (they have an air release valve which I leave slightly open), and I open them and air them out routinely (and we dehumidify them using desiccants).

We have a member of this forum who had his Calton-with-guitar float in the water once (in Alaska). Perhaps he'll drop into the conversation. His guitar was dry after the adventure.

The Caltons do resist air exchange better than my wooden cases (covered with glued textured exterior), but after a week in the case they will acclimate to the level of the room.

While I get about a week more out of my incase humidifiers over the non-Calton cases, they still dry out.

I was being facetious—that was the purpose of “don’t try this at home.” I wouldn’t recommend submerging one in water. But if the case sat out on the tarmac in the rain it would probably fare better than a tolex-covered plywood case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion