The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Thbank you everyone for the excellent information.

I am not talking real time - I am talking about one person lying down a track and sending to another person for them to add to it.

Right now I can deal at a reasonable level with Garage Band, I have MOTU's
DP setup (older version) on my rig, and I could also use Logic Express if I had to.

I can get tracks down; I've just never tried remote collaboration.
Ah ok then as everyone has noted it can be fairly simple especially if you both have something like say a free DropBox account

And the procedure is logistically just like dubbing an additional track to something you have already recorded. Although most DAW's can convert format, probably simpler to just decide to both use the same format i.e. like MP3 of WAV

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-27-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Although most DAW's can convert format, probably simpler to just decide to both use the same format i.e. like MP3 of WAV
If you have a DAW that doesn't care, it's even simpler to never bring it up. Save your format-matching brain cells for the video.

Couch Standards
Old 03-27-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you have a DAW that doesn't care, it's even simpler to never bring it up. Save your format-matching brain cells for the video.
Huh ? ya lost me, is there a logistical reason to not be on the same page ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-27-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Huh ? ya lost me, is there a logistical reason to not be on the same page ?
Some of the folks I work with, singers and voice actors especially, just barely know how to record. They have next to no understanding of how their rigs work, and learn everything by rote. To me, it's counterproductive to clutter their minds with things like sample rates and bit rates if it doesn't actually matter. I also work with total pros who have been doing it as long as I have, and they totally get that in 2023 with Pro Tools, again, it doesn't matter.

Couch Standards
Old 03-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Some of the folks I work with, singers and voice actors especially, just barely know how to record. They have next to no understanding of how their rigs work, and learn everything by rote. To me, it's counterproductive to clutter their minds with things like sample rates and bit rates if it doesn't actually matter. I also work with total pros who have been doing it as long as I have, and they totally get that in 2023 with Pro Tools, again, it doesn't matter.
Well you could be correct but there is a bit to unpack here.

First the OP is not on PT he asked about Garage Band specifically . And possibly an older version of DP and an old version of Logic Express
So maybe it does not matter in the current GB ? (don't know don't use it)
Second he does have home recording experience he said he can lay down the tracks, etc. just has not done any collaboration ..
And he specifically asked about "(systems, apps, files, brands, anything)? So I guess I just assume they actually want the info they ask for.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD