The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2023, 03:19 PM

Default All walnut Martin 00 12-fret

Howdy y'all. Saw these nicely figured all walnut Martin 00 12-fretters were part of a special order at Manchester Music Mill recently.

Having never seen/heard/played an all walnut instrument in person I wanted to ask for AGF's collective thoughts and opinions.

I've read that walnut-topped guitars can be tricky beasts in that the material doesn't provide as much movement/vibration energy transfer as other more traditional top materials.

Let me know what y'all think. All walnut guitar and walnut top opinions welcomed!

Old 03-05-2023, 03:36 PM

What you get with a walnut top is a sweet tone but not much volume or projection. I’ve played a bunch of all-walnut instruments, both Martin guitars (a half dozen or so) and mountain dulcimers (countless,) and the sweet simple tone and low volume has been constant with all of them.

In other words, an all-walnut Martin is not going to be a versatile instrument, but it might have just the tone you’re looking for.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-05-2023, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I’m really drawn to their 000….

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 03-06-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
What you get with a walnut top is a sweet tone but not much volume or projection. I’ve played a bunch of all-walnut instruments, both Martin guitars (a half dozen or so) and mountain dulcimers (countless,) and the sweet simple tone and low volume has been constant with all of them.

In other words, an all-walnut Martin is not going to be a versatile instrument, but it might have just the tone you’re looking for.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
I would agree with what Wade said. I would add though, that due to the above, they would probably make excellent recording guitars.
Steve
Old 03-05-2023, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Never played an all walnut guitar but that Martin 00 is a fine looking guitar!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-05-2023, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

OK, so I have one of these, and truthfully, it is not for me. It is on my short list of to let go of because frankly, it is sitting in the case because it isn't super versatile if I say wanted to do go from say a Carter Family song to maybe something faster. Some may like it, some may not. It is nicely made etc. and is quite a looker, but for me anyways, it just does not have the tone/sound I desire.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
OK, so I have one of these, and truthfully, it is not for me. It is on my short list of to let go of because frankly, it is sitting in the case because it isn't super versatile if I say wanted to do go from say a Carter Family song to maybe something faster. Some may like it, some may not. It is nicely made etc. and is quite a looker, but for me anyways, it just does not have the tone/sound I desire.
Bummer! I saw they had 3 or 4 NOS (or "returned") specimens so I figured something might have been off. They're gorgeous guitars but the all walnut/walnut top thing seems to not be everyone's flavor.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
It sure does, thanks for the wise words, Wade.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
You're right on the mark. I have played that same model (perhaps even that same guitar pictured) at the Music Mill in NH. Low volume and projection but a sweet, mellow tone.

They also have a 000 14 fret with more volume and projection but again mellow compared to a similar sitka top model. https://manchestermusicmill.com/mart...-satin-w-case/

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-06-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:29 PM

I just bought one of these and it was exactly what I was looking for. I think it has great projection compared to other similar sized guitars I have played. If I need projection to play with a group the D-35 I have covers the bill. I wanted more of a coach guitar for around the house and this guitar is perfect. Some of the appointments on it like the tuners and non slotted headstock with an ebony faceplate are really cool touches. It was shipped and setup perfectly from the shop. My first time buying from them and the experience was awesome.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motzman13 View Post
I just bought one of these and it was exactly what I was looking for. I think it has great projection compared to other similar sized guitars I have played. If I need projection to play with a group the D-35 I have covers the bill. I wanted more of a coach guitar for around the house and this guitar is perfect. Some of the appointments on it like the tuners and non slotted headstock with an ebony faceplate are really cool touches. It was shipped and setup perfectly from the shop. My first time buying from them and the experience was awesome.
How do these things respond to a flatpick? Since it's a little quieter/warmer. I play almost exclusively with a pick and am not a strummer or fingerstylist.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:09 PM

Count me in the "just say NO to hardwood tops".
I have never heard one I thought sounded great, they tend to be quiet and simplistic, IMO.
There IS a reason that acoustic guitars have had softwood tops forever...
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 03-06-2023 at 09:14 PM. Reason: douple post
Old 03-07-2023, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB123 View Post
How do these things respond to a flatpick? Since it's a little quieter/warmer. I play almost exclusively with a pick and am not a strummer or fingerstylist.
I do strumming in addition to the Carter scratch and some fingerstyle, so when I use a pick when strumming, it sounds muted. It could also be I have a 30 year old Gibson that is way opened up sound wise that I am unfairly comparing it to.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
OK, so I have one of these, and truthfully, it is not for me. It is on my short list of to let go of because frankly, it is sitting in the case
Shoot me a PM if you're thinking of moving yours along!
Old 03-25-2023, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I would have interest in this guitar as well, if you decide to sell and if the prior poster decides against.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion