The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-01-2023, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

My leather wallet stays as slim as I can keep it, maybe 1/2" thick. IDs, licenses, 2 credit/debit cards and $100 emergency cash in twenties that I top off again as soon as I break into it. Cash is king when you're not in a store - and you never know when you're going to stumble into something for sale:
- $60 Epiphone SG
- $50 nylon string Yamaha
- $80 Lectrolab tube amp
- $40 aluminum canoe
- $40 for five nice instrument wall hangers
- various tools, knives, and a couple of red-dot firearm optics
- $58 ping pong table (cool story - Asian good luck number)
- $80 Laney 212 speaker cab
Of course, haggling a bit only adds to the thrill of the spontaneous chase.

I see Mrs. Tinnitus with a purse/handbag maybe once a month. Otherwise it's this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6311.jpg (42.2 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-02-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I’m old, it will never happen to me...
I agree, but what do I know? I still play and purchase CDs....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Of course.
I’d be curious to know the percentage of those who use a password to unlock their phones vs, those who don’t. I’m betting it’s a pretty significant number who do seeing as how you are encouraged to do so when you set your cellphone up.
Maybe I’ll do a poll.
After further discussion with my ER daughter about this she explained that they also use dead people's fingers and face recognition to open phones. As do ambulance drivers and firemen.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I only put a wallet in my back pocket when I am leaving my house, especially when driving because of the need for my drivers license. I always carry some cash and credit cards.

I don't have anything important on my cell phone for security reasons.

- Glenn
Old 02-02-2023, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Of course.
I’d be curious to know the percentage of those who use a password to unlock their phones vs, those who don’t. I’m betting it’s a pretty significant number who do seeing as how you are encouraged to do so when you set your cellphone up.
Maybe I’ll do a poll.
This segues into another plausibly valid reason to always carry some cash... If electricity/cell coverage is out for any reason, natural or otherwise, then an electronic POS (Point of Sale station - used to be called a cash register) will not work - no matter how desperate I am for what I'm trying to buy. No sense turning a mere inconvenient situation into a full-on emergency, hence the cash. And I carry twenties because a mercenary seller just might not be able/willing to make change for 100.

Speaking of storing everything online (or in the "cloud"), most states that issue concealed firearms permits will require that a holder carry the actual card. Same goes, I believe, for hunting, fishing and crab tags (YMMV). I'd hate to be challenged by LEO that won't/can't accept an interweb-dependent link or picture on a phone.

How/if one carries physical ID and cash is obviously a personal choice. Still a wallet guy here.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-03-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Since CDs are the comparator, it might be interesting to share a little piece of info that showed up in a trade magazine this week: for the first time in years, CDs are showing a yearly upswing in sales. Interestingly, albums are also showing an upswing in sales. I wonder if the yearly trends were simply people converting over to streaming and download? Have most people now gotten their libraries stabilized and are beginning a new consumption cycle?

Hmmm...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-03-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Smile CD's

I still carry a wallet and I still buy CD's.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-03-2023, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

We get both ice storms and hurricanes here in New England. It’s hard to use a credit card or your phone to pay when the power is out. But those merchants will still take green money. These outages have lasted up to a week and even 10 days.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
My phone lets me put a custom message on the lock screen -- any text I want. I put my wife's mobile number as an emergency contact. I figured all phones would allow this nowadays, but maybe not.

Still, an emergency contact in the wallet isn't a bad idea, a phone could get broken.
On my iPhone’s Lock Screen, there’s a keypad that can be used to unlock my phone if my face isn’t handy. And if the person with my phone doesn’t have my face or combination, there’s an “emergency” button that anyone can push and it brings up a keypad to make an emergency call (911 presumably) and there’s a “Medical ID” button in the lower left, in red. Anyone can press that and see my name, age, medical conditions, drug allergies, height, weight, and my emergency contact(s). That’s available without unlocking the phone. I think that’s common to all relatively recent iPhones.

-Ray
Old 02-03-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
We get both ice storms and hurricanes here in New England. It’s hard to use a credit card or your phone to pay when the power is out. But those merchants will still take green money. These outages have lasted up to a week and even 10 days.
We had a very localized power outage a few weeks ago; I didn’t know it when I left the house to go to the local fish market, because we had power. When I got to the fish market, all the employees were standing at the door our just outside the door. I asked if they could sell me what I wanted, and they said “no”; all of their scales and their POS system were electronic!
Old 02-04-2023, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
On my iPhone’s Lock Screen, there’s a keypad that can be used to unlock my phone if my face isn’t handy. And if the person with my phone doesn’t have my face or combination, there’s an “emergency” button that anyone can push and it brings up a keypad to make an emergency call (911 presumably) and there’s a “Medical ID” button in the lower left, in red. Anyone can press that and see my name, age, medical conditions, drug allergies, height, weight, and my emergency contact(s). That’s available without unlocking the phone. I think that’s common to all relatively recent iPhones.

-Ray
Yep. There shouldn't be a need to access anything beyond the passcode on an iPhone (assuming the info you mention is uploaded and set correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Since CDs are the comparator, it might be interesting to share a little piece of info that showed up in a trade magazine this week: for the first time in years, CDs are showing a yearly upswing in sales. Interestingly, albums are also showing an upswing in sales. I wonder if the yearly trends were simply people converting over to streaming and download? Have most people now gotten their libraries stabilized and are beginning a new consumption cycle?

Hmmm...

Bob
I don't know the exact numbers, but for illustrative purposes, 0.2% to 0.3% would represent a 50% increase. CDs and albums are getting a novelty resurgence, but I think it's still a fraction of the overall market.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:40 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Supply and demand. If enough people people buy 'em, retailers will stock 'em. Of course, we are in a cultural activist phase where tiny fractions of the population create PR storms that change the culture. We'll just have to see, won't we?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic