The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 AM

I’m 64 right now and been retired a year and my playing is better than ever.

Since I retired, I’ve been playing my guitar more and working on feeling and tone, and I’ve been playing with a bunch of backing tracks and different styles.

I gigged for about 28 years before I retired.

Between work and playing in the band I never really had time to work on my skills as a guitarist.

So now that I have the time ,I’ve been working on it and again I feel I’m playing my best at this time.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 PM

It was just about a year ago when I posted up this original thread, and today being my birthday, now 67 years old, I wanted to compare notes from then. I very rarely come on and post anything to the forum anymore, but I have checked in on this thread throughout the last year.

Some fun responses, some somber. A lot of confidant players that feel great about their current abilities no matter their age. The descriptor “fast” came up a few times. It took me a moment to remember the importance of that question from my teen years. “Are you fast” was the line to be answered when talking guitars in the 60’s and 70’s. I had forgotten all about that. And just for the record, I never was.

Recently I have stepped away from my acoustic rigs, concentrating only on the electric side of our shared love/hobby. My left wrist, even with soft cast, hard cast, rest and injections, just won’t come around to my way of thinking.

Is surgery in the cards for me? Nah, I think not. I’ll just plink around on the easy players here and there when I can.

And as for my birthday, tonight I’ll have a slice of Sicilian pie and an Orange Fanta ice cream float and reminisce about the days I wished I was “fast”🎸
Old 03-01-2024, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
It was just about a year ago when I posted up this original thread, and today being my birthday, now 67 years old, I wanted to compare notes from then. I very rarely come on and post anything to the forum anymore, but I have checked in on this thread throughout the last year.

Some fun responses, some somber. A lot of confidant players that feel great about their current abilities no matter their age. The descriptor “fast” came up a few times. It took me a moment to remember the importance of that question from my teen years. “Are you fast” was the line to be answered when talking guitars in the 60’s and 70’s. I had forgotten all about that. And just for the record, I never was.

Recently I have stepped away from my acoustic rigs, concentrating only on the electric side of our shared love/hobby. My left wrist, even with soft cast, hard cast, rest and injections, just won’t come around to my way of thinking.

Is surgery in the cards for me? Nah, I think not. I’ll just plink around on the easy players here and there when I can.

And as for my birthday, tonight I’ll have a slice of Sicilian pie and an Orange Fanta ice cream float and reminisce about the days I wished I was “fast”🎸
Happy Birthday!
Old 03-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

My friends from my motorcycle racing days have a great saying ...

The older I get ... The faster I was
Old 03-03-2024, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I can't help thinking about the "ergonomic" headless guitars like Strandberg or Eart. It looks like you can place them on your right thigh or your left (classical style). Has anyone tried one?

https://www.amazon.com/EART-Full-sca.../dp/B08BN93T1S

Last edited by hesson11; 03-03-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I can't help thinking about the "ergonomic" headless guitars like Strandberg or Eart. It looks like you can place them on your right thigh or your left (classical style). Has anyone tried one?

https://www.amazon.com/EART-Full-sca.../dp/B08BN93T1S
I thought the thread had to do with "At your age, how is your playing?" Your post looks like it should be a new post!
Old 03-03-2024, 08:13 PM

age 73... that's easy

Last edited by Jaxon; 03-03-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
I thought the thread had to do with "At your age, how is your playing?" Your post looks like it should be a new post!
Apologies if it was inappropriate. I just thought that our guitars—and the different kinds of guitars—have a bearing on how we're playing.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 AM

closing out my 69th year I play at least 2hrs a day and my chops are as good as ever, my musical knowledge helps with any loss of dexterity
Old 03-04-2024, 09:26 AM

one notch above poser....
Old 03-08-2024, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I'm almost 55 and I do keep improving, though that's a relative term. I know I'll never be as good as most of the people here on this forum, but I do my best with what I am able to do. Since to me, electric guitar is kind of a filler for my music, I guess I do okay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars